Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Oh god the absolute cringe at faking videos just to qualify. Just pathetic stuff.
    Apparently he's all his open scores were just made up.
    Only a couple of submissions needed a supporting video. Then the editing software came out.
    Desperate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I shouldn't have been as amused as I was but anyway...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUkGqWcle-s/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I shouldn't have been as amused as I was but anyway...

****ing amazing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,834 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What are people's views on good morning lifts. I've read a lot of good and bad on it

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What are people's views on good morning lifts. I've read a lot of good and bad on it
    Done well, it's a great lift. Hip hinging is a hugely important movement.

But doing it with bad form, or form breaking down from going too heavy and it will very quickly become dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mellor wrote: »
    Done well, it's a great lift. Hip hinging is a hugely important movement.

But doing it with bad form, or form breaking down from going too heavy and it will very quickly become dangerous.

Agreed.

I hate GMs though cos they hurt and I'm weak...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Dtp1979 wrote:

Great hamstring and back exercise. Pretty bad of you're to do a squat though...

Agreed.

I hate GMs though cos they hurt and I'm weak...

Ye wouldn't think it by those pics ha

Ye wouldn't think it by those pics ha

I'm also humble. :pac:

If it's just for glute hamstring work, then I'd probably be more inclined to do RDLs just because I've found them more effective for deadlift.

GMs will work erectors harder if you're into that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Do them right or don't do them at all. I think if Bruce Lee hadn't injured himself doing them they'd be a lot more popular than they are. It takes one bad story...

If it's just for glute hamstring work, then I'd probably be more inclined to do RDLs just because I've found them more effective for deadlift.

I do RDL's but was looking to add in good mornings on another day. As an assistance excersises, they look like something that'd help out squat and deadlifts

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I do RDL's but was looking to add in good mornings on another day. As an assistance excersises, they look like something that'd help out squat and deadlifts

I'd do one or the other, no real need to do both. Essentially working the same muscles. In my experience, you can go heavier on RDLs than GMs so you get a better training effect. On a risk v benefit analysis, RDLs win every time.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I also hate RDLs...

Brian? wrote: »
    I'd do one or the other, no real need to do both. Essentially working the same muscles. In my experience, you can go heavier on RDLs than GMs so you get a better training effect. On a risk v benefit analysis, RDLs win every time.
    The leverage is probably greater in good mornings, which balances the extra load in RDLs. People probably get away with worse form in RDL.

For me it comes down to your reasons for the exercise. Deadlift carryover, do RDLs. Back stability/hip hinge do GMs.
    Hip Rom/Hansyring flexibility do Jefferson curls. Which looks like a RDL with awful form. Different purposes

Why do we even need hamstrings?

The leverage is probably greater in good mornings, which balances the extra load in RDLs. People probably get away with worse form in RDL.

For me it comes down to your reasons for the exercise. Deadlift carryover, do RDLs. Back stability/hip hinge do GMs.
    Hip Rom/Hansyring flexibility do Jefferson curls. Which looks like a RDL with awful form. Different purposes

So would you see a problem doing both RDL and GM on different days?

So would you see a problem doing both RDL and GM on different days?

The question about doing both isn't so much if there's a problem but if there's a point...

The question about doing both isn't so much if there's a problem but if there's a point...

Well seeing as I'm a beginner and looking to build on everything, is there a point to doing both I guess I'm saying? Or as Brian said, are they basically working the same thing?

Just do one or the other imo. Both have a lot of overlap. They are assistance to the deadlift. Focus on deadlift+which ever you find most comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I don't think it's simple as picking one or the other. They are pretty different exercises imo despite having having somewhat similar movement patterns. The amount loading is quite different as well. With RDL you could easily do sets of multiple reps with 70-80% of your back squat whereas with the GM you might only use 20-30% of your back squat (for a set of the same no. of reps). Don't see a problem with including both in a training program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Can I post some vids for a form check ?
    Feeling like my squat is a bit off and recorded some sets today.
    I think i was letting the bar come forward a bit much and needto stay more upright as I sit back but I wonder should my knees come forward a bit more ?
    Deadlift, I'm working on my set up at the moment trying to lean back a bit more. Think I need to squeeze my lats more ?
    The squat is 80kg, deadlift is 100kg (both 50% of recent 1rm)

PS, please ignore the bands on the squats, trying to teach myself to keep knees out more.

https://youtu.be/D3KzmqZ-rMI

https://youtu.be/ZTwM0QCPdkM

https://youtu.be/WQX7lLoXaUw

I think that'll fix the embed.

Thanks, first time adding vids

It'll be hard to know from a squat or deadlift that's 50% of your max

It'll be hard to know from a squat or deadlift that's 50% of your max

Really ?
    I've been trying to drill better technique at lower % when I can slow it down/bit more control over the weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

will56 wrote: »
    Can I post some vids for a form check ?
    Feeling like my squat is a bit off and recorded some sets today.
    I think i was letting the bar come forward a bit much and needto stay more upright as I sit back but I wonder should my knees come forward a bit more ?
    Deadlift, I'm working on my set up at the moment trying to lean back a bit more. Think I need to squeeze my lats more ?
    The squat is 80kg, deadlift is 100kg (both 50% of recent 1rm)

PS, please ignore the bands on the squats, trying to teach myself to keep knees out more.

https://youtu.be/D3KzmqZ-rMI

https://youtu.be/ZTwM0QCPdkM

https://youtu.be/WQX7lLoXaUw

Squats look ok for the most part, could maybe go a little deeper.

Deadlift looks off in the start position. Shoulders are in front off the bar when you initiate the pull. Also looks like the bar is quite a bit away from your shins? I think you are right in that you need to sit back a bit more.

will56 wrote: »
    Really ?
    I've been trying to drill better technique at lower % when I can slow it down/bit more control over the weight.

It's hard to know how it translates to what technique looks like towards the top end.

It does look like the bar gets a bit ahead of the front of your mid-foot though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I've gotten deadlift PRs without doing any deadlift training at all just squats and good mornings.
    Lately I've played around with them and found that 3 variations work different muscle groups way more or less for me:
    1. Wide stance GMs- Works the glutes the most
    2. Narrow(er) stance Gms- weirdly enough these are more of a hamstring dominant movement for me
    3. Partial GMs -these are the lower back moneymaker for me currently, they keep tension on the lower back without using excessive load so it's nice and safe

Throw on top of that that you can do them either high bar position or low bar you then have 6 exercises in one.

In a month I might find things change but personally I've always they've been good to use every so often at the very least

• Advertisement

I've gotten deadlift PRs without doing any deadlift training at all just squats and good mornings.
    Lately I've played around with them and found that 3 variations work different muscle groups way more or less for me:
    1. Wide stance GMs- Works the glutes the most
    2. Narrow(er) stance Gms- weirdly enough these are more of a hamstring dominant movement for me
    3. Partial GMs -these are the lower back moneymaker for me currently, they keep tension on the lower back without using excessive load so it's nice and safe

Throw on top of that that you can do them either high bar position or low bar you then have 6 exercises in one.

In a month I might find things change but personally I've always they've been good to use every so often at the very least

How partial is the Partial GM and what kind of load do you use?

Advertisement