Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creepy landlord-legal advice needed.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Glebee wrote: »
    I remember years ago I was renting a house in Dublin with friends. One morning the front door bell rang and I was in bed with girlfriend, nothing going on mind just both had day off. No body else in the house so we let the door bell ring. Next minute we heard the front door opening and for some reason pretended to be asleep.... Next minute the bedroom door opened and we just lay there pretending to be asleep. The person who came in the door saw us and quietly reversed tracks and left the house. When I heard the front door closing I lept out and ran to a front window only to see the landlord slink away. I never mentioned it to him or he to me..:D

I would be completely freaked out by that. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

....... wrote: »
    Personally I am getting entirely sick of these new user minimal info threads that seem to be cropping up more and more on this website.

Its not a guessing game - and people discussing what kind of lock it "might" be cant possibly give any proper advice without more information.

Mod note

If you have an issue with a post please use the report post function. Posts like this have no place on this forum

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I moved into the house im in in October...at first all was grand but then my Landlord started letting himself in late at night and giving me a big sob story about his mad gf...this has happened a few times and i get the impression hes looking for more than the rent...ive given him a telling off to no avail...can i fit a sliding lock to the door without his permission? Went to the Gardai btw worse than useless. My flatmate works nights so of course my Landlord sees me as a sitting target.

Tell him he's not to turn up again, unless it's as part of the tenancy agreement. After that, tell him you'll contact the gardai about harassment, and then the prtb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Move.

Robineen wrote: »
    Even in the situation where a room has been retained, one would hope that a landlord would have the common courtesy to not show up late at night unannounced. I've lived in a couple of licensee situations and in both, the landlord would still give us a heads up and it would be at a reasonable hour. They would never just let themselves in unannounced.

And I don't think the posters you quoted were suggesting adding anything, just using what is already there.

If a room is retained there is no need to give a heads up. The person can enter when and as often as they want, they can sleep there, store stuff there etc. Not much good keeping a room if you can't enter it when you want to, which may be at 3am after a rake of pints and not feeling like getting a taxi home.

I doubt that is the case here anyway so not much point going into it too much unless the OP says this is the case.

<mod snip>

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »
    Gardai, RTB, pressing charges, FFS. How difficult can it be to lock a door from the inside so that it can't be opened from the outside.

I dont think its ridiculous to consider the Gardai, tbh. id be a nervous type, when home alone, so if I heard anyone coming though my door, be it landlord or otherwise, id get a fright.

What he is doing is illegal, so why shouldnt the gardai be involved. They would be called if it was anyone else trying to come through your door.

Either them, or a few or your male friends, could have a word with him...
    or as someone else mentioned, if he has a partner, maybe drop a flea in her ear about his visits.

Jake1 wrote: »
    I dont think its ridiculous to consider the Gardai, tbh. id be a nervous type, when home alone, so if I heard anyone coming though my door, be it landlord or otherwise, id get a fright.

What he is doing is illegal, so why shouldnt the gardai be involved. They would be called if it was anyone else trying to come through your door.

Either them, or a few or your male friends, could have a word with him...
    or as someone else mentioned, if he has a partner, maybe drop a flea in her ear about his visits.

The issue is that the Gardai can't really arrest someone for entering a property they own. Breaking tenancy law is a civil matter which the Gardai will stay out off.

The OP needs to go to the RTB. He/she should also tell the LL they are going to the RTB as this may frighten him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Gardai definitely need to be doing their job here and telling him to back off, happens so often but shouldn't be tolerated whether it's single females or vulnerable losing gamblers that are being preyed on...

The issue is that the Gardai can't really arrest someone for entering a property they own. Breaking tenancy law is a civil matter which the Gardai will stay out off.

The OP needs to go to the RTB. He/she should also tell the LL they are going to the RTB as this may frighten him off.

i know they wont arrest him, but maybe if they told him his behaviour was upsetting to the OP and also illegal its possible, he would listen to them. it would also be on record, that this creep sees no wrong in frightening people and entering their property unannounced.

I agree with going to the RTB also. Again, I think it would be a good thing to have it documented.

Bateman wrote: »
    The Gardai definitely need to be doing their job here and telling him to back off, happens so often but shouldn't be tolerated whether it's single females or vulnerable losing gamblers that are being preyed on...

Definitely should not be tolerated. Your home is supposed to be your sanctuary. You shouldn't have to worry about some creep turning up when ever he feels like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

If a room is retained there is no need to give a heads up. The person can enter when and as often as they want, they can sleep there, store stuff there etc. Not much good keeping a room if you can't enter it when you want to, which may be at 3am after a rake of pints and not feeling like getting a taxi home.

I doubt that is the case here anyway so not much point going into it too much unless the OP says this is the case.

I understand that but its very rare to see this on a house nowadays and obvioulsy there isn't one in this case or the OP would probably use it. I was just pointing out that adding it would be illegal if its not already there.

Then it surely has to be advertised as owner occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

When you are up, leave your key in the door. When you are going to bed, do the same with your room door. If he arrives and for some reason you forget to do either of the above, leave him there on his own, go to your room and again lock the door. That should make him come to his senses a bit. And if they don't then you know you will have to step up your actions.

I think your fear of upsetting the landlord or acting too forcefully in case it impacts on your lease etc, may be getting confused by him for something else. You need to display that you simply aren't interested in him or his story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I understand where everyone is coming from but calling the guards on a LL when you've only moved in in October could mean he'll terminate the lease.

Maybe he could be dealt with with a stern "DO NOT come in here again without 24 hours notice".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Then it surely has to be advertised as owner occupied.

Straying a bit off topic, but I'd think so too. If the landlord is planning to drop in whenever they like, it should be advertised as owner-occupied. If it isn't advertised as such, then my original point remains - it is common decency to inform occupants ahead of time of any visitation.

On topic, the OP should definitely contact the RTB about this for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OP, report any additional occurrences to the Gardaí; despite them not doing anything, it's a record you can use at a later date. Since the landlord has continued despite you having had a word with them, your next step is a formal complaint to the RTB about your landlord not upholding their obligations, namely the tenant's right to peaceful occupation.

Altering the door to include a bolt without the consent of the landlord would be a breach of the tenant's obligations from the Act. You can however use a removable device such as that already posted earlier as this would not be altering the property.

Despite all this, I'd suggest you move if you can. You're always going to wonder if he's outside at night even if the door is blocked and he can't get in.

Keep door locked when you're in. Same goes for housemate. If you need to get in after they're gone to bed, just ring them. This should be agreed between you as a safety measure.
    Also keep a diary of all unannounced visits.

OP, report any additional occurrences to the Gardaí; despite them not doing anything, it's a record you can use at a later date..

They most likely won't even take note of it when its not something they are going to act on. Just saying it as a word of caution in case someone things ringing to report it means it goes on record for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

They most likely won't even take note of it when its not something they are going to act on. Just saying it as a word of caution in case someone things ringing to report it means it goes on record for sure.

If it is a complaint of a landlord breaching their contract, they won't, but if it's a complaint of harassment from the landlord that's another matter. At this point of time, each subsequent occurrence is harassment in my opinion and I would have no qualms with telling the Gardaí as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Can you lock your bed room door? If you don't have a key pop out the lock and take it to a good HW store they should be able to match it. If the LL has rented the house / flat without keeping a room for himself he has no right to be there, each time he does it ask him to leave. If he won't could call the guards. Is he drunk when he shows up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Can you lock your bed room door?

This is the best idea. Use one of those door jams on the bedroom door.
    Might be an idea to have a recording camera inside as well just as back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

emeldc wrote: »
    Gardai, RTB, pressing charges, FFS. How difficult can it be to lock a door from the inside so that it can't be opened from the outside.
    The housemate will need to come in at odd hours. So whatever steps the OP takes, they must keep in mind that the housemate has to be able to enter the house as well. It is law that the LL must have a key to their house, so even if you do lock the door, the landlord has a key.

=-=

OP; ask the housemate did the LL pop in at silly hours? It may something that they have encountered before.
    giving me a big sob story about his mad gf
    Go bunny-boiler mad at him the next time he lets himself in. Tell him to get the f**k out of the f**king house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 healthworker13

Well the situation finally has sorted itself out. I actually think the Gardai have finally copped on and gave my LL a little talking to..a chain was fitted whether he likes it or not and im happy out he cant enter the house without my permission. Hes looking for someone to console him over his GF but he picked the wrong girl here!! Thanks guys and gals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Wow, that was quick :rolleyes:

Well the situation finally has sorted itself out. I actually think the Gardai have finally copped on and gave my LL a little talking to..a chain was fitted whether he likes it or not and im happy out he cant enter the house without my permission. Hes looking for someone to console him over his GF but he picked the wrong girl here!! Thanks guys and gals.

I am delighted you got it sorted to your satisfaction.
    Nothing worse than being uncomfortable in your own home

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well done! Great!

Advertisement