Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000cc Sports bike

• 18-01-2017 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Although im not in a financial position at the moment there is no harm in gathering info now. I have my commuter bike which does the job fine. I do have a hankering for a 1000cc sports bike that I would use once or twice a week during the summer months and then put into storage for the sh1tty months. Many here have experienced lots of bikes so im looking for your top pick. Budget will be small €2000, so most likely a bike from the late 90's or even early 2000's. Im thinking of something that was ahead of its time with performance and gadgets.

How it preforms on the twistys is not important as I will be commuting on it. I dont mind something a bit rough as it can be a project to keep me busy. No need to link to any adds now as im not in a position to buy now. So what do you all think.

Criteria
    Any make or model
    1000cc sports bike
    fancy pants equipment, an instant classic.
    Budget as close to €2000 as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Aprilia RSV 1000 v twin....savage bike for not alot of dosh
    Classic shape R1,but will be hard to find a good one sub 2k budget
    GSXR 1000....great engine and a solid bike
    Blade 929 or 954cc.....Comfy bike and a good engine.

The original R1 moved the goal posts for every other sports bike back in 98/99....still a beast of a bike in this day and age.

if it were me,then id try and save a few more euros and go for a good clean example of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Be mad to limit yourself to a litre bike Joe, so many fabulous bikes out there. And no disrespect, but its a whole different world on a 750-1000cc supersports bike to what you are riding now big step up and not very forgiving if your heavy handed on the throttle.

I would also look at GSXR750, they are arguably one of the best all round sports bikes ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Stewygriffin..the rsv is one that is top of my list. Love the look of it. Mcn review does state it can be unforgiven for a novice to a sportsbike.

Also the r1 keeps getting mentioned alright but it does stretch the budget. The blue colour scheme of some of the r1's don't excite me either. It's defo a consideration though.

Gary...I hear you loud and clear but like u said I don't be throwing the bike into corners. Just like me old cb and now nc I take my time to adjust to how the bike handles. A highly recommended bike is the 600cc cbr but is it possible after the first summer I'll be left thinking and wondering what a 1000cc feels like.

I spotted a zx9rr on donedeal. It's a 1999 version. Black and red scheme. Looks the biz to me. Any opinions on the zx9rr?

Just checked out the gsxr750 Gary. I'm liking it. Any year in mind?

Stewygriffin..the rsv is one that is top of my list. Love the look of it. Mcn review does state it can be unforgiven for a novice to a sportsbike.

Also the r1 keeps getting mentioned alright but it does stretch the budget. The blue colour scheme of some of the r1's don't excite me either. It's defo a consideration though.

Gary...I hear you loud and clear but like u said I don't be throwing the bike into corners. Just like me old cb and now nc I take my time to adjust to how the bike handles. A highly recommended bike is the 600cc cbr but is it possible after the first summer I'll be left thinking and wondering what a 1000cc feels like.

I spotted a zx9rr on donedeal. It's a 1999 version. Black and red scheme. Looks the biz to me. Any opinions on the zx9rr?

Just checked out the gsxr750 Gary. I'm liking it. Any year in mind?

Way back in 2000 I bought a new R1,had it for 3 years then traded her in against a GSXR 1000 in 2004.Wished I never sold her and kept her,as they are a screamer of a superbike and they are also now a classic investment piece.

A good clean one will be hard to come by for a 2k budget,but not impossible to find one.

Those RSV,s are animal too,lovely low down torque and before you know it,you are a mile down the road.
    They like to chew up rear tyres though,if you dont set the suspension up right and are heavy on the throttle all the time.
    But one hell of a great machine,and cheap enough too.

Wonda is right about the GSXR 750 bike.

Bigger engine than the 600 so less revving the nutts off it,but more able to keep with the litre superbikes.

Thing is,you will never really use as litre superbike in this country on public roads......if you know what I mean.
    GSXR 750 or a Kwacker ZXR 9r would be a lovely all rounder bike.

Id buy a good clean early R1,if there was one about and the money was right,have a hankering for one again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

zx9 is more sport tourer I believe(?)

Wossack wrote: »
    zx9 is more sport tourer I believe(?)

MCN mention it was released as a sports bike but couldnt compete with the other makers so it was then seen as more as a sports tourer.

Bigger engine than the 600 so less revving the nutts off it,but more able to keep with the litre superbikes.

Thing is,you will never really use as litre superbike in this country on public roads......if you know what I mean.
    GSXR 750 or a Kwacker ZXR 9r would be a lovely all rounder bike.

Id buy a good clean early R1,if there was one about and the money was right,have a hankering for one again.

What year are we talking regarding the GSXR 750? is it a carb or fuel injection? Something along these lines? http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=232812155&categories=SportsAndSuperSportsBike&scopeId=MB&isSearchRequest=true&transmissions=MANUAL_GEAR&ambitCountry=DE&fuels=PETROL&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&maxPrice=3000&minCubicCapacity=750&maxCubicCapacity=1000&makeModelVariant1.makeId=23600&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=GSXR+750&pageNumber=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

929 or 954 'Blade, as mentioned, is rock-solid and probably the most fun you can have by yourself. I personally love older R1s, and ZX-10Rs provided you sort that rear damping before the thing murders you. The GSX-R750 is probably one of the finest sporting weapons available to the art.

jimgoose wrote: »
    929 or 954 'Blade, as mentioned, is rock-solid and probably the most fun you can have by yourself. I personally love older R1s, and ZX-10Rs provided you sort that rear damping before the thing murders you. The GSX-R750 is probably one of the finest sporting weapons available to the art.

The blade is also up there but ive had 2 Hondas now. Im not ruling them out but part of me wants to try something different. Lad in the job has a '02 954 so I can test ride that at some stage. Another lad has a '05 1L gsxr so I can also give that a blast. The Repsol colour scheme is the dream:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd say 954 over an RSV only that you mention commuting on it

Wossack wrote: »
    I'd say 954 over an RSV only that you mention commuting on it

Just looking at 954 reviews. Very tempting. Commuting will be 1 day a week during summer months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I just looked a few dyno charts for where the 40-60hp "going to the shops" range is (equates to about 160-240hp/tonne).

FZ07: 5000-7000rpm.
    R6: 6000-8000rpm.
    R1: 3600-5600rpm.
    S1000RR: 4000-5500rpm.
    S1000R: 3500-4000rpm.

The R6 needs an extra 1k revs over the FZ07, which I guess would be considered a tractable bike for general hooning. That doesn't seem much.

The difference is that they all produce 20bhp from idle, whereas the R6 needs 4000rpm.

So is it just pulling away where the 600 sports bikes have issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You know you want to!:D
    qfpblzrc.jpg

Lumen wrote: »
    I just looked a few dyno charts for where the 40-60hp "going to the shops" range is (equates to about 160-240hp/tonne).

FZ07: 5000-7000rpm.
    R6: 6000-8000rpm.
    R1: 3600-5600rpm.
    S1000RR: 4000-5500rpm.
    S1000R: 3500-4000rpm.

The R6 needs an extra 1k revs over the FZ07, which I guess would be considered a tractable bike for general hooning. That doesn't seem much.

The difference is that they all produce 20bhp from idle, whereas the R6 needs 4000rpm.

So is it just pulling away where the 600 sports bikes have issues?

In English please:o

So acceleration and top end speed are two advantages a 1000cc has over a 600cc?

Blade1......two bikes ive seen on boards that make me dream are your above RSV and batman_oh R1. Or I think it was an R1 anyway. Silver and maroon I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Blade1......two bikes ive seen on boards that make me dream are your above RSV and batman_oh R1. Or I think it was an R1 anyway. Silver and maroon I think

Regarding the RSV.. it makes absolutely no sense having one.
    It's not comfortable, It's terrible through towns.
    Easy to flood and foul plugs.
    You'd need to do your homework before getting one.
    Saying that, grin factor is off the scale and sounds fantastic.

To be honest if I was you and thinking about an Aprilias, I'd be looking at either a Tuono or, if you could source one, a Falco.
    If I didn't have the RSV, I'd have either in a heartbeat!
    There was a Falco on donedeal for not much over 2k around a year ago.
    I would have loved to buy it but I couldn't justify another Aprilia in the garage!

Tuono
    sb8ezvbs.jpg

Falco
    mxk253dh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

You're never going to use the bike to it's potential in Ireland so choose the bike you like most superficially.

The beat of a V-twin is preferable to the whine of any 4 for me, but each to his own.

He has a Panigale now.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He has a Panigale now.:)

Yes, he has Big Twin Hor'den. Once you go black... :D

blade1 wrote: »

To be honest if I was you and thinking about an Aprilias, I'd be looking at either a Tuono or, if you could source one, a Falco.
    I would have loved to buy it but I couldn't justify another Aprilia in the garage!

Tuono
    sb8ezvbs.jpg

Falco
    [IMG]http://fs5.directupload.net 170119/mxk253dh.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah but its an Italian V-Tiwn and its made to look good.
    Who gives a fudge about all the stuff about comfort and city riding...:pac:

But I agree with you,same with my 996,its an absolute pig to ride in 1st or 2nd gear at low revs in city centre traffic.
    My arse gets hot form the underseat cans,but its the style and sound from it that keeps me addicted to it.:D

20151120_150021_zpsp1flojdc.jpg

blade1 wrote: »

Tuono
    sb8ezvbs.jpg

Falco
    mxk253dh.jpg

The tuono just doesn't have the sports bike look I'm after. Reading up on it, it sounds like a crazy machine.

And this is exactly why I started this thread. I would have overlooked the falco but after reading up on it it's defo on my list. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/aprilia/sl1000-falco/3444117/

98-00 TL1000r is a future classic too,1000cc v twin with plenty of grunt.Big bastid of a bike with lots of presence on the road.
    3k would get you a well sorted one.

am I the only one who likes hearing the nuts revved off a 600 haha. I wouldnt limit yourself to just 1000 or 750

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I've never riden a TL but I've never heard anyone say I should.

am I the only one who likes hearing the nuts revved off a 600 haha. I wouldnt limit yourself to just 1000 or 750

I wont rule out a 600/750cc but for now im looking at the 1000cc market.

Blade1 you swine. The falco keeps popping up on searches. This aint bad
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611229979106?advertising-location=at_bikes&body-type=Super%20Sports&radius=1500&postcode=rg20td&sort=price-asc&price-to=3000&maximum-mileage=30000&cc-from=900&cc-to=1100&page=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dont forget the ZX10...Absolute animal of a bike, You would also get a CBR11000 "Blackbird" now really clean for cheap money.

This is a sweet machine aswell.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/honda/1998-honda-vtr-firestorm-mint/12117400

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dont forget the ZX10...Absolute animal of a bike, You would also get a CBR11000 "Blackbird" now really clean for cheap money.

This is a sweet machine aswell.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/honda/1998-honda-vtr-firestorm-mint/12117400

Also twin exhausts or under seat exhaust looks great

Advertisement