Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belmount estate

Options
  • 19-01-2017 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

My brother is looking at buying his first house in belmount estate renmore . Anybody live in this estate that is willing to share their views ? I always associated it as a student village but auctioneer reckons it's a mixture of workers and student .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Ah Belmont! Brings back memories, lived in number 47 back in the 90's during my College days and a few years after as a worker. Was dead handy as all we had to do was hop over our back wall and we were in the College grounds.

The estate even back then had a huge population of students. Most of the houses from the entrance up were student houses and a fair few further back in were the same. A few were rented by workers too and then the rest were owner families. But the families were slowly moving out back then, thats how we got our house. I'd imagine that trend continued over the years as who wants students as your neighbours. They don't really care about the upkeep of the property or noise levels etc.

I wouldn't personally buy a house in there unless it was specifically for renting it out. Its a lovely estate but it has and always will have a large population of students given its location to the College.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ruthie23

Thanks a mil for the reply he is looking at number 55 . It appears the row at the front are all been revamped a little and been sold off . The auctioneer appears to be selling one at a time . They may be owned by neighbouring hotel. He is living overseas and hoping to let it out by would prefer a family of workers as they might stay longer than the year and it will be less of a headache while abroad . They appear to be quite large . Were they a warm house

Thanks a mil for the reply he is looking at number 55 . It appears the row at the front are all been revamped a little and been sold off . The auctioneer appears to be selling one at a time . They may be owned by neighbouring hotel. He is living overseas and hoping to let it out by would prefer a family or workers as opposed to students as they might stay longer than the year and it will be less of a headache while abroad . They appear to be quite large . Were they a warm house? Ppl have told him not to buy a house he wouldn't live on himself but I reckon location is fantastic can't see why ppl wouldn't live there - other that students partying

Other than students partying is a big caveat.
    Have a drive up this evening to see how lively or not it is.

The occasional party might be grand but if there are enough student houses it could be intolerable.

Has the estate been taken in charge by the council?

Ya will def drive up tonight for a look. I'm not sure if it has I will phone council and try find out. I'd assume a house that old would be but you should be we know

• Advertisement

Ya will def drive up tonight for a look. I'm not sure if it has I will phone council and try find out. I'd assume a house that old would be but you should be we know

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'd say drive up for a look!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭spurshero

lived there for bout 7 years . very little hassle when i was there. central enough and reansobly quiet.i liked it and couldnt find any negatives although i had family s living either side of me

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Look up rentals in Renmore. There's very little available and the rental costs are crazy. Your brother will have no problem getting good tenants. If in doubt then call a few letting agents regarding the estate, get feedback as to was rent and type tenants you're likely to attract.

I'm in the general area, don't be put off by someone's view based on their college days particularly from the '90's. All the apparent 'students' estates in Renmore are getting workers to rent house over the last couple of years in my opinion. Drive by the surrounding estates too, no harm to get a view of the area as a whole. Remember that Mill St garda station will be moving to Renmore shortly (new building across from GMIT), so that will only help in regards to any anti-social behaviour and house prices.

Generally all estates over 15 years old are under the management of the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 twetty bird

Belmont is actually in Mervue not Renmore. North of the Old Dublin Road is Mervue, south of it is Mervue. Not that it matters but your brother should know the correct address if he'd thinking of buying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement