Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Does the program cover photo have somebody in a tank top looking down at one of their biceps as they curl?
    Not looking down at their bicep, just looking down on the life choices the viewer has made

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Thanks for suggestions, ill give ICF a go...ill probably be cursing ye all with the shock of squatting 3 times a week! :D
    Joking aside, I was actually serious about the improved version. PM if interested. No cash up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,834 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Thanks for suggestions, ill give ICF a go...ill probably be cursing ye all with the shock of squatting 3 times a week! :D

Always worth a mention too http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/92687179

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    No website, by private arrangements only.
    I will say, if anyone is interested. Mellor intermediate power routine is also complete and ready to do.

SS is simple. But power cleans are too complicated for most novices.
    SL is over simple and has holes in it (no verticals pulling)

Mellor 5x5 solves both of these issues

That's a big hole in SS alright. Everyone should do pull-ups, or a pull up variations. My shoulder health has improved hugely since I started doing pull ups every time I'm in the gym.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Brian? wrote: »
    That's a big hole in SS alright. Everyone should do pull-ups, or a pull up variations. My shoulder health has improved hugely since I started doing pull ups every time I'm in the gym.

I'd double thank this were it possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Brian? wrote: »

SS introduces pull/chin ups after a certain amount of time. It's only the complete beginner version that omits them.

DylanJM wrote: »
    SS introduces pull/chin ups after a certain amount of time. It's only the complete beginner version that omits them.
    I was talking about Stronglifts with the lack of pull ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

ok lads, might not be right thread, which is going to be the best for growing leg muscle. i have been doing 3x5 working sets of 100kg. i have been struggling with this for weeks. the total squat session including warmup set = 2620kg. tonight i done something different i squated 10 sets of 10 with 50kg, 60 sec rest between sets. this = 5000kg. im 39 and just started squating and barbell work last december

Surfn wrote: »
    ok lads, might not be right thread, which is going to be the best for growing leg muscle. i have been doing 3x5 working sets of 100kg. i have been struggling with this for weeks. the total squat session including warmup set = 2620kg. tonight i done something different i squated 10 sets of 10 with 50kg, 60 sec rest between sets. this = 5000kg. im 39 and just started squating and barbell work last december

The 10x10 is the way to go out of the 2 options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As above, 10x10 not least because it's more time under the bar working on technique.

You should be able to bump the weight up from 50 fairly regularly

• Advertisement

I'm going to disagree. if you can do 3 x 5 @ 100kg your 1RM is probably around 125kg. 50kg isn't going to enough intensity imo.

On a side note. I also don't really get the fuss around GVT tbh, it just seems like volume for volumes sake. Personally, I think a strength orientated program with a bias towards hypertrophy would be a better solution.

Here's an article with some criticism of GVT. Bearing in mind it's written more in relation to GVT's relevance (or lack of) to strength athletes but I believe there is some food for thought in there for the average person thinking of following it.

http://www.sportivnypress.com/2014/ten-sets-of-what-2/

I'm going to disagree. if you can do 3 x 5 @ 100kg your 1RM is probably around 125kg. 50kg isn't going to enough intensity imo.

Which is why I said they should be able to progress quickly.

They're new to squatting so the time spent squatting more reps now with a lighter weight might be more beneficial than doing fewer reps at a higher weight.

That's why I thought that of the two options, the greater number of reps would be more useful.

Which is why I said they should be able to progress quickly.

They're knew to squatting so the time spent squatting more reps now with a lighter weight might be more beneficial than doing fewer reps at a higher weight.

That's why I thought that of the two options, the greater number of reps would be more useful.

I agree that more reps would be useful in order to develop technique but I believe 10x10 is overkill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

@Surfn. A routine I found very useful over time was a set of 10 with the following reps: 5,5,4,4,3,3,3 then into final 3,3,3. The final 3 sets were used to push to failure. At the moment, I'm hitting 170 on last 3 for squats. Routine would go as follows:

5@70
    5@100
    4@120
    4@130
    3@140
    3@150
    3@160

3@160
    3@165
    3@170

Would work on weaknesses with super sets after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

As above, 10x10 not least because it's more time under the bar working on technique.

You should be able to bump the weight up from 50 fairly regularly

i ment to use 60kg instead half way throught the sets i realised i had the 15kg plates on the bar. but i think the next sessions instead of going to 60kg i will just bump up by 2.5kg and progress like that

I agree that more reps would be useful in order to develop technique but I believe 10x10 is overkill.

I don't disagree. I just meant 'of the two' in a brief reply.

On a side note. I also don't really get the fuss around GVT tbh, it just seems like volume for volumes sake. Personally, I think a strength orientated program with a bias towards hypertrophy would be a better solution.

Here's an article with some criticism of GVT. Bearing in mind it's written more in relation to GVT's relevance (or lack of) to strength athletes but I believe there is some food for thought in there for the average person thinking of following it.

http://www.sportivnypress.com/2014/ten-sets-of-what-2/

Didn't Greg nucklos and the other guys at MASS show recently that there was no advantages to a GVT program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Didn't Greg nucklos and the other guys at MASS show recently that there was no advantages to a GVT program?

Na. They showed it had little advantage under certain conditions and under the constraints of the study. The end of the article clarifies their point pretty well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Have done Hanleys 6 week strength program before which is pretty much this, don't think I'd be trying it again while trying to lose weight!
    Mellor wrote: »
    Joking aside, I was actually serious about the improved version. PM if interested. No cash up front

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

How does one go about making pea protein palatable! I have strawberry whey that was disgusting and was looking forward to something nicer as I love peas but it takes gross and smells like those green bases people stick flower displays in :(

• Advertisement

Never tried pea protein. I did get a cheap spinach powder for the craic while ordering something else. It had to be the most disgusting thing I've ever had

I said in here before that choc beef protein was mank. Banana fudge beef protein from bulkpowders is great. There's a place that does a vanilla cinnamon one i might try

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

cloudatlas wrote: »
    How does one go about making pea protein palatable! I have strawberry whey that was disgusting and was looking forward to something nicer as I love peas but it takes gross and smells like those green bases people stick flower displays in :(

never had pea protein, but reading this brightened up my day as I had run out of protein powder and then remembered my brother in law had given me an unopened tub he found when clearing out.....

So while chugging down the watery/banana flavored shake this morning (it was like that yellow medicine that was around years ago) i spotted the expiry date was July 2015!!!!!

No nasty side effects yet...I was expecting to be like a trumpet after it! :D

Starvin all day. Just inhaled a pizza. Now i'm on 2k cals for the day
    oh well
    recovery for next week

Well great, now I want pizza!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Starvin all day. Just inhaled a pizza. Now i'm on 2k cals for the day
    oh well
    recovery for next week

It's always worth it though

Pizza is overrated.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but don't shoot the messenger.

Another stock quote.

Pizza is overrated.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but don't shoot the messenger.

Another stock quote.

That's it; you're out of the Turtles.

That's it; you're out of the Turtles.

I was always Leonardo.

I was training and being zen and sh*t while Michelangelo was filling his face with pizza.

I was Raphael cos he's obviously the coolest. There was a girl I was friends with that always played April and I told her April kisses Raphael. /swish

• Advertisement

I was Raphael cos he's obviously the coolest. There was a girl I was friends with that always played April and I told her April kisses Raphael. /swish

Leonardo was the Hannibal. Raphael was the Mr T.

Respect for how you played that, nonetheless.

Advertisement