Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Link Road, Friday Evenings

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

grogi wrote: »
    Strictly logically speaking "There are no flyovers on South Link or there are no tunnels on South Link" evaluates to true...
    Going by the definition of a flyover as a bridge over a man made obstacle such as a road, then the two Douglas Road bridges over the South City Link Road are in fact flyovers :D

Unless of course "no flyovers on South Link" can be interpreted as saying the road itself doesn't form part of a flyover at any point. Then I would agree.

Love pedantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

TheChizler wrote: »
    Going by the definition of a flyover as a bridge over a man made obstacle such as a road, then the two Douglas Road bridges over the South City Link Road are in fact flyovers :D

Agreed on the definition - but this does not change that the above statement is still true.

Agreed on the definition - but this does not change that the above statement is still true.
    If we replaced the word on with over would it satisfy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Ludo wrote: »
    There's a North Link?

What's the name of the road that goes out of town from Heineken to Blackpool?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

kcb wrote: »
    What's the name of the road that goes out of town from Heineken to Blackpool?

Leitrim St?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Perhaps some are not old enough to remember when the South Link was first opened as far as the Bishopstown Roundabout in 1996. At the time there was a shortage of money so three large (man made) roundabouts were put in place at Kinsale Road, Sarsfield Road and Bishopstown. In better times, three flyovers were built, over the 'man made obstacles'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If we replaced the word on with over would it satisfy?

If we replaced the word OR with AND... :]

overmantle wrote: »

Perhaps some are not old enough to remember when the South Link was first opened as far as the Bishopstown Roundabout in 1996. At the time there was a shortage of money so three large (man made) roundabouts were put in place at Kinsale Road, Sarsfield Road and Bishopstown. In better times, three flyovers were built, over the 'man made obstacles'.
    That would all be very relevant if the South Link went anywhere near the Bishopstown Roundabout :D

If we replaced the word OR with AND... :]
    Ah you beat me at what I do for a living, well played sir. Well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

The South Ring Road began in 1995 when J6 to J3 opened, although J6 to J7 was in place early nineties.

I suppose it's the early nineties period that causes confusion as people saw the J6 to J7 part as an extension to the South City Link Road rather than the beginning of a completely separate road ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

overmantle wrote: »

Please tell me you're taking the p1ss!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I know ;-). Pedantic and incorrect as there are the two Douglas road flyovers on the South Link!

I'll counter your pedantry by saying there are 3, but only by your logic. They are in fact not on the South Link as they form part of the South Douglas Road, Douglas Road and the Old Blackrock Road respectively. And realistically, only 1 meets the pedant criteria as only 1 forms part of a junction. But again, this is simply above the South Link and not on it.

But can we please refer to them as bridges as we run the risk of further complicating an already complicated, but also somehow very simple matter!?

Forgot about the Blackrock Road one. Beaten at my own game! I still reckon they're flyovers though.

As the Op of this thread, who asked a simple question, that has been answered, it's amusing to see how, (yes), pedantic, some people can be. I don't spend much time on sites like this but clearly, some people are spending far too much time and getting far too hot and bothered about relatively insignificant details. Thanks to those who answered my question. Perhaps it's now time to close this thread, as it's gone completely off topic.

Sure it's off topic but it's all light-hearted IMO. Original question was answered and it's just fun after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm entertained.

No one is being mean.

I'm entertained.

No one is being mean.

I don't believe anybody is being mean. It's just a bit pointless. I suppose, based on the number of posts some people have made (several thousand), perhaps this is one of their main forms of entertainment.:)

Advertisement