Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way to complain about light pollution?

• 19-01-2017 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

I would assume dcc would the people to deal with light pollution but I can't see anything online about it.

Live north inner city and across the road there is one if those traffic infomation signs, info about car parks etc. With the mornings being dark, from about 6am our bedroom starts flashing. It's the message the sign displays. No problem at night because it only displays mesagesthat don't flash. They vary in colour but stay solid.

I know the easiest solution would be heavier curtains but i find it incredibly difficult to wake up in a room with a black out blind. It's better to wake up to natural light. However, husband works shifts so is a bigger problem for him.

Solving the problem would be as easy as not having the message in the morning flash. Am I wasting mu time in even trying to complain about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What times do you want to restrict it?

I don't think there is much you can do tbh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Get good blackout blinds. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Stheno wrote: »
    What times do you want to restrict it?

I don't think there is much you can do tbh?

Well not so much restrict the time because it doesn't cause an issue at any other time, they just seem to put a flashing message on it in the morning from about 6. I'm not sure when it stops because I'm at work but it certainly isn't all day or in the evenings. So i guess i'd just like it to stop flashing.

Yeah i figured there might be nothing i could do when i searched about light pollution and couldn't find anything. Seems to be a thing in the uk but not here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Get good blackout blinds. Problem solved.

As i mentioned in my first comment, it's very difficult for me to wake up in a room with a blackout blind.

I know living in the city centre you have to expect noise and lights and that doesn't bother me. I mean we have street lights right outside the window. It's just that this sign flashes which is incredibly annoying and goes beyond what i think is acceptable light pollution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,965 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I would assume dcc would the people to deal with light pollution but I can't see anything online about it.

Live north inner city and across the road there is one if those traffic infomation signs, info about car parks etc. With the mornings being dark, from about 6am our bedroom starts flashing. It's the message the sign displays. No problem at night because it only displays mesagesthat don't flash. They vary in colour but stay solid.

I know the easiest solution would be heavier curtains but i find it incredibly difficult to wake up in a room with a black out blind. It's better to wake up to natural light. However, husband works shifts so is a bigger problem for him.

Solving the problem would be as easy as not having the message in the morning flash. Am I wasting mu time in even trying to complain about it?
    write to the traffic department about it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As i mentioned in my first comment, it's very difficult for me to wake up in a room with a blackout blind.

I know living in the city centre you have to expect noise and lights and that doesn't bother me. I mean we have street lights right outside the window. It's just that this sign flashes which is incredibly annoying and goes beyond what i think is acceptable light pollution.

There are alarm clocks you can get that wake you up gently with noise and light which might help

I feel your pain I used work night shift and lived on a developing estate so had to try to sleep through building works during the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Black out curtains and a daylight alarm.

Youll get nowhere with DCC. Truth be told.

listermint wrote: »
    Black out curtains and a daylight alarm.

Youll get nowhere with DCC. Truth be told.

Daylight alarm, that's what I was thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to traffic control.

https://twitter.com/DCCTraffic
    FreePhone: 1800 29 39 49
    traffic@dublincity.ie

Advertisement