Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

Zillah wrote: »
    What intrigues me from a purely physics point of view is that the bar bends so much here that it's got to make the motion much easier than if there was a bar that didn't bend.

Like, hypothetically, if you replaced the thin steel bar/weights with just a thick bar of, like, (super heavy) depleted uranium, for the exact same weight, this would be a much harder lift, right?

my best deadlift (which is in a permanent state of going no where) is exactly the same on an Eliko Comp power bar as it is on a Sakari (sic) deadlift bar. From talking to some of the bigger lifters the 'whip' only really starts to make big differences from about 300kg upwards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

silverharp wrote: »
    For sure obviously different if someone is making a career out of something, im just curious if data can be gleaned from them in terms of limits where risks to long term injury increases. I'd assume it's a complicated question, age being one factor and frequency being another.
    I saw a comment by someone recently where they said they only dead lifted up to x2 their body weight but went higher doing hex bar.

A trap bar deadlift isn’t a real deadlift. It’s a very different movement

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

whippet wrote: »
    From talking to some of the bigger lifters the 'whip' only really starts to make big differences from about 300kg upwards.

And that makes sense, logically. Heavy enough that you can benefit from enough whip before the plates break the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Using with bumpers makes deadlifting easier in a similar fashion to deadlift bars. Combine the two to compound the whip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Rather than start a new thread - I'm attempting to return to going to the gym frequently & doing weights. I'm having real trouble with stamina & strength starting out. Even 3 sets of 8 dumbbell presses are only possible with 17.5kg when I used to do double that weight handily enough. Same with Squats, dropped from 105kg to 50.

I used to be c. 16 stone with a decent amount of muscle (not shredded, but solid) In the mean time I've started cycling to work & lost nearly 2 stone just by not keeping up the gym routine & the protein shakes.

Is there an ideal set/rep split to get started out? Seriously hard to get motivated when there's such a drop off in strength!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

My advice (and what I've been doing recently) is start your compounds with 5 x 5 with linear progression until you plateau, then reduce reps to increase weight. Helps build a base back up before choosing another programme to get into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone know what the issue is with Flyefit in Cork being closed? Seems to be closed for a couple of week snow and the website just states "reopening soon" no date etc.

Am going to be down that way soon and was thinking roaming would come in handy but typically looks like they might be closed for some reason.

Anyone know what the issue is with Flyefit in Cork being closed? Seems to be closed for a couple of week snow and the website just states "reopening soon" no date etc.

Am going to be down that way soon and was thinking roaming would come in handy but typically looks like they might be closed for some reason.

Issue with electricity supply that is taking longer than expected to resolve. Not in a position to say when it will reopen yet.

Was in the Cork Examiner the other day

Cool - thanks Alf! Did contact them myself but when they didn't give a date I thought they were just being evasive, but they must genuinely not know atm.

Back in the gym this week after a 3 month layoff.
    Fawk. I feel weak

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Back in the gym this week after a 3 month layoff.
    Fawk. I feel weak

I can only imagine the DOMS! :eek::(

Yeah. Because im focused on rehab it's all high rep stuff too. Quads are a little sore and it's been less than 12 hours. Not looking forward to tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Jog my memory. Knee ligament injury kept you out?

Jog my memory. Knee ligament injury kept you out?

Close. Meniscus tear.
    Injured at the very end of March. Keyhole surgery on May 14th.

I don't know who doesn't love who but me and high bar...it's just tolerance. I don't know how to make the relationship work or do I just lock it in the basement and hope it eventually loves me?

It's a pity Dr Phil doesn't frequent these parts.

I don't know who doesn't love who but me and high bar...it's just tolerance. I don't know how to make the relationship work or do I just lock it in the basement and hope it eventually loves me?

It's a pity Dr Phil doesn't frequent these parts.

I feel that way about low bar tbh,

Maybe we should try some partner swapping? :D:D

I feel that way about low bar tbh,

Maybe we should try some partner swapping? :D:D

I would if I could but I can't low bar for the next while...if ever.

Clarence PRs his C&J.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzqw1O_IwMG/?igshid=d8hyk3dvk6z0

For reference, his weight is at 98.7kg as per post. Tian Tao just set a new record at -96kg of 231kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Clarence PRs his C&J.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzqw1O_IwMG/?igshid=d8hyk3dvk6z0

For reference, his weight is at 98.7kg as per post. Tian Tao just set a new record at -96kg of 231kg.

Probably the greatest champion we never had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Probably the greatest champion we never had

He never competed enough for that claim to be made.

There's more to competitive weightlifting than training lifts. Many lifters have put up obscene numbers in the gym that they could never come close to on an international competition platform.

• Advertisement

DylanJM wrote: »
    He never competed enough for that claim to be made.

Hence never had I guess.

I don't think anyone is claiming Clarence training PRs would translate to comp lifts. But the reality if he holds the national record in the 94s with lifts he put in 7 years ago. And has since added 30kg to his clean

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    Hence never had I guess.

I don't think anyone is claiming Clarence training PRs would translate to comp lifts. But the reality if he holds the national record in the 94s with lifts he put in 7 years ago. And has since added 30kg to his clean

It's a shame he never since competed so we'll really never know.

You can't compare his lifting with someone who's tested under WADA rules either

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    It's a shame he never since competed so we'll really never know.

You can't compare his lifting with someone who's tested under WADA rules either

The records I was referring to were in comp. I'd imagine they get him close to the top of the pile regardless of gains since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Would be cool to see him train for a powerlifting meet, give the spotters heart attacks when he squats

JJayoo wrote: »
    Would be cool to see him train for a powerlifting meet, give the spotters heart attacks when he squats

He had the option to compete last year at the ABS pro and I believe he just didn’t show up !

As he hasn’t competed under WADA conditions he can’t be compared to and tested comp lifter in reality

The way the spotters handled missed squats of 350kg+ (think one was 370kg) at the ABS Pro last year they'd be grand.

Would like to see how his numbers carry through to a meet though

Some spotters in Ireland are well used to standing beside 400kg+ squats ... I’ve spotted plenty very heavy squats both raw and equipped and in reality all you are doing is helping the bar back up in most cases as the weight is just that little too heavy for the lifter.

There is the odd occasion especially in equipped lifting when it all goes pear shaped and the bar goes one way and the lifter the other way .. but experience will kick in and rarely will there ever be a spotter injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I'm talking more about the way he dive bombs ATG with the weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

• Advertisement

I'm talking more about the way he dive bombs ATG with the weight

It would be a bit unnerving .. but once you know how a lifter squats you adjust your stance for spotting !

Advertisement