Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

How partial is the Partial GM and what kind of load do you use?

Well last Fri for example I only had about 40kg on the bar, I did 2 sets of 12 and AMRAPed the last set.
    There's a point at about two thirds of the way to my chest being parallel with the floor that it feels like my hamstrings start to take the load instead of just my back, so I'd stop just short of there and towards the top Id stop just short of where I stop feeling tension in my lower back.
    As it's a constant tension you don't needs tons of weight so for me it's a nice safe finisher for my back where I can stay strict and things don't get messy which can happen on AMRAP sets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Well last Fri for example I only had about 40kg on the bar, I did 2 sets of 12 and AMRAPed the last set.
    There's a point at about two thirds of the way to my chest being parallel with the floor that it feels like my hamstrings start to take the load instead of just my back, so I'd stop just short of there and towards the top Id stop just short of where I stop feeling tension in my lower back.
    As it's a constant tension you don't needs tons of weight so for me it's a nice safe finisher for my back where I can stay strict and things don't get messy which can happen on AMRAP sets

I ask cos it sounded a little like what you'd get from a back extension, perhaps? Bit more load, mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I ask cos it sounded a little like what you'd get from a back extension, perhaps? Bit more load, mind you.

Yeah it's definitely more scalable in terms of increasing load, also the bottom of the movement if you do them heavier helps you fight to get into a better position if it gets ugly in a squat too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

When do you decide that you need personal training? I have been made aware of many online personal trainers that sound good, but I have no idea what I require, I track my macros when I need to and I have adjusted my programme to work around weaknesses but I have no idea if it is the best it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

cloudatlas wrote: »
    When do you decide that you need personal training? I have been made aware of many online personal trainers that sound good, but I have no idea what I require, I track my macros when I need to and I have adjusted my programme to work around weaknesses but I have no idea if it is the best it can be.

Are you looking for personal training or someone to do meal plans for you? To be honest i would avoid the online trainers and go meet someone in person. It will cost more but you will get so much more for it. An online personal trainer will probably end up giving you a program that you could just google and do yourself

• Advertisement

What would be the end goal of working with a trainer for you?

Answering that will help to work back from.

What would be the end goal of working with a trainer for you?

Answering that will help to work back from.

I am not looking to lose weight or gain drastic aesthetic appearance just to get stronger, I suppose I'm just looking for someone to give it a once over and tell me if I'm barking up the right tree, perhaps a one off session with a pt in person is in order.

I am not looking to lose weight or gain drastic aesthetic appearance just to get stronger, I suppose I'm just looking for someone to give it a once over and tell me if I'm barking up the right tree, perhaps a one off session with a pt in person is in order.

Basically someone to see if there are unknown unknowns :)

Yeah, maybe a one-off to start with and see what transpires.

But make sure to get a well-recommended trainer who will tell you what's what.

Basically someone to see if there are unknown unknowns :)

Yeah, maybe a one-off to start with and see what transpires.

But make sure to get a well-recommended trainer who will tell you what's what.

The problem is I'm not based in Dublin anymore. Is the UKSCA level 1 a good qualification?

The problem is I'm not based in Dublin anymore. Is the UKSCA level 1 a good qualification?

Qualifications are a starting point. There have been several threads here where the well-regarded PTs say that experience working with and learning from well-established PTs is a better indicator of quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Qualifications are a starting point. There have been several threads here where the well-regarded PTs say that experience working with and learning from well-established PTs is a better indicator of quality.
    this^^^^^

now is currently the worst possible time for anyone to enter into the fitness industry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Transform wrote: »
    this^^^^^

now is currently the worst possible time for anyone to enter into the fitness industry

Why's that?

Not that it's anything I'm looking into or ever will be! I just lurk here quite a bit and enjoy reading about the fitness industry from a business perspective (both gym/institution level and trainer level).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Why's that?

Totally saturated is my understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Zillah wrote: »

Disheartening for someone considering entering the industry........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

BadBannana wrote: »

It's the kind of industry where, if that disheartens you, you likely wouldn't do well in it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

It's the kind of industry where, if that disheartens you, you likely wouldn't do well in it anyway.

Thank you Mr Nervous Wreck

To be fair, I think he means that you have to be confident that what you can offer is better than the a substantial amount of the people offering PT services, then you'd have to wonder how you're going to make your way.

The same in any profession - you need to be able to sell yourself as being a cut above your peers and be able to follow up on that.

To be fair, I think he means that you have to be confident that what you can offer is better than the a substantial amount of the people offering PT services, then you'd have to wonder how you're going to make your way.

The same in any profession - you need to be able to sell yourself as being a cut above your peers and be able to follow up on that.

This as well as the fact that, even if you were unique and offering a niche product/service in a market where you've easily got a leg up on the competition, being self-employed (which most PTs are) is very hard. Facing self-employment in an industry where you don't have those advantages is all the more difficult and if that's something that disheartened a person, they'd be likely enough to fail. It's not just about being the best and planning how you conduct business, it's about the grit that is downright fundamental to self-employment, particularly for an aspiring PT. Most people don't have it. It's when the ones that have that grit and also the knowledge, experience and passion go out on their own that you get a PT worth using.

Zillah wrote: »
    ^^^this

BadBannana wrote: »
    sorry i cant hear you from all the "online coaches" and under qualified trainers swarming the industry

• Advertisement

and have something to say

This as well as the fact that, even if you were unique and offering a niche product/service in a market where you've easily got a leg up on the competition, being self-employed (which most PTs are) is very hard. Facing self-employment in an industry where you don't have those advantages is all the more difficult and if that's something that disheartened a person, they'd be likely enough to fail. It's not just about being the best and planning how you conduct business, it's about the grit that is downright fundamental to self-employment, particularly for an aspiring PT. Most people don't have it. It's when the ones that have that grit and also the knowledge, experience and passion go out on their own that you get a PT worth using.
    defo^^^^^^

Ive seen it all and currently the big move is back towards one to one training which i personally never moved away from.

defo^^^^^^

Ive seen it all and currently the big move is back towards one to one training which i personally never moved away from.

When you say "back", when do you reckon things moved away from there? When the recession hit? Just interested...!

When you say "back", when do you reckon things moved away from there? When the recession hit? Just interested...!
    yes around the same time and as crossfit exploded.

Lower cost of entry and someone to lead the classes.

Im now working with more one to one clients than ever because they dont mind paying for the best advice for them.

yes around the same time and as crossfit exploded.

Lower cost of entry and someone to lead the classes.

Im now working with more one to one clients than ever because they dont mind paying for the best advice for them.

Interesting! Have you experienced more business from people moving away from the likes of crossfit? Kinda feels like that craze is, if not over, certainly less ubiquitous in the last few months/year...

Interesting! Have you experienced more business from people moving away from the likes of crossfit? Kinda feels like that craze is, if not over, certainly less ubiquitous in the last few months/year...

For me, I started group training in RevFit a few years ago, then stopped when I needed some extra savings for a holiday and am now back in a similar-ish group training environment. I don't think I'd want to train any other way, except 1:1 if I could afford it.

Revfit is the bestest o/

I'm dying to get back into training. Except I know how important a light week is right now. Also I'm wrecked and still sore. :pac:
    I have Big Plans for November.

I decided to console myself with SBD knee sleeves. Won't get to wear them for a while yet but they will be in The Gym Press spreading gains all over my gear.

I decided to console myself with SBD knee sleeves. Won't get to wear them for a while yet but they will be in The Gym Press spreading gains all over my gear.

Do you usually use knee sleeves? Do your knees hurt? Is that what they're for?

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Do you usually use knee sleeves? Do your knees hurt? Is that what they're for?

Yeah just for top sets. They don't hurt - wraps would and that's why they help out of the hole. Not sure of or how much sleeves help but if they only give you 1% and that's the difference between making a PR and not, I'll take it.

Advertisement