Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric car recommendation

• 18-01-2017 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Which electric car would you recommend to replace a Nissan Micra sized car?

Yes the Leaf is a lovely car, but its a bit too big for my wife, who is so used to the size of her Micra that she shuns the very thought of anything the size of a Leaf or Golf.

Is there a proved electric car the size of a Micra avalable in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Renault Zoe maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Renault Zoe maybe?

Battery rental is €79 per month on them, that's nearly a grand a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

It amuses me that Renault pitch themselves as leaders in electric cars when only a few short years ago they had such trouble with even getting non-windy-up windows

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Brasso

The VW Up has an electric version but you would need to import from the UK and I imagine it wouldn't have as good a range as the Leaf. They are a very compact car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,284 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, there is a dedicated EV subforum here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1634

Ask one of the resident mods here to move your thread over there.

If you are open to a hybrid then the Toyota Yaris hybrid is similar in size to a Micra. Doesn't need to be plugged in either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I loved the Yaris Hybrid I had as a rental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Probably the Zoe. The previous poster is incorrect. Battery Rental is now optional (you should purchase the battery).
    300km range in the real world. Q90 model has 43kW AC rapid charging which allows you to charge from 0-80% in about 30-40 minutes.
    Not as much poke as a Leaf or Ioniq... but still more than enough to leave anything combustion powered under 200hp for dust at the lights.

However a new electric Micra is rumored to be on the way later in 2018 using the Zoe's 41kWh pack.
    The 2017 Micra (petrol) is built on the same platform in the same factory as the Zoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What's your budget, LordSutch? There are only 2 small EVs (4 seaters) available at the moment. The Zoe and the BMW i3. That latter is an excellent car by all means, and the only affordable EV that drives really well, but it's a good bit more expensive than the Zoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Hi there Mod Unkel, (re bazz26) I guess you need to move this over to the EV forum?

The Zoe looks good, specially now as the batteries can be purchased too!

Loads more questions when this moves over . . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The i3 can be purchased in the UK near New for a big saving.

• Advertisement

Not sure I saw mentioned but there are two battery options for the Zoe, 24 Kwh and 40 Kwh giving about 120-150 kms range to 200-280 kms range.

I would also opt for the 44 Kw charger.

The 40 Kwh might push the price up a bit high.

I3 would be a seriously fun 2nd hand EV. But for range the 40 Kwh would be excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Balmed Out wrote: »
    The i3 can be purchased in the UK near New for a big saving.

A good option as well.

Advertisement