Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

13mm? Ah jaysus, why did you do that?

Because it was the only one Irish lifting had and I'm impatient.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see bulk powders are doing knee sleeves now - with the regular 30% off offers they might work out at a decent price:
    http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/knee-sleeves.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭CWF

Perseverance.

It's 13mm and leather. It will be some time before its comfortable.

Roll it up and open it back out again lots and lots of time. And simply using it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

CWF wrote: »
    Roll it up and open it back out again lots and lots of time. And simply using it!

Yup. Not saying it can't be done but from what I've been told, it just takes time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I posted here a while back, maybe in the last thread, about the 400kg squat this guy failed- lad is an absolute monster, I think ~150kg bw.

Anyway, some of the lads in my gym did a powerlifting team competition at the weekend, told me about the same guy who was attempting 250 on bench when his little finger got caught in the pins when re-racking and he had to go to hospital; apparently there was blood everywhere and his finger was basically crushed by the weight.

He went into the ambulance anyway, everyone hoping he was ok, only for him to return half an hour later with a big bandage around his thumb, ready for deadlifts.

He had no time to warm up so opened straight up with 270, then 320 on the second attempt then 350 on the third, with 9 fingers.

Mad respect to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I see bulk powders are doing knee sleeves now - with the regular 30% off offers they might work out at a decent price:

Ive thought about getting sleeves for a while but I don't know why. What exactly do they do? I've also thought about wraps but they're definitely too much fuss for me

Ive thought about getting sleeves for a while but I don't know why. What exactly do they do? I've also thought about wraps but they're definitely too much fuss for me

Wraps help increase your raw squat a bit. Sleeves are less effective than wraps. Neither protect your knees afaik.

You planning on competing in powerlifting?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Wraps help increase your raw squat a bit. Sleeves are less effective than wraps. Neither protect your knees afaik.

Way I see it, if sleeves gave me 1%, I'd take it. There's an argument that they can give a small benefit.

Is that offset by the smell from your gearbag if you forget to wash them after a squat session? Who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Would we be talking a 5% bump? I'm guessing it's got a bigger benefit when bouncing out of the hole rather than when doing a more controlled decent?
    I'm thinking of giving a single lift thing a go at some stage

Way I see it, if sleeves gave me 1%, I'd take it. There's an argument that they can give a small benefit.

Is that offset by the smell from your gearbag if you forget to wash them after a squat session? Who knows

If you're competing, take the 1%. Absolutely.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Would we be talking a 5% bump? I'm guessing it's got a bigger benefit when bouncing out of the hole rather than when doing a more controlled decent?
    I'm thinking of giving a single lift thing a go at some stage

I doubt they'd give you 5%. But I don't honestly know.

they/them/theirs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Tis very on topic in here

Yup. If I hadn't competed I wouldn't have them.

Yup. If I hadn't competed I wouldn't have them.

What federation do you lift in? I know some allow sleeves and others allow wraps.

they/them/theirs

I've definitely found a benefit from sleeves, albeit a very slight one. I have a pair of generic 7mm sleeves (basically the same as rehbands) I got from aliexpress and there's definitely some extra bounce out of the hole from them. I only wear them for heavier sets though, as I really try to restrict bouncing out of the hole and work on the eccentric portion.

Re: Wraps, from what I've heard there's a lot of people who use them incorrectly, and thus don't get nearly as much of a benefit from them as they should. For one, you're supposed to get someone else to wrap your legs, and people have different methods of wrapping them better than others.

I've heard they also take some getting used to and it's certainly more difficult to get below parallel with them on vs going raw.

I think unless you're going to go IPO or GPC, there's no need for wraps. I'd recommend sleeves for anyone on the other hand, although I'd refrain from wearing them all the time though. They also smell really, really bad after 3-4 uses without washing them.

Also make sure you dry them out after training, don't just leave them in the bag.

What federation do you lift in? I know some allow sleeves and others allow wraps.

In the IPF for first (and hopefully) second comp but I'll probably try IPO and GPC at some stage as well.The latter two allow wraps. Wraps sound horribly uncomfortable when done properly.

I haven't been wearing sleeves long enough to get a feel for the benefit. That said, I kinda do but then I questing whether that's a placebo effect. But there's a bunching of sleeve behind your knee in the hole. That'd gotta help.

I wash my sleeves after every session I use them. I forgot to once and gagged when I opened the bag. Don't be that guy surrounded by a thick fog of pungency emanating from your sleeves

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

I went from a 165kg raw max to a 200kg wrapped max with decent form. There's a serious bounce out of the hole.

I was told to simply drop and allow the wraps to take over. Might have explained my bad performance at the AIPO! :eek::D

Certainly I'd suggest everyone should try it once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭COH

I was told to simply drop and allow the wraps to take over.

That would be a great way to blow your quad tendons off

I was told to simply drop and allow the wraps to take over. [...]

Certainly I'd suggest everyone should try it once.

...yeah, I for one won't be trying it.

Try a burrito bowl

I got tortilla chips this time

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Try a burrito bowl

I got tortilla chips this time

Surely to jaysus that negates the point of getting it in a bowl!

What I want is a taco salad bowl, where the bowl is edible. I used to love them in the states.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

COH wrote: »
    That would be a great way to blow your quad tendons off

Poor choice of words:D:D. What I mean is I was told to speed up the descent as the wraps feel very stiff and the temptation is to go slow. Probably for an onlooker it doesn't look much faster than a normal squat.

How do you lads squat with wraps, given the stiffness of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭COH

How do you lads squat with wraps, given the stiffness of it?

Like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIibirYjmFQ

Or:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPzxF7Ygyk2

COH wrote: »

Please, please, please tell me you requested 'Let it Go' for that attempt :pac:

Surely to jaysus that negates the point of getting it in a bowl!

What I want is a taco salad bowl, where the bowl is edible. I used to love them in the states.
    I'm coeliac
    Bowls are the only way
    Chips are gf though
    And super tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

i use wraps and sleeves quite a bit.

Sleeves are fine and easy to get used to .. but invest in a decent pair .. SBDs.

I fell out of favour with wraps for a while until I realised that they are no use unless there is decent weight on the bar. When squatting with wraps i'd struggle for depth until at least 200kg was on the bar.

Wraps are only for competitions (AIPO, IPO and GPC) and I will only wrap for my last two warm ups and then the three comp lifts.

At my age I find sleeves are great for reps, warm ups and just keeping the knees warm during the session. I have the SBD sleeves and some Vodi ones. the Vodi ones are just for keeping me warm.

In competitions it is vital to have someone wrap your knees as to do it properly take a bit of energy and that isn't ideal just before a lift. They need to be as tight as you can possibly suffer. So when you are walking to the platform your legs are dead straight. Don't attempt to bend your knee before the actual squat as this can take some of the spring out of the wrap.

What laserlad2020 was trying to say is to trust that the wraps will give a bit of momentum to get out of the hole. If you descend too slow you will loose momentum at the bottom and the wraps will also prevent getting decent depth.

Wraps have only given me about 20kg on top of my PR in sleeves, however, I have been using relatively soft wraps up to now.

Prudence would also dictate that you should be able to wrap yourself to a decent standard .. I saw it happen at the weekend when a person who was doing the wrapping suffered a bad cramp in their arm and it was left up to the lifter to finish off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Neither protect your knees afaik.
    Not so much protection per se (like a knee brace would offer). But I feel that the sleeves help my knees warm up quicker, which in turn offers its own protection. Nogi grappling can be quite harsh on the knees, especially if you play with leglocks.
    I've definitely found a benefit from sleeves, albeit a very slight one. I have a pair of generic 7mm sleeves (basically the same as rehbands) I got from aliexpress and there's definitely some extra bounce out of the hole from them. I only wear them for heavier sets though, as I really try to restrict bouncing out of the hole and work on the eccentric portion.
    I started to bounce in the hole too, and going deeper and deeper with high bar. It's got to the point where I feel like I'm missing loads of tension up higher and not sure how to correct it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see the price of 1kg Whey has gone up from £15.90 to £17.50 at both MP & Bulkpowders :( Must be a general cost/price rise - possibly currency related also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I see the price of 1kg Whey has gone up from £15.90 to £17.50 at both MP & Bulkpowders :( Must be a general cost/price rise - possibly currency related also?

Whey is dairy so milk price(farm gate price) fluctuation could have an effect on it

• Advertisement

Advertisement