Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000cc Sports bike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Picked up a 02 zx9r recently OP. ( moving up from a zx6r) Although its not a 1000cc it would give any of the cbr's , R1, gsxrs a run for there money ... depending on the pilot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Picked up a 02 zx9r recently OP. ( moving up from a zx6r) Although its not a 1000cc it would give any of the cbr's , R1, gsxrs a run for there money ... depending on the pilot ;)

Yeah it's on the list alright. After what blade1 and others have said about the RSV mille I think I'll regrettably take it off the list. Looks fantastic but I don't think in would like the snatchy throttle.

I don't think the busa or blackbird fits the criteria either. Some lads here have had a blackbird. Anyone care to give your experience with them.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Joe the Blackbird is a stunning machine, all round excellent. It stupidly quick and handles very well for the size and weight, the riding position I found a little arkward, but I am sure after a few weeks you would be fine.

There is a reason why so many people have them and never sell them on.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Joe the Blackbird is a stunning machine, all round excellent. It stupidly quick and handles very well for the size and weight, the riding position I found a little arkward, but I am sure after a few weeks you would be fine.

There is a reason why so many people have them and never sell them on.

This one looks well. https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-blackbird/14311989

It does, sure give Mick a ring he knows them inside out and what to look for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Inline 4 sports bike?
    For the money this will do the job no sweat!
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-gsx-r-s-rad/14469184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've got a GPz900R requiring light restoration if you want one - in 1985 it was the fastest bike in the world :)

I'd be keen myself to get on a 929/954 Blade. I like the torque of litre triples though and the 955/1050 Triumphs are great bikes although thinner on the ground.

Scrap the cap!

Spotted that earlier blade1. Also city spares have some nice cbr up. Head is melted looking between mobile.de and mcn. For what I'm looking to spend there is no point going abroad. At this stage I think I'll have to rule out an r1. They are just too much out of my budget. I have realised though that bikes that already have mods done to them attract me. I'll keep hitting refresh on donedeal. I'm going to ask a lad I know for a spin on his 954. See what I'm missing out on.

Should I be picky over what version of cbr? 954 929 etc etc

Well if you can pick up a 954 for within your budget go with that.
    It's the most comfy of them all.
    Powerwise blades are blades.... Really smooth even power curve from bottom to redline.
    Earlier ones are more twitchy and can sometimes want to throw you off when pushing them.
    The 929 was probably the least popular of the bunch.
    Thirsty and less powerful than the R1.
    Also Gsxr1000 came out around then.

Something else I don't think was mentioned yet.
    http://www.adverts.ie/11517532

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Something else I don't think was mentioned yet.
    http://www.adverts.ie/11517532

Just doesnt say sportsbike to me. The falco just about looked sporty enough. At the mo a CBR is leading the list. At the moment;)

Joe an FZ1 is also a lovely machine (R1 Engine) and looks very well, they are around a while so should be easy enough to find a clean one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

You would get a nice sv1000s for that kinda money. I still miss mine. ****ing savage bikes.

Joe an FZ1 is also a lovely machine (R1 Engine) and looks very well, they are around a while so should be easy enough to find a clean one.

The fz1 is too far outside my budget. I might have to change my criteria as im finding it hard to decide on a sportsbike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Kawasaki h2 is your best option

Johnboner wrote: »
    Kawasaki h2 is your best option

Not fast enough:D

Yeah its the H2R he needs....

goodlad wrote: »
    Tbh if you are looking at bikes that old i would just look at a blackbird or busa over any of them

I met up with a blackbird seller today. Its a 1999 carb version. 37,000km. I sat on it to see how it would feel and to be honest it felt fine. Didn't feel too heavy either. Over all it was in decent nik. Usual scuffs form a 18 year old bike.

• Advertisement

It was on twistys i really felt like i needed to wrestle the blackbird into corners which i hated. Still hands down the smoothest engine of any bike ive been on. It just wrecked my wrists and neck after a while on it.

I dont think i will ever go back to a bike thats not an upright seating position tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

There's a few nice blades about but way overpriced at the moment, some guys are believing the hype that ALL blades are very sought after :)
    I've been looking for a 954 for a while but it's very hard to deal with someone that thinks their bike is worth 4750 when in fact it's really only worth 3250 to a potential buyer, those bikes are still up on donedeal.
    Even a few well priced 929's have not moved in a while so what does that tell you ?

My list would be in order of preference

954 blade
    zx9r - very underrated bike and very comfy
    r1 - any year
    gsxr 750 or an early 1000 if you can stretch a bit

mamax wrote: »
    There's a few nice blades about but way overpriced at the moment, some guys are believing the hype that ALL blades are very sought after :)
    I've been looking for a 954 for a while but it's very hard to deal with someone that thinks their bike is worth 4750 when in fact it's really only worth 3250 to a potential buyer, those bikes are still up on donedeal.
    Even a few well priced 929's have not moved in a while so what does that tell you ?

My list would be in order of preference

954 blade
    zx9r - very underrated bike and very comfy
    r1 - any year
    gsxr 750 or an early 1000 if you can stretch a bit
    Jesus, and to think I sold a 05 1000cc blade with 8500 miles on it,three and a half years ago for 4k.
    Also,it would make bits of a 954.
    9cc3uqm3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Classic bikes and bits in Ballymount have a tidy 750SRAD asking 1500...

Joe sitting on a bike will tell you very little, I felt on the Blackbird I was nearly lying down and it was so arkward. You would really need to bring it on an extended test ride TBH.....

Joe sitting on a bike will tell you very little, I felt on the Blackbird I was nearly lying down and it was so arkward. You would really need to bring it on an extended test ride TBH.....

I get that. It's just mentioned how heavy etc. It is but I found it ok. If the blackbird is not comfortable then surely the r1,cbr would be worse due to to more extreme angle?

I get that. It's just mentioned how heavy etc. It is but I found it ok. If the blackbird is not comfortable then surely the r1,cbr would be worse due to to more extreme angle?

Absolutely, Where did you get the idea that a supersports bike was comfortable? Its anything but, and coming from what you are riding now will only hammer it home even more. Wrist pain, shoulder pain and leg cramps are all par the course for a SS bike m8. Obviously its different for every individual based on the size of the body.

Its a case of what you dont know wont hurt you, if you never rode a nice comfy tourer and all you had was a blade etc then you adapt and get used to it.

I certainly would not be buying a SS bike for commuting, how the **** would you keep a busa in back tyres commuting 24/7!!!

There are plenty of sports tourers out there that are very sporty in both looks and performance...You dont have to have a super sports bike to go 160mph +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

About ten years ago I had a loan of a Blackbird for a week, when my usual ride was a CBR600F

Felt like I was driving a two wheleed bus. Heavy and slow to turn, and not that fast in a straight line either. Wasn't disappointed to hand the keys back.

Scrap the cap!

Good points. Don't forget though. My commute is 45 mins. N4 & M4. It will be one day a week during the summer on a dry day. It's purely to mix things up from my standard bike. I also see it as the type of bike I can sell and try another bike. My nc is a keeper but I have a hankering for something a little more fun. I'm nearly sure I can wrangle a day loan of a 954 so I'll know after that if it's doable.

Fz1 outside my budget.
    Firestorm= the look doesn't blow me away.

• Advertisement

You are going through the same debate i went through a while back. I only work 20 minutes from home these days so was all set on getting something good for a blast some days so picked up a zx10r but it was sold on within 2 months (i made profit on it though :D)

I think you need to to abandon comfort as a factor tbh. In saying that, the old gsxr1000 are relatively comfortable as they are physically bigger bikes back then and tend to not be so cramped. But that also makes them very similar seating to a busa and bird.

Like you said though, this isnt shopping for a bike that needs to tick any boxes for a commuter or anything like that., You are shopping for something thats fun for short blasts. I wanted the same so bought the zx10r and even after that short blast my god damn neck, wrists and knees were ****ing because im a unfit fat fúcker... haha

Advertisement