Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in the saddle after Vasectomy

Options
  • 18-01-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭

In the relative anonymity:rolleyes: of the form I wondered from cycling fraternity how long it was before getting back in the saddle after a vasectomy? There are forms in Board about the procedure and all that it entails but I was specifically asking about cycling considering the body-bicycle touch points. My friend **cough** doesn’t want to be off the bike for 2 or 3 weeks if that what it takes until getting back to exercising (esp cycling) to allow for recovery time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not helpful, but slightly amusing.

The wife of a friend of mine asked him to get the snip. She wasn't best pleased to hear that he wanted to keep his tubes intact in case she died and he needed to start again with another woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Which 'back in the saddle' would that be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Lumen wrote: »
    Not helpful, but slightly amusing.

The wife of a friend of mine asked him to get the snip. She wasn't best pleased to hear that he wanted to keep his tubes intact in case she died and he needed to start again with another woman.

I always pull the auld catholic card out.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I had the referral letter from my GP years ago.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I stayed off the bike for 2 weeks. Everyone is different but you'll know yourself when your balls have healed sufficiently to allow you sit on the saddle. I could have gone out earlier but decided to wait just to be sure, I had actually totally forgotten about it on the first spin after the procedure until I arrived home and the wife asked me if i had any discomfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It depends on two things.

Firstly, go with whatever the surgeon recommends and secondly, see how you feel after.

It's a good few years since *my friend* ;) had it done but the first day or two was quite uncomfortable - not excessively and not painful. I was back in work the next day.

I'd be surprised if you weren't back on the bike for at least a short spin in a week or two, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    ...I was back in work the next day...
    What about your 'friend'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Hungrycol wrote: »
    In the relative anonymity:rolleyes: of the form I wondered from cycling fraternity how long it was before getting back in the saddle after a vasectomy? There are forms in Board about the procedure and all that it entails but I was specifically asking about cycling considering the body-bicycle touch points. My friend **cough** doesn’t want to be off the bike for 2 or 3 weeks if that what it takes until getting back to exercising (esp cycling) to allow for recovery time.

I'm surprised we have got this far without a vas deferens joke....:D

OP, you have to go with what your surgeon recommends, how you would trust us lot with 'advice' on something like this boggles the mind.

In my own friends case, he was off the bike for about 3 weeks, c'est la vie........any complications from ignoring the surgeons advice dont really want to be contemplated, IMHO. The long term benefit is worth it.......I'm told;)

Oh, and load of ice-packs, jocks rather than boxers etc will definitely help recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hungrycol wrote: »

I drove myself home after the operation. The day of the operation just sit down and let the other half look after you. You be grand the next day but would wait at least 2 weeks before getting back on the bike.

PS, the procedure is very simple and not painful at all. Had a good chat with the doc while he was doing the job.

What about your 'friend'?

I stopped caring about him after my nuts turned black and blue :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

....when your balls have healed sufficiently....

For anyone interesting in or thinking about the procedure/cycling, it has nothing to do with your balls (at least it didn't when I had to find a Protestant hospital to do it about 30 years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

I have a friend also a cyclist that's thinking of having this procedure done. Would any of the posters-friends of posters recommended any where to have this done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

AmboMan wrote: »
    I have a friend also a cyclist that's thinking of having this procedure done. Would any of the posters-friends of posters recommended any where to have this done ?

John McCormick Vasectomy Ireland
    http://vasectomyireland.ie/

My friend can personally recommend it:pac:

To the OP
    I was on the turbo trainer after 10 days and back on the road after two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Got it done in Clane, top class guy, no pain and went well.

Only problem is he tries to connect with me via linkd in:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Got it done in Clane, top class guy

+1

a few days off the bike then back to commuting. Take it easy tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Cycle out of the saddle for a few weeks. Imagine the legs on you after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Got it done in Clane, top class guy, no pain and went well.

Only problem is he tries to connect with me via linkd in:rolleyes:

Aye, thats where I had it done too. Driving through Kilcock on the way brought tears to my eyes though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

I got it done in morhampton clinic, was back in work the next day a little tender but was ok.
    Went back on the bike 8days later with no pain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

So glad to not hear any " surgeon made a balls of it " story..... gets coat and swiftly leaves;)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

Ah great, answers to lots of questions I was gonna ask, thinking of cutting the inner tube meself and was wondering how long I'd have to leave the bike.....a saddle sore is bad enough.

Anyone any experience of Dr Willie O Brien (yes yes insert joke here!) he is in knocklyon and IFPA, him or Dr John O O'Keeffe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

TGD wrote: »
    For anyone interesting in or thinking about the procedure/cycling, it has nothing to do with your balls (at least it didn't when I had to find a Protestant hospital to do it about 30 years ago).

Ok pedantic pat, your ball sack.

[quote="mugwumpjism;102398308"

Anyone any experience of Dr Willie O Brien (yes yes insert joke here!) he is in knocklyon and IFPA, him or Dr John O O'Keeffe[/quote]

I've been to Dr. O keefe, good job i had none of the after effects I thought i might have expected (blueballs) but that's down to the open ended technique, rather than both ends sealed.

.....thinking of cutting the inner tube meself ......

Your commitment to DIY is staggering.

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm sure there'll be a youtube 'how to' video.

:eek:

Please mark any links as NSFW.

I think the instructions are included

Advertisement