Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops / Restaurants / businesses in Dublin that survive the test of time

Options
  • 19-01-2017 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Following on from the thread on long-missed shops, restaurants and businesses, which ones have survived and will continue to survive the test of time, whether or not we love or hate them ?

On a review of my Dublin life that started in 1998.....

Anns bakery
    Savoy
    Beshoffs fish and chips
    Reads photocopy centre
    Waltons music
    Easons flagship store
    Dr. Quirkeys
    Zaytoon Persian restaurant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Having been in Anns Bakery on both Mary St and North Earl St on Saturdays in the past few weeks - it's going no where. Mary St was rammed to the rafters while North Earl St was steadily busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Ricks Burger
    Decwells hardware
    Fogarty's Locksmiths
    Eddie Rockets Dame St
    Nico's Italian Restaurant
    Woolshed

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Woolshed

If we're listing pubs we could be here for a while!

Shops like the Pen Corner that are staffed by people who know their stuff and serve a small market always seem to do well.

Catach (sp?) books off Grafton St. has been there for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The Irish Yeast Company.

Though that's not allowing for shop cat mortality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Captain Americas, Grafton St. (Pre -dates the 90's by a good bit.)

Had my first "proper" burger there, donkeys years ago. And by proper, I mean something that hadn't been recently cremated by my mother, that was served on an actual bun & came with such exotic items as lettuce, cheese, bacon, tomato ketchup, mustard & garlic mayo.

The mother generally served up a circular piece of shoe leather on its Sweeney Todd, with boiled spuds and peas. You were told to sit back down and stop being 'difficult', if you queried the absence of any of the above mentioned exotica. Captain Americas seemed incredibly glamourous, in comparison, at the time. (Late 70's/early 80's)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Captain Americas, Grafton St.
    My abiding memory, circa 1996, is of a friend who had never seen sugar in one of those big tabletop shakers pouring it onto her chips fries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

The Long Hall is 250 this year. The Trocadero has been there since the 50s too, great restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gabria

If we're doing pubs we can do clubs too:

Lillies :cool: and Coppers :D:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The comics shops in town have all lasted. Forbidden Planet must be around 25 years first Dawson St and now on the Quays. And Sub City must be there 20. Oh God, I'm so old.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Marks Models on Hawkins St.
    It's expanded now as far as I know.
    I used to get my bus home nearby, so if I'd miss it I'd wander in and have a look at all the model cars / trains etc... to treat the kid in me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pubs last much longer than almost any other business so I'd say they're not really suitable content for the thread. Its also why a more traditional pub closing is more of a "loss" of sorts and would end up on the opposite thread.

Restaurants average 8-10 years so anything much older than that is a stand-out; but the big franchise chains are always the exception there.

L1011 wrote: »
    Restaurants average 8-10 years so anything much older than that is a stand-out
    Blimey. I watched Luigi Malone's being built when I lived in the building across the street. I still think of it as a new place even though that was over 20 years ago now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Barnardos - the fur shop.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Christy's walk-around shop at the top of Mary Street.  Must be there nearly 40 years at this stage?  In the days of Dealz having a good few branches open in the City, good to see its surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Im mid 30s and a dub and the kylemore cafe on the corner of o connell st and North earl st has been there as long as i can remember. Nearby you also have the happy ring house.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »
    Blimey. I watched Luigi Malone's being built when I lived in the building across the street. I still think of it as a new place even though that was over 20 years ago now.

It could easily be one of maybe the 20-25 longest lasting table service restaurants in the city. List gets a bit longer with multiple chippers that have been there since the 30s and 1970s McDonalds/Burger King outlets!

comeheretome's attempts to figure out a list had 15 decent guesses the newest of which was from 1989. 4 have since closed.
    https://comeheretome.com/2010/01/09/dublin-citys-oldest-restaurant/

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

The Pen Corner - College Green
    Eager Beaver - Templebar
    Simon's Cafe - George's St Arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Tracys pharmacy on Eden quay has been there for years as well
    There's quite a few 3rd and 4th generation pharmacies around the city though

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Ciaran_B wrote: »

Woolshed

If we're listing pubs we could be here for a while!

Shops like the Pen Corner that are staffed by people who know their stuff and serve a small market always seem to do well.

Catach (sp?) books off Grafton St. has been there for ever.
    I brought my son aged 10 at the time to the pen corner for a five euro fountain pen. The man in there treated him like he was buying a 500 euro pen calling him sir and letting him try it out by signing his name on the little pad and asking him was that to his liking. My son felt like a king that day. That's why the pen corner is still there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I brought my son aged 10 at the time to the pen corner for a five euro fountain pen. The man in there treated him like he was buying a 500 euro pen calling him sir and letting him try it out by signing his name on the little pad and asking him was that to his liking. My son felt like a king that day. That's why the pen corner is still there...

I always assumed they just sold 500 Euro pens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Gerrys cafe on Montague St. Great little cafe that's there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

No, he was going mad for a fountain pen and we were in reasons and they had none, another customer told me to go there and get the €5 ones...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

God no theyve a great range from a tenner up

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Stheno wrote: »
    God no theyve a great range from a tenner up

Fantastic shop. Got my kids their first proper ink pens there.

Tracys pharmacy on Eden quay has been there for years as well
    There's quite a few 3rd and 4th generation pharmacies around the city though
    "Chemists rarely move" -- Ulysses, 1922.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Sheridans Cheesemongers (founded 1995)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Flanagan's O'connell Street. Used to take the mother there on Mother's Day and she loved it. Think that's there since I was a kid in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

gabria wrote: »
    Following on from the thread on long-missed shops, restaurants and businesses, which ones have survived and will continue to survive the test of time, whether or not we love or hate them ?

On a review of my Dublin life that started in 1998.....

Anns bakery
    Savoy
    Beshoffs fish and chips
    Reads photocopy centre
    Waltons music
    Easons flagship store
    Dr. Quirkeys
    Zaytoon Persian restaurant

Christ, now I feel REALLY old - I still think of Zaytoon as a "new" thing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Academic wrote: »
    Sheridans Cheesemongers (founded 1995)

And Sheridan's, for that matter :D

The Pen Corner is hands down one of my favourite shops in the whole of Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Maurice Abrahams tailors/suits, South Anne Street.

Regent Barbers, Fownes Street.

Eager Beaver, Crown Alley Street (although I don't think it's a second hand shop these days).

Kavanaghs newsagent on Aungier Street.

Advertisement