Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000cc Sports bike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

goodlad wrote: »
    You are going through the same debate i went through a while back. I only work 20 minutes from home these days so was all set on getting something good for a blast some days so picked up a zx10r but it was sold on within 2 months (i made profit on it though :D)

I think you need to to abandon comfort as a factor tbh. In saying that, the old gsxr1000 are relatively comfortable as they are physically bigger bikes back then and tend to not be so cramped. But that also makes them very similar seating to a busa and bird.

Like you said though, this isnt shopping for a bike that needs to tick any boxes for a commuter or anything like that., You are shopping for something thats fun for short blasts. I wanted the same so bought the zx10r and even after that short blast my god damn neck, wrists and knees were ****ing because im a unfit fat fúcker... haha

Spot on goodlad. I've spotted a 1999 cbr919 and a r1 on donedeal nearly within budget. As mentioned above there are selling bikes that are easily 1000 overpriced going about. If someone has a bike kitted out with a top exhaust, suspension, power commander etc and full service history then maybe just maybe they can advertise the bike at a premium. But I'm see late 90,s cbr going for more than a 2002 model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

listermint wrote: »

Definitely. I spent a lot of time looking for one a few years back but they were out of budget. Taking people's opionons onboard I suppose a sports tourer could satisfy my needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

not that fast in a straight line either.

Should have upshifted a bit more m8 the CBR11000XXX is quick as ****!

;););)

Ah I remember now what slightly put me off the vfr vtec. All this talk about checking valve clearances. It probably shouldn't concern me now as I would probably only put 1500 km a year on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah I remember now what slightly put me off the vfr vtec. All this talk about checking valve clearances. It probably shouldn't concern me now as I would probably only put 1500 km a year on it.

All bikes should have clearances checked at regular maintenance periods.

Not sure why that would put someone off. It's part of owning an engine..

mamax wrote: »

Second link not working for now. I spotted the top one earlier. Pet hate of mine is someone selling a bike and putting up 1 - 3 pictures. 8-12 pictures will only help a potential buyer make that call. Also giving little detail in the description.

listermint wrote: »
    All bikes should have clearances checked at regular maintenance periods.

Not sure why that would put someone off. It's part of owning an engine..

It's just that it's supposed to be a difficult job on the vtech. The topic always crops up on the net. My nc is very handy and I do that myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's just that it's supposed to be a difficult job on the vtech. The topic always crops up on the net. My nc is very handy and I do that myself.

It is. It takes a full day to do properly because the variable cam profiling is done via oil-pressure and you don’t have that without the engine running. It's like a bastard of Ford VCT and a ZXR750 with 50,000 miles up. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

If ya buy that R1 take it real handy!! insane jump from the nc700 with 51bhp that r1 in 2nd gear will go faster than the nc700 top speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

jimgoose wrote: »
    It is. It takes a full day to do properly because the variable cam profiling is done via oil-pressure and you don’t have that without the engine running. It's like a bastard of Ford VCT and a ZXR750 with 50,000 miles up. :D

Not the first time Honda have produced a complex engineering solution looking for a problem, and not the last.

Scrap the cap!

Absolute minter, nose cone not original colour but doesnt mean it was crashed. Very low milage for the year too, well worth 2k.

Thats the one I viewed. Must say its in good condition cosmetically. Just the usual marks from a bike that age. Seller is a gent also. If I decide on a blackbird ill be giving him a call back.

Blade1 suggestion of a Tuono OR Falco has me interested again.

Anyone know these bikes
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/aprilia/05-aprilia-tuono/11539336

http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/aprilia/05-aprilia-tuono/11539336

Out of budget but you never know.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Absolute minter, nose cone not original colour but doesnt mean it was crashed. Very low milage for the year too, well worth 2k.

Yep the grey colour is a plastic sticker.
    He has some panels carbon dipped

jjtpiw.jpg

2nuix3b.jpg

What do you think. Imported by someone in sligo about 3 year ago with 18k on it.

Never really mind the looks, how does it ride. They are a very reliable machine and I would have it over an Aprilla anyday, not that the APs are bad but you dont wanna pay for a summer bike and spend the summer fixing it lol.

I get that blackbirds are reliable etc... BUT its still an 18 year old bike and imo his asking price is bonkers. I think he needs to whip about 500 quid off his asking price.

Also im guessing you are going to just add this onto your current insurance policy. Give them a buzz and ask because you cant insure your current bike then add on a more powerful bike as a second machine, they will charge the main cost based on the biggest bike on the policy. And some companys wont offer fully comp on a bike older than 15 years. So deffo suss that side of things out

I get that blackbirds are reliable etc... BUT its still an 18 year old bike and imo his asking price is bonkers. I think he needs to whip about 500 quid off his asking price.

Also im guessing you are going to just add this onto your current insurance policy. Give them a buzz and ask because you cant insure your current bike then add on a more powerful bike as a second machine, they will charge the main cost based on the biggest bike on the policy. And some companys wont offer fully comp on a bike older than 15 years. So deffo suss that side of things out

I didnt realise the would base the premium on the bigger bike. Better ring them so.

I didnt realise the would base the premium on the bigger bike. Better ring them so.

Otherwise you would have lads buying 600 bandit then adding a busa to the policy for feck all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I dont think i will ever go back to a bike thats not an upright seating position tbh.

I agree. I find that if I'm erect that I'm much more comfortable :pac:

€80 to add blackbird to my policy and next years quote will be based off my current bike. Not bad.

€80 to add blackbird to my policy and next years quote will be based off my current bike. Not bad.

Thats bonkers tbh. Ive never heard an insurance company doing that before but sure dont complain. Ya gonna make the dude an offer on the bird?

Thats bonkers tbh. Ive never heard an insurance company doing that before but sure dont complain. Ya gonna make the dude an offer on the bird?

Done. Test riding in the morning. This interesting thread may come to and end soon:D

Well make it an extended test ride Joe, none of this up and down the road business. Up and down the gearbox aggressive and make sure the linked brakes are 100%, an hour at least leave your own bike there as deposit or whatever.

I was just about to post more or less what wonda did. But you would be hard pressed to get an hour. I was just going to say dont be going for a spin around the block. You wanna hit some open roads where you can get some speed up. Hammer that ****er in 2nd and try not to piss yourself... haha!

If you havent used linked breaks before then its going to feel weird. Essentially the front also gives you a slight back break and the back also gives you a slight front break. Hit both and the bike will stop is a few seconds

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Well make it an extended test ride Joe, none of this up and down the road business. Up and down the gearbox aggressive and make sure the linked brakes are 100%, an hour at least leave your own bike there as deposit or whatever.

A test drive needs you to at least take the bike onto a motorway to get it up to speed.

Bought the bird. Delighted with it. Very windy out so didn't go mad. Absolutely no trouble going up and down the gears. The seating position is strange but I'll get used to it. It's some difference having a fared bike rather than my naked bikes so far in the wind. The seller is bang on and had alot of work done to it with receipts to go with it.

Thanks all for the info and suggestions.

Bought the bird. Delighted with it. Very windy out so didn't go mad. Absolutely no trouble going up and down the gears. The seating position is strange but I'll get used to it. It's some difference having a fared bike rather than my naked bikes so far in the wind. The seller is bang on and had alot of work done to it with receipts to go with it.

Thanks all for the info and suggestions.

This one?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-blackbird-cbr-1100xx/13944284

Looks like a nice clean bike, keep it handy, it's easy to go very fast very quickly without noticing when you have fairing and a screen to keep the wind off you.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    This one?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-blackbird-cbr-1100xx/13944284

Looks like a nice clean bike, keep it handy, it's easy to go very fast very quickly without noticing when you have fairing and a screen to keep the wind off you.

Yep that's her. I've ordered a service kit and haynes manual.

Advertisement