Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over zealous, and inconsistent modding on the politics cafe forum.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Zaph wrote: »
    You highlighted only the part of my sentence that I suspect you wanted to hear. Just to be clear, I said that we recommend that mods refrain from moderating threads they're participating in, but they are not expressly forbidden to do so. As I said in my last post, there are instances where it is appropriate for them to take mod action.

I heard the full message Zaph, all understood.

Appreciate the response

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If I had the time, I'd like to go through the threads on the US election for the last 18 months or so. I'd divide everyone up into Pro-Trump and Anti-Trump camps and I would be very surprised if I found out that less than 90% of the reported posts came from the anti-Trump camp. I barely ever see any anti-Trump supporter posts reported so I don't think it's entirely fair for people to say we're not doing anything about it when the topic is so busy that we can't read every single post. Look at the Politics fora at the moment and you'll see multiple threads about the new President. Those are exactly the sorts of threads where objectionable posts which don't get reported will end up flying under the radar.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Permabear,

I went looking for that thread/post earlier and I'm fairly certain it was actually in Politics rather than the Politics cafe? I can't find similar wording in the Trump thread in the cafe tbh that matches what you've referenced.

I think it's this one here?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102449468

Reporting such posts is the only way to get them actioned, or pming a mod/s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ok glad we cleared up that it wasn't in the cafe.

Report posts, it's there for a reason.
    Reported posts tend not to be ignored, it might take a while to see them being actioned, but on huge threads like the likes of the Trump threads, oftentimes it's the only way for mods to be aware of posts that need action.

I've no doubt there probably are examples. However if they are not reported it's extremely easy to miss them.

What do you propose would be a solution here? If posters don't report posts, then it's unrealistic to expect that mods will read every thread every day looking to pick up forum breaches tbh, particularly where you have multiple very large, and very fast moving threads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair he is demonstrably an "absolute fcuking tool" and links that illustrate his toolism won't be hard to come by. So long as links are given I suppose. Just like links backing up the well dodgy demographics and intentions of quite the number of "refugees". I'd like to see both on show myself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Actually no we don't for all of the threads.

We've the Irish Water thread, usually at least one or two SF/Loyalist related threads, now the Trump threads, the ongoing immigration threads, and whatever is the cause celebre of the day.

We rely extremely heavily on reported posts to action threads tbh.

It would be a rare day that I would have time to check posts on even a couple of those threads, let alone them all, and deal with reported posts as well.

We genuinely don't have enough mods, there are plenty of days where I am completely offline from the minute I get up until maybe 7pm due to work circumstances tbh.

We'd appreciate you reporting more posts, and if you believe they are not being actioned highlight that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Laughable, dangerous right wing opinion = near instantly actioned. Safe left wing opinion = we just don't see it, it must be reported.

It's BS, I could go to the cafe, make a post about Clinton or immigrants etc that definitely crosses the line and get an email within minutes explaining why I have been carded. You literally have a mod a few posts up explaining how all trump supporters are kkk so it's no wonder they get sanctions.

Boards is to discussion boards as the guardian is to news print, at least just have the balls to admit it like Dav did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

gallag wrote: »
    Laughable, dangerous right wing opinion = near instantly actioned. Safe left wing opinion = we just don't see it, it must be reported.

yeah, this.

It's way too easy for moderators to throw out the line "we can't read everything" when being criticised, it's a sacred cow around here that you are not really allowed to say anything remotely bad about how mods carry out their "duties" without hearing the tired old clichés like "all mods are volunteers" and "sometimes things fall through the cracks". Yeah we know. Nobody is questioning that. We're just looking for a bit of fairness.

It's funny how certain things are seen and certain things are missed.

As for that disgusting post above tarring 63m Americans as Klanners and Neo-Nazi's going without mention from Admins/CMods, it's exactly the type of bias and atmosphere you get on Boards.ie. "Generally accurate", would you ever piss off.

You can be guaranteed that if someone came with a similar diatribe against one of the Boards.ie protected class there certainly would have been some kind of BOLD note from someone, at the very least.

To get back on topic of the PC(!), I strongly disagree with the point that mods with entrenched views should somehow be muted, it's like the Soccer Forum and United fans whinging that Pool fans are mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

yeah, this.

It's way too easy for moderators to throw out the line "we can't read everything" when being criticised, it's a sacred cow around here that you are not really allowed to say anything remotely bad about how mods carry out their "duties" without hearing the tired old clichés like "all mods are volunteers" and "sometimes things fall through the cracks". Yeah we know. Nobody is questioning that. We're just looking for a bit of fairness.

It's funny how certain things are seen and certain things are missed.

As for that disgusting post above tarring 63m Americans as Klanners and Neo-Nazi's going without mention from Admins/CMods, it's exactly the type of bias and atmosphere you get on Boards.ie. "Generally accurate", would you ever piss off.

You can be guaranteed that if someone came with a similar diatribe against one of the Boards.ie protected class there certainly would have been some kind of BOLD note from someone, at the very least.

To get back on topic of the PC(!), I strongly disagree with the point that mods with entrenched views should somehow be muted, it's like the Soccer Forum and United fans whinging that Pool fans are mods.

I thought that post you refer to was actually somebody proving permabears point by posting "typical attitudes" ironically.

I had to read it again. Not a trace of irony. "Hillary/democrats/liberals are sugar and spice and all things nice. The opposing deplorables are slugs and snails and puppy dog tails. So that's why certain things can be said about one side without any backup."

People are genuinely so so biased deep down, and so incapable of critical thinking that they genuinely don't see it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gallag wrote: »
    There is another obvious explanation G, or certainly part of one. "Safe left wing opinion" posters are more likely to report such posts? How many who don't hold such views actually report such actionable posts? Having modded fast moving forums in the past - and I was more hands on than many with it - it's pretty much impossible to keep track of fast moving threads without reported posts. Now relying on them to mod is a bad plan IMHO, but you'd be screwed without them.
    You literally have a mod a few posts up explaining how all trump supporters are kkk so it's no wonder they get sanctions.
    Would you report that kinda post in the cafe? Genuine question G(and it goes for others who would take umbrage at such a post). If not, then the chances of actioning will drop and more, the mods won't get an overall feel for the direction of the community. As far as reported posts go, IME it can be a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease. I've also noted down the years that some mods near automatically action reported posts if they go beyond one report and if reported by regular posters they "know".
    Boards is to discussion boards as the guardian is to news print,
    That's far more a perception and too much of an easy foregone conclusion to come to IMHO. Take Dav's post you reference. It got some thanks on the day, but has been also roundly quoted and questioned, even condemned since. I personally thought it meant in earnest, but daftly naive. I can't recall any censure on that score either.

It's long been my view that both the "right" and the "right on" on Boards who see "bias" in almost equal measure, shows that the bias where present is hovering around the centre with twitches to either side, just like wider Irish society.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

People are genuinely so so biased deep down, and so incapable of critical thinking that they genuinely don't see it.
    It never ceases to fascinate me to read almost the same opinion near word for word from some on both sides of the perceived "bias". Neither seem to get the irony.

Wibbs wrote: »
    It never ceases to fascinate me to read almost the same opinion near word for word from some on both sides of the perceived "bias". Neither seem to get the irony.

I worded it as much as I could in a way that could be applied to either side. It's not my fault that Permabears post was proved pretty quickly by someone with their steering wheel way off centre ;)

That's what it is though. And that's what led to the upset in America IMHO.
    Some people are so far over to one side that they lose track of where the center is. It looks as though the centre in the US was to the right of where a lot of people thought it was.
    Note - for the hard of thinking - I'm talking relative positions here not absolute.

• Advertisement

Harking back to the Soccer Forum for inspiration.

There is a blanket ban on "name calling" of anyone, players, managers, journalists, fans, even in the face of leg-breaking tackles, you can't jump in with "effing scumbag" - that's an automatic card leading to a ban.

I did. Well I suggested he had a tendency to be a thundering gobshíte and wondered how did the hard left of Irish politics get so toned down enough to be populist. I've also clearly stated that I think modern feminism is a crock, stuffed with half truths and some outright lies. That I consider abortion to not only be a "women's issue". That I have doubts about how transexuality is handled, particularly among minors. That I have major doubts about open borders(both the "left" and "capitalists don't like that) and that the EU handling of the "refugees" is daft at the core on so many levels. In short I'd be the polar opposite of much of the so called "left bias" on Boards.ie. Still here. I'd not be the only one either.

Bias does not mean everyone is the same, but it is very obvious that from the top down, Boards.ie leans to the left.

Can anyone seriously dispute that?

This post had been deleted.[/QUOTE]
    Yep. If anything more likely to be. I've gotten more warnings and those infraction things because I am. Maybe I get some leeway, so others can point and say, well he's not a "liberal", but I doubt it.

He's a big guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭blackwhite

There is another obvious explanation G, or certainly part of one. "Safe left wing opinion" posters are more likely to report such posts? How many who don't hold such views actually report such actionable posts? Having modded fast moving forums in the past - and I was more hands on than many with it - it's pretty much impossible to keep track of fast moving threads without reported posts. Now relying on them to mod is a bad plan IMHO, but you'd be screwed without them.

Would you report that kinda post in the cafe? Genuine question G(and it goes for others who would take umbrage at such a post). If not, then the chances of actioning will drop and more, the mods won't get an overall feel for the direction of the community. As far as reported posts go, IME it can be a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease. I've also noted down the years that some mods near automatically action reported posts if they go beyond one report and if reported by regular posters they "know".

That's far more a perception and too much of an easy foregone conclusion to come to IMHO. Take Dav's post you reference. It got some thanks on the day, but has been also roundly quoted and questioned, even condemned since. I personally thought it meant in earnest, but daftly naive. I can't recall any censure on that score either.

It's long been my view that both the "right" and the "right on" on Boards who see "bias" in almost equal measure, shows that the bias where present is hovering around the centre with twitches to either side, just like wider Irish society.

To be perfectly honest Wibbs, I used to report posts like that in the Cafe - but over time I've built up the distinct impression that mod action is highly unlikely for certain posters and almost instant for others. What's the point when there's a fair few posters who are constantly allowed carte blanche with the rules?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Take Dav's post you reference. It got some thanks on the day, but has been also roundly quoted and questioned, even condemned since. I personally thought it meant in earnest, but daftly naive. I can't recall any censure on that score either.

I
    Yes, take Davs post, only now dav is away will people "condemn" it, it's not the first time Davs post has been brought up, I did myself and all mods/admits etc then thought it reasonable, it's a joke.

• Advertisement

There's no reason why he wouldn't be.

I hold broadly similar views to what Wibbs has posted there and I'm still here and not been a mod for over 4 years (my previous account was, I think, a 2002 join date, could be wrong).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement