Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Link Road, Friday Evenings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

kcb wrote: »
    Jesus wept! There's always one!

I don't have stats! I just think it's dangerous.
    Weep for yourself. You made a statement that it was deadly dangerous without anything to back it up. Any chance you can give even one example of this (given you believe it's such a deadly menace on the road)?
    kcb wrote: »
    And with bad driving then a tractor causes danger.
    No. If there's bad driving, then it's the cause.

Tbf if you know the N40 at all, you know that getting opportunities to move to the overtaking lane are at a premium. Never mind when you're forced to slow to 50kph. That's when your suggestion to overtake becomes dangerous.
    I know it very well, been driving it for a long time.
    Being vigilant and keeping an eye on the road ahead helps a lot. Tractors tend to be quite large vehicles that you can spot from quite a distance. Moving out well in advance helps. Overtaking doesn't have to be dangerous.
    When people bomb it up behind a slow moving vehicle, then move out at a greatly reduced speed, causing others to brake, it can cause the backups we experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

You mean the vehicle that's legally right to be there? Until the rules change, they are not the ones at fault,

Speaking of legally, what colour diesel is in their tanks I wonder?
    Is this why they use tractors? Is this why they do not use truck?

So before you bring up the word legal I really would like to know the answer to that query

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

kub wrote: »

So before you bring up the word legal I really would like to know the answer to that query

Their diesel is green.

Agri vehicles using green, are not to be used on the public road, except for when they have to use the public road when travelling between properties (fields and farm yard)

If you have an issue, phone customs.
    They're the guys and gals that deal with it.

When I speak of legally, I'm on about their right to be on the road.
    I have no idea of what is in their tank.

Who is "they"? As suggested, talk to customs if you have a query on the colour of the diesel used.

Tractors are "deadly dangerous" and you're wondering about the colour of their diesel in 'their' tanks. You seem to have branched off into some conspiracy thoery.

• Advertisement

pa990 wrote: »
    Their diesel is green.

Agri vehicles using green, are not to be used on the public road, except for when they have to use the public road when travelling between properties (fields and farm yard)

If you have an issue, phone customs.
    They're the guys and gals that deal with it.

A tractor is an agricultural vehicle, as has been said previously, such a vehicle has to use public roads. We are talking here about the N40, one of the busiest dual carriageways in the country. Tractors use this road a lot.
    Therefore is has to be logical that they are indeed traveling between properties ( fields or farm yards) therefore i can safely assume that they do use green diesel.
    I can also conclude that it is therefore cheaper to use a tractor with green diesel rather than a truck, so the operator does not have to pay for the duty on the diesel in the tractor while the rest of us have to put up with the delays they cause on the N40.

So it is all about saving money and bugger the motorist, i mean we have some cheek to assume that we can travel on that road at sppeds of up to 100kph, the cheek of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

There's a house close to me being renovated, built up area, each time they get a skip it's dropped off by a guy in a tractor, as said previously it must be cheaper to have it done by tractor than you're traditional truck, don't know how this fits in with tractors on the road are supposed to be travelling between farms/fields.

When I speak of legally, I'm on about their right to be on the road.
    I have no idea of what is in their tank.

Who is "they"? As suggested, talk to customs if you have a query on the colour of the diesel used.

Tractors are "deadly dangerous" and you're wondering about the colour of their diesel in 'their' tanks. You seem to have branched off into some conspiracy thoery.

Check your facts there please or perhaps read the posters names a little slower, i never mentioned that tractors were " deadly dangerous", therefore your post is ridiculous as i have not branched off into any conspiracy theory.

But as we are on the subject of dangerous, how many deaths have there been on farms relating to tractors? So in that case i actually agree with KCB.....see the C, there is no C in KUB.

There's a house close to me being renovated, built up area, each time they get a skip it's dropped off by a guy in a tractor, as said previously it must be cheaper to have it done by tractor than you're traditional truck, don't know how this fits in with tractors on the road are supposed to be travelling between farms/fields.

There must be a huge grey area so in that case as you obviously do not live in a field or a farmyard.
    I wonder how often does this guy travel on the N40 delaying everyone?

Check your facts there please or perhaps read the posters names a little slower, i never mentioned that tractors were " deadly dangerous", therefore your post is ridiculous as i have not branched off into any conspiracy theory.
    Well, you actually are branching off on a conspiracy theory when you start asking what colour fuel is in their tank and where they are going.
    A kub and a kcb in the same thread agreeing with each other. Coincidence or conspiracy theory? :D
    But as we are on the subject of dangerous, how many deaths have there been on farms relating to tractors? So in that case i actually agree with KCB.....see the C, there is no C in KUB.
    You agree that tractors are deadly dangerous, as per kcb. The conspiracy grows! :P
    I have no idea how many deaths are related to tractors on farms. My guess is that the tractors are rarely at fault, and usually it's the human element. You'll have to go elsewhere for the stats.

Anyway, enough branching off the topic, thread done for me; drive safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Munster magic, what is road tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Munster magic, what is road tax?
    tbt.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

You'd think the Munster fan would be happy now that their bandwagon is back on track!

Well, you actually are branching off on a conspiracy theory when you start asking what colour fuel is in their tank and where they are going. A kub and a kcb in the same thread agreeing with each other. Coincidence or conspiracy theory?

It just helps to be able to read it suppose

You agree that tractors are deadly dangerous, as per kcb. The conspiracy grows! I have no idea how many deaths are related to tractors on farms. My guess is that the tractors are rarely at fault, and usually it's the human element. You'll have to go elsewhere for the stats.

Same with vehicles in general so, it seems to be the drivers usually. So how fair is it on other motorists when tractors crawl along the N40, one of the busiest roads in the country?

kcb wrote:
    You'd think the Munster fan would be happy now that their bandwagon is back on track!

We will have to disagree there kcb, I am a fan and have been for years even when they were on losing streaks

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Thanks again to all those who replied to my original question but this thread seems to be gone completely off topic now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

overmantle wrote: »
    Thanks again to all those who replied to my original question but this thread seems to be gone completely off topic now.

Standard procedure when the south link ring is mentioned :D

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Standard procedure when the south link ring is mentioned :D

No bother. I understand. The south link is becoming more of an issue. Hopefully the new flyover beyond the tunnel will alleviate some of the issues in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

overmantle wrote: »
    No bother. I understand. The south link is becoming more of an issue. Hopefully the new flyover beyond the tunnel will alleviate some of the issues in the coming years.

There are no flyovers or tunnels on the South Link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There are 2 flyovers actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

TheChizler wrote: »
    There are 2 flyovers actually...

He is being pedantic...the 2 flyovers are on the South Ring. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ludo wrote: »
    He is being pedantic...the 2 flyovers are on the South Ring. Sigh.

I know ;-). Pedantic and incorrect as there are the two Douglas road flyovers on the South Link!

I know ;-). Pedantic and incorrect as there are the two Douglas road flyovers on the South Link!

Was thinking that but in fairness they are bridges...not flyovers. Yuuuge difference :-)

There's a flyover at Bishopstown Roundabout, Sarsfield Road Rounabout, Kinsale Road Roundabout and there's the new one, planned beyond the tunnel, not to mention the flyover bridges at Curraheen, Togher etc. etc..

oh ffs :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Strictly logically speaking "There are no flyovers on South Link or there are no tunnels on South Link" evaluates to true...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ludo wrote: »
    oh ffs :-)

Ludo is breaking first folks :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Do people mix up the North Ring and North Link also!!

• Advertisement

There's a North Link?

Advertisement