Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50% OFF GoCar Signup fee!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

bk wrote: »
    Just to point out that GoCar have managed to completely piss off the Irish EV community with these!

While it is great that people can try out a great EV like the i3 and see how great EV's actually are, GoCar has just been leaving them at the public charging spaces all day recharging, which blocks the space that other EV owners need to use!

GoCar should really be installing their own private charging points and not using the public ones.

Is it not the customers leaving them there?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Is it not the customers leaving them there?

The company placed the parking spots for the Electric cars right next to the chargers. Also they encourage customers to use them by giving free mileage to customers who fully charge the cars on return.

So it is true that customers do it, but it is very clear that the company wants customers to do it and have it set up to abuse this public resource.

If the company was serious about EV's then they should have their own dedicated parking spaces, with their own dedicated charging points that can only be used by GoCars and are paid for them. That would eliminate this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The company placed the parking spots for the Electric cars right next to the chargers. Also they encourage customers to use them by giving free mileage to customers who fully charge the cars on return.

So it is true that customers do it, but it is very clear that the company wants customers to do it and have it set up to abuse this public resource.

If the company was serious about EV's then they should have their own dedicated parking spaces, with their own dedicated charging points that can only be used by GoCars and are paid for them. That would eliminate this issue.

Or if they were charged for using the charge points they'd stop, but then everyone would loose the subsidiy and have to pay for the chargers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Del2005 wrote: »
    Or if they were charged for using the charge points they'd stop, but then everyone would loose the subsidiy and have to pay for the chargers.

Most EV users would actually welcome a "fair" charging rate for public charging. As people abusing chargers and taking up the space is a major issue.

But this wouldn't actually solve this particular issue, as GoCar would continue to simply use the public chargers and space. They really need to install their own, dedicated chargers in their own space to leave the space free in the public chargers for EV users.

Of course the real solution to all of this is for the government to install way more chargers, both slow and fast chargers. eCars consider the rollout of chargers finished and has no interest in installing more, which is a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Wheety wrote: »
    I've been stalking that thread. Looks like a Leaf is the only real option for a few years. Would love an Ioniq but it's out of my price range. I'll keep reading the EV thread anyway :D

Have a look at the Renault Zoe 40
    Great range
    No battery rental

• Advertisement

foodaholic wrote: »
    Have a look at the Renault Zoe 40
    Great range
    No battery rental

If he can't afford an Ioniq, then he can't afford a Renault Zoe 40, they are about the same price. The Zoe 40 is €27,500, the Inoniq is €29,000, but can be gotten for 26k with scrappage deal.

To be honest, the Ioniq looks like a much better car. The Zoe is a small city type car, so very overpriced at 27k IMO. The Ioniq, is a full big sedan car, 30k would be a normal price for a car like this even in Petrol/Diesel version. So overall better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Used GoCar for the first time yesterday. Great system. I was driving a Hyundai i30. Now I want one of those now :D Lovely car.

I already have a car but my Dad was in hospital so it was handy to just grab a car near the hospital and go home and collect my Mam instead of having to go home for the car.

You can tweet them with a picture after your first rental for €10 credit.

Wheety wrote: »
    Used GoCar for the first time yesterday. Great system. I was driving a Hyundai i30. Now I want one of those now :D Lovely car.

If you are looking, you should check out the Hyundai Ioniq, slightly bigger then the i30 and fully Electric. Very cheap running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

If you are looking, you should check out the Hyundai Ioniq, slightly bigger then the i30 and fully Electric. Very cheap running costs.

I'm the poster who you said "If he can't afford an Ioniq" about earlier :D

Think I'll have to wait a couple of years for a 2nd hand one. I do like the look of them but the i30 was great too. It was a dirty diesel though.

Advertisement