Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops / Restaurants / businesses in Dublin that survive the test of time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Peterson tobacco/pipe/cigar shop on Grafton Street/College Green.
    Burdocks on Werburgh Street
    Ben in Reptile Haven on Fishamble Street must be there nearly 15/20 years at this stage too

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Peterson tobacco/pipe/cigar shop on Grafton Street/College Green.
    Burdocks on Werburgh Street
    Ben in Reptile Haven on Fishamble Street must be there nearly 15/20 years at this stage too
    They've moved in the last few years. Now on Nassau St.

I wonder if, like Kitchen Complements, the move will be their undoing eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

Rory's fishing tackle shop in the middle of Temple Bar. I used to spent hours there when I was a kid in the late 1980's.

Lots of the musical instrument shops I spent time in around the same time are still there - Goodwins on Capel Street, Music Maker off Grafton Street, Waltons.

If you move out of the city ctr to Meath Street / Thomas Street area there are a few businesses / shops that I remember from my early childhood. My younger sisters and my oldest daughter all got their communion dresses from The Little Folk shop, over 30 years apart.

Speaking of music shops, I don't actually remember it from my earlier days, but Charlie Byrne's Musik Instrumente shop on Stephen St certainly looks like it's been there for generations.

And sticking with the musical theme - the Royal Irish Academy of Music on Westland Row is an institution that evokes all sorts of memories from my childhood. I recently was in it again after years and year, and couldn't get over how small it actually was!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

alastair wrote: »
    The Irish Yeast Company.

Though that's not allowing for shop cat mortality.

Is that still going? Last few times my Mom went in she said it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Is that still going? Last few times my Mom went in she said it wasn't.

He only opens limited hours - alternate mornings and afternoons. Understandable when you're in your 90's.

Saturday Closed
    Sunday Closed
    Monday 2–5p.m.
    Tuesday 10:30a.m.–1:30p.m.
    Wednesday 2–5p.m.
    Thursday 10:30a.m.–1:30p.m.
    Friday 2–5p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

BeerNut wrote: »
    "Chemists rarely move" -- Ulysses, 1922.

Except swenys which is no longer a chemist

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

alastair wrote: »
    He only opens limited hours - alternate mornings and afternoons. Understandable when you're in your 90's.

Saturday Closed
    Sunday Closed
    Monday 2–5p.m.
    Tuesday 10:30a.m.–1:30p.m.
    Wednesday 2–5p.m.
    Thursday 10:30a.m.–1:30p.m.
    Friday 2–5p.m.

Pretty sure she's aware of that but I'll bring it up again just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And Sheridan's, for that matter :D

The Pen Corner is hands down one of my favourite shops in the whole of Dublin!

Actually, if you visit their website (don't do this if you don't have quick and easy access to food) you'll see that they themselves don't use the apostrophe. It's an Irish thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

gabria wrote: »
    Following on from the thread on long-missed shops, restaurants and businesses, which ones have survived and will continue to survive the test of time, whether or not we love or hate them ?

On a review of my Dublin life that started in 1998.....

Anns bakery
    Savoy
    Beshoffs fish and chips
    Reads photocopy centre
    Waltons music
    Easons flagship store
    Dr. Quirkeys
    Zaytoon Persian restaurant

Can't understand how Waltons is still going.

McCullough Pigott and Leo Burdock's.

• Advertisement

Elemonator wrote: »
    Can't understand how Waltons is still going.

McCullough Pigott and Leo Burdock's.

McP are long gone, are they not? :confused: Weren't they were Avoca is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

And Makulla's in the intervening years.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gabria

Christ, now I feel REALLY old - I still think of Zaytoon as a "new" thing :eek:

The first phase of my Dublin life was my college years 1998-2002, during which it opened, and I thought that period was retro enough for me to merit its inclusion.

Consider this thread RIP in case any of our mentioned businesses unthinkably become no more.

Moving on.....

Woodstock Café, Phibsborough

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Waldorf Barbers - nearly 90 years old and my barber of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

website claims they're on South William Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Celtic shop in the Jervis. How its still opened amazes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Speaking of music shops, I don't actually remember it from my earlier days, but Charlie Byrne's Musik Instrumente shop on Stephen St certainly looks like it's been there for generations.

Is that still open? I have one of his guitars I got for Xmas nearly 30 years ago, and I think the shop had been there for some time even then, but I thought he'd retired since.

L1011 wrote: »
    website claims they're on South William Street.

they had a huge store where Avoca is now ("4 floors of music") - they then downsized and the old shop became Makulla's clothes shop before Avoca took the space. I don't know whether the small MCP shop is still open though.

Waltons had a big shop on Parnell Square, I've only just found out it's gone. Musical instruments are something you would imagine people would want to hold and try before buying, but Thomann seem to be doing alright selling them online.

In fairness to Waltons I was looking at guitars recently and they were matching Thomann's price on every one I looked at.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

loyatemu wrote: »
    Is that still open? I have one of his guitars I got for Xmas nearly 30 years ago, and I think the shop had been there for some time even then, but I thought he'd retired since.
    It is still open, at least it was the last time I looked when passing a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately the Mad Hatter shop next to it is gone and quickly turned into a Vape Shop :(

There is a large Waltons out in Blanchardstown so perhaps they have just relocated.

they had a huge store where Avoca is now ("4 floors of music") - they then downsized and the old shop became Makulla's clothes shop before Avoca took the space. I don't know whether the small MCP shop is still open though.

Waltons had a big shop on Parnell Square, I've only just found out it's gone. Musical instruments are something you would imagine people would want to hold and try before buying, but Thomann seem to be doing alright selling them online.

In fairness to Waltons I was looking at guitars recently and they were matching Thomann's price on every one I looked at.
    Did Waltons not start out on Sth Great Georges St? That's certainly where I most associate them with.

I think McCP moved across the road for a while to a small shop beside the church/tourist office, but if I'm correct the PortWest shop (if that's even still going?) is where they used to be.

• Advertisement

Did Waltons not start out on Sth Great Georges St? That's certainly where I most associate them with.

Not sure which shop came first, but they had a shop on Parnell Square as well as the one on Sth Gt Georges St (which is still open). The Parnell shop appears to be a restaurant now, according to their website the Waltons shop closed in 2013: http://www.oldmusicshop.ie/our-story2

Not sure which shop came first, but they had a shop on Parnell Square as well as the one on Sth Gt Georges St (which is still open). The Parnell shop appears to be a restaurant now, according to their website the Waltons shop closed in 2013: http://www.oldmusicshop.ie/our-story2
    Well, well, well. I would have sworn that Walton's on George's St had closed, and Yammamori was where Walton's used to be, not beside it! Also never knew that the shop in Parnell Square had been there the whole time, I thought they'd moved there when George's St "closed down".

:eek:

I really must pay more attention when out and about in future!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Walton's was actually on North Frederick Street, rather than Parnell Square, and it was there for many years before the one on George's Street opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Celtic shop in the Jervis. How its still opened amazes me.

Doesn't really amaze me with the number of Celtic loving folk in our fair land.
    Must be lots and lots of Scottish immigrants here, although I've heard little to no Scottish accents about...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is, or was, vastly more Man U fans and that shop died a death

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

MCP have a small shop on Sth. William St selling mostly sheet music. Walton's relocated from North Frederick St to George's St. years ago. They've a music school above the instrument shop. My shop is opposite and when traffic is quiet I can hear the students practising- very relaxing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Keogh's Cafe beside the Pen Corner must be there about 25 years. Nice honest spot too.

humberklog wrote: »
    Walton's relocated from North Frederick St to George's St. years ago.

they were in both locations for years, they only closed the northside shop in 2013 (see above). Not sure when they opened in Blanch.

humberklog wrote: »
    Keogh's Cafe beside the Pen Corner must be there about 25 years. Nice honest spot too.
    Oh God, I think I remember that opening as well :o

*unsubscribes from thread*

Best muffins in town though, by quite some distance :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Zaph wrote: »
    Walton's was actually on North Frederick Street, rather than Parnell Square, and it was there for many years before the one on George's Street opened.

That's the Waltons I always think of: heading in as a teenager on a Saturday to annoy them :)

Advertisement