Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Electricity or plumbing for kitchen island

• 18-01-2017 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Any ideas on the cost of moving electrics or plumbing for a kitchen island?

Current situation is builders finish with concrete floor, and all services along one wall. But it's a short wall for a full working kitchen, so an island design has been suggested. However, there are no services in place for an island.

I'm think I'd prefer the hob on the island, rather than the sink, but that would mean having to install electrics for an extractor on the ceiling.

Which would be easier to do? How big a job would it be and what would it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If the house is a bungalow there should be no problem getting power to a ceiling extractor and exhaust pipe out , getting electricity/gas to the island could be more difficult especially if underfloor heating is involved

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

If the house is a bungalow there should be no problem getting power to a ceiling extractor and exhaust pipe out , getting electricity/gas to the island could be more difficult especially if underfloor heating is involved

It's a dormer bungalow, so power and an exhaust pipe for an extractor would probably involve taking up floorboards upstairs.

There's no underfloor heating. Oh and no gas either. Heating is oil fired, so it'll be an electric hob.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Did you ask the builder?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

BryanF wrote: »
    Did you ask the builder?

The "builder" is long gone... I'm buying it as it is, so I'll need to get someone in to do whatever needs doing.

Having an idea of what's involved and what it might cost would help me decide if it's a possibility or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get a pop up extractor, many extractors use filters and don't need to be externally vented.

http://qosy.co/7-best-downdraft-extractor-fans/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ted1 wrote: »
    Get a pop up extractor, many extractors use filters and don't need to be externally vented.

http://qosy.co/7-best-downdraft-extractor-fans/

Just about to post this.
    Also, in the island, will you be putting s dishwasher or washing machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,446 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

At this stage of construction where no tiled floor in place etc, go with whichever you favour.
    If you want hob in the island, get a track cut out of floor and get power taken across the floor.
    Get someone in for a few hours upstairs and they will get your your extractor pipe out. Might end up being easy enough.
    I'm not a fan of recirculating extractors. They operate without pipe to exterior but don't do anywhere near as good of a job.
    Assuming you have a reasonably airtight house, ensure that the extractor is installed with a damper in line. This will mean the pipe is sealed off when power is off.

Advertisement