Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I like the one that's going well at any given point. When squats are going well, it's my favourite lift. When it's not, I hate it!

I can concur with this :D

Possibly deads most of the time for me, maybe because it's the heaviest thing I can lift so always feels good!

Though I really like seated cable rows just because I really feel a great stretch/range of motion in my back, so regardless of weight used I love them after sitting at a desk all day as my back always feel less "scrunched up" afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BadBannana wrote: »
    What's your favourite lift lads? Mine's the OHP.

55kg 1x5 is my best if you care
    I've a love hate relaionship with OHP.
    I've done something in the low 60s for 5 in the past. But reps were just to below chin.
    Since then I deloaded and have been physically touching bar to chest every rep and progress is slow. I hit 56kg this week, after missing the last rep 2 weeks in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Anything but the bench press.....but only because I'm extremely crap at it!:(

Would anybody have a link to a full body routine they have found good in the past? Preferably with linear progression but not essential

Looking to change things up and cut down to 3 sessions a week so thinking full body would be best...googling to try and find one but most search results are your typical Mens Health type routines! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Would anybody have a link to a full body routine they have found good in the past? Preferably with linear progression but not essential

Looking to change things up and cut down to 3 sessions a week so thinking full body would be best...googling to try and find one but most search results are your typical Mens Health type routines! :p

3-day per week and linear progression, you say? Texas Method! I'm biased though because I'm doing it at the moment and think it's awesome.

Full body routine suggests a bodybuilding program? If so, Texas Method isn't that.

• Advertisement

3-day per week and linear progression, you say? Texas Method! I'm biased though because I'm doing it at the moment and think it's awesome.

Full body routine suggests a bodybuilding program? If so, Texas Method isn't that.

I suppose something bodybuildery would be best, as also going to try and lose a small bit of weight (not much, maybe 4 or 5 kg)

Just looked up the texas method, i dont think i qualify as intermediate yet unfortunately!

I suppose something bodybuildery would be best, as also going to try and lose a small bit of weight (not much, maybe 4 or 5 kg)

Just looked up the texas method, i dont think i qualify as intermediate yet unfortunately!
    Ice Cream Fitness 5 x 5 is a good beginner strength plus bodybuilder workout

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    Ice Cream Fitness 5 x 5 is a good beginner strength plus bodybuilder workout

Is that a real thing? Sounds delicious

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Between that and Android updates we're surrounded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

• Advertisement

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Starting strength bastardisation

Oh yeah. It's basically the standard 5x5 plus accessory work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

55kg 1x5 is my best if you care

Hmm, my favourite part of a lift is the "am I gonna make it" bit.

Deadlift - that bit I'm pushing my feet into the ground and trying to lift the bar. If I get it a couple of inches, it's coming.

Squat - can i convince myself to go low enough and then get back up. Again, a couple of inches back up and she's goin.

Bench - it's always the final extension I find the hardest. Same with OHP

Start, middle and end.

If I could only do one, I do it the least but, it would be deadlifts.

Squat.

But that's largely cos it's been moving up slightly for the last year after an 18-month-plateau.

It was probably deadlift before that cos I was PRing at the end of each training cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Strength: Texas Method or possibly Greyskull LP if you're still able to increase session by session

Bodybuilding: Maybe try Icecream Fitness or PHUL.

I'm personally running Texas method and love it. I do front squats on Wednesday but apart from that run the basic routine. Mondays are a long workout but worth it. Also remember that the purpose of Wednesday is to recover not to throw in all your accessories

Favourite lift: deadlift. Always has been, probably always will be. There's no way to cheat it, it's all about raw strength off the floor.

Love the Oly lifts too. Can't snatch or C&J for ****; but when I hit them it's seriously impressive looking. I've had people stand and stare when I'm snatching in the gym.

they/them/theirs

I've had people stand and stare when I'm snatching in the gym.

I've had people stand and stare when I dance.

It's not always a positive reflection.

Favourite lift: deadlift. Always has been, probably always will be. There's no way to cheat it, it's all about raw strength off the floor.

Love the Oly lifts too. Can't snatch or C&J for ****; but when I hit them it's seriously impressive looking. I've had people stand and stare when I'm snatching in the gym.

Aw I miss oly lifts.
    I can't snatch a 20kg bar at all at all so I haven't done any in so long

Starting strength bastardisation

It improved on a lot of the flaws with SS imo.
    And didn't starting strength bastardise a previous 5x5? Maybe not.

ICF 5 x 5 isn't perfect, but it's pretty good for novices
    that said, I usually modify it when suggesting it for people, Mellor 5x5 is the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Lads what's the craic with rest between sets? I'm doing SL 5x5 for the last few weeks and it says rest for 90 seconds or 3 mins if it was hard. Most of the time I go again after less than 60 seconds, is there any harm in doing that or will it only matter when the weights start getting really heavy?
    Squat is 75kg, bench is 50kg and next deadlift is 90kg.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Lads what's the craic with rest between sets? I'm doing SL 5x5 for the last few weeks and it says rest for 90 seconds or 3 mins if it was hard. Most of the time I go again after less than 60 seconds, is there any harm in doing that or will it only matter when the weights start getting really heavy?
    Squat is 75kg, bench is 50kg and next deadlift is 90kg.

Doesn't matter much when you're lifting well within yourself. The heavier you go, the more rest you'll need.

It's not a race so no need to cut the rest unnecessarily short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Doesn't matter much when you're lifting well within yourself. The heavier you go, the more rest you'll need.

It's not a race so no need to cut the rest unnecessarily short.

Ah yeah I realise that but it's just I'm kinda getting bored waiting sometimes. I don't want to get in and rush out but at the same time don't want to hang around if it isn't strictly necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I love power cleans, im not very good at them and my technique leaves a lot to be desired but suppose its one of the lifts that i have the most scope for progressing in quickly which is part of the appeal.
    Would love to be able to snatch but my mobility just cant allow it, can barely overhead squat an empty bar! i am one of those folks standing staring anytime someone is doing in the gym, it just looks so damn cool when done well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Strength: Texas Method or possibly Greyskull LP if you're still able to increase session by session

Bodybuilding: Maybe try Icecream Fitness or PHUL.

I'm personally running Texas method and love it. I do front squats on Wednesday but apart from that run the basic routine. Mondays are a long workout but worth it. Also remember that the purpose of Wednesday is to recover not to throw in all your accessories

I've just started Texas this week (well the Cowboy method by Chad Wesley Smith but same thing).

How do you gauge how much to add after you've finished your 10rm? Is it just something that comes naturally after the first or second micro cycle?

It improved on a lot of the flaws with SS imo.
    And didn't starting strength bastardise a previous 5x5? Maybe not.

ICF 5 x 5 isn't perfect, but it's pretty good for novices
    that said, I usually modify it when suggesting it for people, Mellor 5x5 is the win

Have you a fancy website to sell the Mellor 5x5?

I'm not sure there is a perfect program. I think Starting Strength is good because it's simple. There's far too much over complication in strength training IMO.

they/them/theirs

Have you a fancy website to sell the Mellor 5x5?

I'm not sure there is a perfect program. I think Starting Strength is good because it's simple. There's far too much over complication in strength training IMO.
    No website, by private arrangements only.
    I will say, if anyone is interested. Mellor intermediate power routine is also complete and ready to do.

SS is simple. But power cleans are too complicated for most novices.
    SL is over simple and has holes in it (no verticals pulling)

Mellor 5x5 solves both of these issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Does the program cover photo have somebody in a tank top looking down at one of their biceps as they curl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Does the program cover photo have somebody in a tank top looking down at one of their biceps as they curl?

Is it really a program if it doesn't have a photo like that?

No website, by private arrangements only.
    I will say, if anyone is interested. Mellor intermediate power routine is also complete and ready to do.

SS is simple. But power cleans are too complicated for most novices.
    SL is over simple and has holes in it (no verticals pulling)

Melllr 5x5 solves both of these issues

I'LL BUY FIVE!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for suggestions, ill give ICF a go...ill probably be cursing ye all with the shock of squatting 3 times a week! :D

Advertisement