Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/meridian-peanut-butter

Meridian Smooth Peanut Butter (1 Kilogram)
    €4.93 €4.93 per kg
    WAS 9.89, NOW 4.93, SAVE 4.96
    Valid Jul 11th - Jul 17th

crunchy version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I never liked meridian peanut butter. Seemed way too dry or something. Much preferred bog standard panda or Tesco peanut butter.

But I got the bulkpowders roasted peanut butter recently. Dear god it's amazing.

I never liked meridian peanut butter. Seemed way too dry or something. Much preferred bog standard panda or Tesco peanut butter.
    Meridian can separate out, the top being very oily so you are meant to stir it up. I do not really bother too much and so currently and down the the bottom of the tub and it is really dry. You can just add more oil in yourself and stir it up.

The likes of tesco and panda just add oils to the mix.

I would guess the bulkpowders stuff might need stirring too, so you could be eating a oily top layer and the moment but could go drier as you go on (or maybe you have finished one already)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My plan over the summer is to up my cycling fitness , which is going well so far, Sat is now ~120KM cycle ~1000mtr climbing. Obviously means Fri-Mon is kind of out for any leg work. So question is does the cycling “gainz” translate into any benefits for the gym? Positive to maintenance or similar to just skipping a workout? Might it aid endurance in some way? Longer farmers walk for instance if not ability to carry more.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

rubadub wrote: »
    you are meant to stir it up

Usually an upper body workout all of its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

silverharp wrote: »
    My plan over the summer is to up my cycling fitness , which is going well so far, Sat is now ~120KM cycle ~1000mtr climbing. Obviously means Fri-Mon is kind of out for any leg work. So question is does the cycling “gainz” translate into any benefits for the gym? Positive to maintenance or similar to just skipping a workout? Might it aid endurance in some way? Longer farmers walk for instance if not ability to carry more.

Not really.

Cycling more makes you better at cycling.

Some hard hill sessions may help anaerobic fitness a bit but I’ve always found that it’s my grip that gives way on farmers walks long before my legs do.

My longest ever spin on the bike was 200km in just under 7 hours moving time.

Few days later, I struggled with the stop start nature of a 60 min GAA match.

I was very “cycling” fit but not match fit

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Long bike sessions are firmly aerobic fitness.
    People refer to high rep strength training as “endurance”. But it’s completely different.

Also agree that farmers talks are mainly grip limited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

anybody find MyFitnessPal is down a lot last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Yes, a lot of errors when entering data, changing pages etc. Wait a minute and try again seems to work most of the time so it may just be too many people. Be interesting to know if anyone who's paid for Premium sees the same problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Daemonic wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of errors when entering data, changing pages etc. Wait a minute and try again seems to work most of the time so it may just be too many people. Be interesting to know if anyone who's paid for Premium sees the same problems.

they are.

I actually bit the bullet last night and went to sign up to premium. even the sign up was bollocksed.

seems ok today though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

rubadub wrote: »
    Meridian can separate out, the top being very oily so you are meant to stir it up. I do not really bother too much and so currently and down the the bottom of the tub and it is really dry. You can just add more oil in yourself and stir it up.

Store it upside down and it’s easier to mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

silverharp wrote: »

You should focus on one or the other, it’s like a tug of war type of thing with cycling / weightlifting. You won’t improve at any meaningful rate at one or the other if you are heading your bets unless you are a total noob at both (which judging by distance and climbing you’re not).

It’s still worth doing your leg day a few days after the big ride, you probably won’t improve your weight lifting but it won’t hurt you; it’s good for joints and tendons and leg strength and all the rest of it.

If you want to improve your riding then focus on that and supplement with weight lifting. Cycling won’t provide any meaningful benefit to weight lifting BUT by combining the 2 you will be a well rounded athlete, albeit a master of none as they say.

For what it’s worth I cycle the shît out of it in the summer (long endurance rides) and weight lift more in the winter (while still doing shorter rides). If you eat enough you can still just about maintain your lifting level but improving is very difficult / impossible depending on what level you’re at.

jive wrote: »
    You should focus on one or the other, it’s like a tug of war type of thing with cycling / weightlifting. You won’t improve at any meaningful rate at one or the other if you are heading your bets unless you are a total noob at both (which judging by distance and climbing you’re not).

It’s still worth doing your leg day a few days after the big ride, you probably won’t improve your weight lifting but it won’t hurt you; it’s good for joints and tendons and leg strength and all the rest of it.

If you want to improve your riding then focus on that and supplement with weight lifting. Cycling won’t provide any meaningful benefit to weight lifting BUT by combining the 2 you will be a well rounded athlete, albeit a master of none as they say.

For what it’s worth I cycle the shît out of it in the summer (long endurance rides) and weight lift more in the winter (while still doing shorter rides). If you eat enough you can still just about maintain your lifting level but improving is very difficult / impossible depending on what level you’re at.

There is a seasonal thing to it, so come October will probably just slip back to commuting. For me its just an anti ageing strategy so well rounded would be great. This week isn’t working out too bad ,ride Sat 110K, Sunday did upper body, monday Lower, wed upper and today will be lower.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Just back into the gym a few weeks ago after over a decade off.. Been watching some YT videos and am starting to kind of doubt how useful a lot of the content is.

Athlean-X guy basically says that everything you're doing is wrong, and the comments are fawning over him. Is he just making content for the sake of making money? Feels like if you laid out all his advice in a spreadsheet, it would be a complete mess.

Thinking of just ignoring all that for a good few months until I have need for looking at specific content.

Athlean-X guy basically says that everything you're doing is wrong, and the comments are fawning over him. Is he just making content for the sake of making money? Feels like if you laid out all his advice in a spreadsheet, it would be a complete mess.

I'd agree 100%. And he's not alone.

Youtube has too much content at this stage. If you search for something specific like "squat grip width", you'll find 10+ videos giving contradicting advice. And the thing is, all the advice might be correct, depending on the context, which confuses matters even more.

Best advice in this regard I can give is to find a small number of credible content creators and follow them on both youtube and instagram. Getting lots of advice from a small number of sources is a good way of reducing the signal to noise ratio. If bodybuilding is what you're after, Mike Israetel and Eric Helms would be a good start.

Two of my favourite content creators are Alan Thrall and Omar Isuf and I like them for their honesty more than anything. Alan Thrall has changed the advice he has given over the years, but always cites his reasons why as he is always learning new things himself. Omar Isuf is always clear that it's his opinion he is giving as he is not an expert, but often gets experts in his videos when an expert's advice is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Two of my favourite content creators are Alan Thrall and Omar Isuf and I like them for their honesty more than anything. Alan Thrall has changed the advice he has given over the years, but always cites his reasons why as he is always learning new things himself. Omar Isuf is always clear that it's his opinion he is giving as he is not an expert, but often gets experts in his videos when an expert's advice is useful.

I'd add Juggernaut Training Systems, Chad Wesley Smith's baby, especially for squat, bench and deadlift.

Some really good content including great series on each of the big three, breaking them down over a short series of about five 5-minute videos that are very accessible.

He also owns a beautiful squat, which adds nothing to the above but it's true.

Just watching Generation Iron 3 on Netflix. And hour in before somebody mentions steroids. Then it quickly forgets about it. Lolers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Just back into the gym a few weeks ago after over a decade off.. Been watching some YT videos and am starting to kind of doubt how useful a lot of the content is.

Thinking of just ignoring all that for a good few months until I have need for looking at specific content.

Athlean-X drives me nuts to be honest. So much of what he does just seems to be pure fear mongering, and it plays into what a lot of people seem to want which gives him a very devoted fanbase. He probably has his uses (I believe he is an actual physio) but if you did everything he said to do you'd never leave the gym and you wouldn't be doing anything particularly productive. So yeah I think you're dead right.

There's a lot of great information out there but it can be hard to find and I think the sheer amount of it often leads to paralysis by analysis, especially when you're just starting out or getting back into it. I've found sources of information and communities that work for me but I think the best way to learn this stuff is to get in the gym and work. There's some very very basic stuff that you need to know like the outline of a good diet, what acceptable form is and what a good programme is. Once you have those things, hard work and consistency you will make progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

AthleanX has about 20 "The best exercises to build a big _____" for every muscle group. Same old sh1te.

If you are a roidy wrestler in the WWE then his stuff will prob work great.

Can't find a video, but there's a lifter at the IPF University World's that was disqualified for wearing a squat suit under her singlet. That's hilarious.

• Advertisement

Can't find a video, but there's a lifter at the IPF University World's that was disqualified for wearing a squat suit under her singlet. That's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHE4kpGK4l4&t=3000s (won't let me embed)

Maybe was squat briefs as opposed to a full suit.

You can see the judge motion to her hips after she finishes it.

24yvltg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Does look like briefs alright ... how would you even think you’d get away with that !

whippet wrote: »
    how would you even think you’d get away with that !
    reminded me of this
    man-caught-with-34k-worth-of-cocaine-under-his-wig-60645419.png

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0716/1062357-barcelona-cocaine-toupee/

Watch a documentary on Netflix the other night on The CrossFit games back in 2008. Interesting how much CrossFit has changed since then. Then it was basic all pull-ups, burpees, hill run and reasonably light weights at high tempo with questionable form.
    The strength component seems to have really jumped over the last 10 years. The bodyweight and high tempo stuff is still there. But guys have to be so much more strength focused to compete.

The guy winning all the way to the final event in 2008 was 135lbs. I doubt he even finish half the events these days.
    2019 games starts today

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’m hoping I can explain this properly. The floor in my gym is covered in black matting, think it’s common enough. A lad here has peeled out one of the tiles of matting and is standing in the gap dead lifting.

As I wrote this, he stopped to take off his socks and resume lifting. His connection to the ground must be epic.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

As in the rubber tiles?
    He's pull one up so be can deadlift on a solid base? Seems a bit extreme, just find a lifting platform if you care that much.

Or maybe he's training the worlds smallest rack pulls.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    As in the rubber tiles?
    He's pull one up so be can deadlift on a solid base? Seems a bit extreme, just find a lifting platform if you care that much.

Or maybe he's training the worlds smallest rack pulls.

Exactly those. It was bizarre to see.

In fairness he was a behemoth of a lad, I’m 189cm and over 100kg and he made me feel small. Maybe he’s on to something.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Have seen a few lads with knee wraps on lately. None of them seem to understand the use of wraps.

One put them on for a front squat/push press superset. They looked to be of FA benefit because the leggings would have been tighter than the wraps were.

• Advertisement

John Haack pulls 362.5kg ar 82.4kg

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0wn1vOHY84/?igshid=52tl6a61ivsj

907.5 total...

Advertisement