Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,834 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Blocked. Looks like it might be down to music cos it says UMG (Universal) blocked it on content.

Ah feck sake. It's a crap song anyway. Is there anyway around that?

Any better this time?
    https://youtu.be/r2WyVobFM40

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any better this time?
    https://youtu.be/r2WyVobFM40

Couple of quick things, it's hard to see everything from that angle.

1. Your upper back isn't tight enough. Looks like your shoulders are rolled forward at the start of the lift. Pin your shoulder blades back and down before the pull.

2. It's a deadlift. The weight should be dead on the floor before each rep. You're using announce off the floor. Set the weight down, pause, tighten upper back and then pull.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Brian? wrote: »
    Couple of quick things, it's hard to see everything from that angle.

1. Your upper back isn't tight enough. Looks like your shoulders are rolled forward at the start of the lift. Pin your shoulder blades back and down before the pull.

2. It's a deadlift. The weight should be dead on the floor before each rep. You're using announce off the floor. Set the weight down, pause, tighten upper back and then pull.

Agree with the above. on point 1, you arent taking the slack out of the bar, you should pull yourself down to the bar to get yourself into position for the lift so that you are nice and tight and the moment you exert pressure to begin the move, the bar will be ready to go with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

All of the above. Make sure your shoulders are in line with the bar if they're not already.
    If they're playing that stuff in the gym when you're lifting stick on some headphones or something and play something fast and angry.
    It might sound frivolous but if you're doing something that's heavy you need to be fully amped up. Hearing that in the background is going to take a rep maybe two off what you can get. It's no coincidence alot of strongmen and powerlifters listen to what they listen to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If they're playing that stuff in the gym when you're lifting stick on some headphones or something and play something fast and angry.
    It might sound frivolous but if you're doing something that's heavy you need to be fully amped up. Hearing that in the background is going to take a rep maybe two off what you can get. It's no coincidence alot of strongmen and powerlifters listen to what they listen to

I'm the opposite to that, to be honest. Normal training, I don't get very amped up at all. Try to keep on an even keel and bring the anger to game day instead. It doesn't mean I don't hit a heavy training lift with intent.

I'm the opposite to that, to be honest. Normal training, I don't get very amped up at all. Try to keep on an even keel and bring the anger to game day instead. It doesn't mean I don't hit a heavy training lift with intent.

That's interesting to hear, it's like the Russian approach. I was spinning my wheels literally for years until I found my inner Captain Angry and it was only then that I was able to get the extra couple of reps/kgs from one session to the next

That's interesting to hear, it's like the Russian approach. I was spinning my wheels literally for years until I found my inner Captain Angry and it was only then that I was able to get the extra couple of reps/kgs from one session to the next

I think of it a bit like caffeine. If you listen to heavy music all the time, it won't have the same impact when you most want it to.

If you keep relatively calm during your training and then listen to something angry at a meet, then you can bring the violence to bear on the bar with greater effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I've been watching the Adam Thrall video on Deadlifts :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc

Good reminder.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I've been watching the Adam Thrall video on Deadlifts :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc

Good reminder.

Alan's very much a Starting Strength disciple now.

That said, I still like 99.9% of his work.

• Advertisement

All of the above. Make sure your shoulders are in line with the bar if they're not already.

I'd usually listen to metal TBH. But couldn't for those lifts above cause the music was on my phone and my phone was out recording me.
    Mind you it's not always metal either. But the crap they play in my gym would make me wear earplugs if my music wasn't available. Silence can be golden sometimes

I think of it a bit like caffeine. If you listen to heavy music all the time, it won't have the same impact when you most want it to.

If you keep relatively calm during your training and then listen to something angry at a meet, then you can bring the violence to bear on the bar with greater effect.

Yeah I used to be calm when lifting but after a long long period of stagnation it was only when I got wound up that things got going again.

That said it's not like I'm putting white chalk warpaint on my face punching people on my way to the rack and screaming at the weights but when it's the last rep or two of a bloody heavy set (which is naturally all relative) if I'm not wound up, at best I MIGHT match what I did last time or last time I used that weight.
    Christian Thibbidydo talked on a podcast lately about different types of training suiting different people and personality types and maybe it relates to that. It was the same when I played football, unless I was wound up I was literally physically and mentally slower.
    I get what you mean with the caffeine analogy but the difference is this is a well that I can go back to every week and never runs dry.
    It could also be that I'm just lazy and need a boot in the hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'm generally pretty calm in this gym, listening to Jordan Peterson podcasts at the minute which may seem a little strange for the gym.

Beats the constant fm104 that plays over the speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Those floors they put in Flyefit are ageing really badly. Getting real tired of dumbells rolling off on a little adventure. Dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Nothing to add here other than to point out every time I log in to this Forum, this thread title cracks me the f*ck up :D:D:D

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Nothing to add here other than to point out every time I log in to this Forum, this thread title cracks me the f*ck up :D:D:D

You are welcome.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are welcome.
    *ahem*

Mellor wrote: »
    *ahem*

The creative process was collaborative. But I created the bleeding thread.

I also added "feat. Nate Dogg"

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The creative process was collaborative. But I created the bleeding thread.
    Says started by me...just saying
    I also added "feat. Nate Dogg"
    That's true. Reminds me in the Marshal Mathers LP everytime I open it.

Ok, it was collaborative. We're the best, the rest of the losers have a few thousands posts to get thinking.

Mellor wrote: »
    Says started by me...just saying

Don't tempt me. I pasted in some posts on the last OT to annoy Hanley because he thought he was first to post.

That's true. Reminds me in the Marshal Mathers LP everytime I open it.

Ok, it was collaborative. We're the best, the rest of the losers have a few thousands posts to get thinking.

We are the best.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Any reccomendations for decent lifting straps. The ones I have now leave a red ring around my wrists and I look like I was being help captive for a week

Any reccomendations for decent lifting straps. The ones I have now leave a red ring around my wrists and I look like I was being help captive for a week

That doesn't mean the ones you have aren't decent.

It just means you've done a lot of washing up with Fairy liquid and you should be proud of being a modern man.

But I've a pair like this. The part over the wrist is padded. The little dots are for grip for where your hands are holding the straps.

That doesn't mean the ones you have aren't decent.

It just means you've done a lot of washing up with Fairy liquid and you should be proud of being a modern man.

But I've a pair like this. The part over the wrist is padded. The little dots are for grip for where your hands are holding the straps.

Ha I'm far from being a modern man. Although I do use fairy.
    Ye I have the same brand as you but just a very basic version of them. Mine is just the bare strap. Time to upgrade I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

If you have super girly teeny wrists I found those ones with the padding sometimes don't fit tightly enough around your wrist (depending on how long the padded piece is), so I had to rip the padding off to allow me to pull them tighter.

I know the better solution was wrist gainz but I've no patience.

Probably won't affect you though :D:D

If you have super girly teeny wrists I found those ones with the padding sometimes don't fit tightly enough around your wrist (depending on how long the padded piece is), so I had to rip the padding off to allow me to pull them tighter.

I know the better solution was wrist gainz but I've no patience.

Probably won't affect you though :D:D

Ye I'm ok I've wrists like tree trunks. Ha no!

Just got myself some sbd knee sleeves. They're pretty easy to get on and from hearing other saying there difficult makes me believe I bought a pair too big. How tight should they be? Atm they're tight, comfortable but not holy shjte tight

Just got myself some sbd knee sleeves. They're pretty easy to get on and from hearing other saying there difficult makes me believe I bought a pair too big. How tight should they be? Atm they're tight, comfortable but not holy shjte tight

If it took a little effort to get them on, you're probably alright.

If it took a little effort to get them on, you're probably alright.

A little. They didn't exactly slide on but I certainly didn't use much force pulling them up either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

To get mine on it's like another workout !!! I have a pair of looser ones I use mostly up until heavy sets .

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    To get mine on it's like another workout !!! I have a pair of looser ones I use mostly up until heavy sets .

Lovely. I think I'll buy a smaller pair and keep the big ones for when my legs grown massive and then the sleeves become tighter

Advertisement