Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Either the tacos or the tonta. I think it's called to tonta anyway. Just be sure to use their sauces they have. Amazing.

Torta? Spanish for cake but Mexican for sambo.

I was more enquiring about their fillings.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Brian? wrote: »
    Torta? Spanish for cake but Mexican for sambo.

I was more enquiring about their fillings.

Ah ye torta. I keep making that mistake. Well I'd recommend the pulled pork anyway. I'm not actually sure about the fillings... I think the torta has an egg, some guacamole, bit of red onion, cilantro... but I could be wrong on that. Check out their facebook page.

I think I'll have some rocky road.
    I really want another of the m&s chocolate fudge gf cake but after polishing off one last weekend i might take it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I thought it would taste nicer, and I have been trying to go more flexiterian, seek out alternatives where possible and see how I get on :o

That's good for you, trying to cut down on meat isn't a bad thing. But I must warn you, pea protein is notoriously vile, I have only read horrible reviews of it here.

The only thing I can suggest instead of what you're already doing is trying like a sweetener thing, like MyPRotein FlavDrops, you can just add them (vanilla is my fave) + your yucky pea protein + some yummy nut milk (cashew is my fave) and you'll have a nice shake. It'd be a shame to throw it away :(

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think I'll have some rocky road.
    I really want another of the m&s chocolate fudge gf cake but after polishing off one last weekend i might take it easy

Rocky road ye say? Sell it to me.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

That's good for you, trying to cut down on meat isn't a bad thing.

Excuse me?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Excuse me?

I know, it kills me to write it! Do you want me to up my meat consumption to compensate for the advice?

I know, it kills me to write it! Do you want me to up my meat consumption to compensate for the advice?

Quite frankly, yes. Any time you type advice like that you should eat a packet of ham

they/them/theirs

Rocky road ye say? Sell it to me.
    No it's all mine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

My shoulders are very tight and slightly rounding after a week of testing maxes. I am incorporating dumbell flyes and using a band to do some stretching. Is there anything else you would suggest for upper back shoulders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,834 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

My shoulders are very tight and slightly rounding after a week of testing maxes. I am incorporating dumbell flyes and using a band to do some stretching. Is there anything else you would suggest for upper back shoulders?

Face pulls and shrugs and rev cable flyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Face pulls and shrugs and rev cable flyes

OP if your shoulders are tight do some rolling/soft tissue work on the pecs/lats/triceps then stretch them out good and proper then do your shoulder stability work eg. lots of row variations, facepulls as mentioned above but would avoid shrugs as tight traps can elevate the scapula and that could exacerbate your shoulder problems.

Three of my fav. go to's are

- Batwings
    - Inverted Shrugs
    - Band Pullaparts
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Talk about $hittin myself, a lad in the gym asked my to spot him on a couple of singles as he was getting back into heavy squatting.
    In fairness if anything went wrong as he did 170 x 1 and 180 x 1 there would be absolutely nothing I be able to do for him (we were on a platform, no safety bars)
    I felt like I was about to star in a gym fail clip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Talk about $hittin myself, a lad in the gym asked my to spot him on a couple of singles as he was getting back into heavy squatting.
    In fairness if anything went wrong as he did 170 x 1 and 180 x 1 there would be absolutely nothing I be able to do for him (we were on a platform, no safety bars)

Once you're not wearing white shorts, you'll be ok.

Well, apart from all of the physical injuries.

About 5 mins of core exercises, doms for 2 days. Things are definitely worse than i thought :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Should you have just said no, you would like to but not comfortable spotting at that weight?

bluewolf wrote: »
    About 5 mins of core exercises, doms for 2 days. Things are definitely worse than i thought :pac:

Them ab DOMS are unpleasant.

They make you not want to be in bed.

I was asked to spot a heavy bench, I said I was unsure that was a good idea, he just said 'sure it's pscychological anyway'. He survived.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/losing-fat-gaining-muscle-with-my-not-so-scary-personal-trainer-1.3105587

I have "“gym brain block” after drinking strawberry whey. Considering she threw up last week she is doing well, although her personal trainer sounds a bit snarky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I was asked to spot a heavy bench, I said I was unsure that was a good idea, he just said 'sure it's pscychological anyway'. He survived.

I've been asked to spot a few heavy benches where I've agreed before I've seen the weight involved, but been too awkward to say "actually, no". Only needed to intervene twice and luckily, nobody died.

The way I see it is that anybody who can bench 120kg+ knows that they can't expect someone to pick it off their chest and know that the spotter will only be capable of taking up to half the weight in slack. But if something catastrophic happens like an elbow/shoulder imploding, ain't nothing I'd be able to do about that.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/losing-fat-gaining-muscle-with-my-not-so-scary-personal-trainer-1.3105587

I have "?gym brain block? after drinking strawberry whey. Considering she threw up last week she is doing well, although her personal trainer sounds a bit snarky.
    I wonder if she does have a fiancee or doesn't know the difference between the two

Eta: I wonder why my phone doesn't like the accent. Fiancée

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I've been asked to spot a few heavy benches where I've agreed before I've seen the weight involved, but been too awkward to say "actually, no". Only needed to intervene twice and luckily, nobody died.

The way I see it is that anybody who can bench 120kg+ knows that they can't expect someone to pick it off their chest and know that the spotter will only be capable of taking up to half the weight in slack. But if something catastrophic happens like an elbow/shoulder imploding, ain't nothing I'd be able to do about that.

Anyone benching any decent weight knows what to expect from a spotter; a bit of help but not to take the whole thing. I.e if they drop it on their chest and you have to grab it, they're gonna help you lift it off them. I'm not particularly strong but I've had no issues spotting people on 150+ max efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭testtech05

OK so firstly I want to apologise for the long winded nature of the story. I'm a long time follower of Hanleys mails and training programs and always read the daily emails from him but unfortunately I have never had the chance to train in RevFit as I am based down in the west of the country but I have noticed a funny/worrying trend lately that is indirectly related to Hanley.

There is a gym down here close to where I work which Hanley gave a seminar in 1 day a couple of years ago, this same gym has recently changed from a commercial style to a more 1 to 1 or group PT orientated approach. (All pretty boring so far I know but bare with me.)

I am on the mailing list for both Gyms so today I get an email from both 1st from Hanley @ 9am titled "Do These 3 Things To Tone Up & Lose Weight Before Summer's Out" and secondly from the local gym @ 11:30am titled "3 Ways to lose weight this summer". I thought surely a coincidence given the topic and time of year etc but when I went on to read the mails large parts of Hanleys mail are just copied and pasted into the one from my local guy, the rest just changed slightly. There have been similar mails before where I have gotten a biut of deja vu from reading them but never as blatant as today.

I am just wondering if anyone else thinks there is something wrong with this or am I just overreacting, maybe there is a link between the 2 gyms that I am unaware of as this particular local gym is not where I go. Just looking forward to some opinions on it and as Hanley was involved this seemed like the best place for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

In some actually off topic news. There's 4kg of brisket in my fridge. It's going to be one hell of a weekend.

How was the brisket? What wood did you use for smoke?

One of the best ways to have beef. Cheap as fcuk to.

€9/kg or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

testtech05 wrote: »
    OK so firstly I want to apologise for the long winded nature of the story. I'm a long time follower of Hanleys mails and training programs and always read the daily emails from him but unfortunately I have never had the chance to train in RevFit as I am based down in the west of the country but I have noticed a funny/worrying trend lately that is indirectly related to Hanley.

There is a gym down here close to where I work which Hanley gave a seminar in 1 day a couple of years ago, this same gym has recently changed from a commercial style to a more 1 to 1 or group PT orientated approach. (All pretty boring so far I know but bare with me.)

I am on the mailing list for both Gyms so today I get an email from both 1st from Hanley @ 9am titled "Do These 3 Things To Tone Up & Lose Weight Before Summer's Out" and secondly from the local gym @ 11:30am titled "3 Ways to lose weight this summer". I thought surely a coincidence given the topic and time of year etc but when I went on to read the mails large parts of Hanleys mail are just copied and pasted into the one from my local guy, the rest just changed slightly. There have been similar mails before where I have gotten a biut of deja vu from reading them but never as blatant as today.

I am just wondering if anyone else thinks there is something wrong with this or am I just overreacting, maybe there is a link between the 2 gyms that I am unaware of as this particular local gym is not where I go. Just looking forward to some opinions on it and as Hanley was involved this seemed like the best place for it!

Welcome to the fitness industry

testtech05 wrote: »

IIRC, the guy running the gym out west was a friend of Hanley's. Maybe they collaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

IIRC, the guy running the gym out west was a friend of Hanley's. Maybe they collaborate.

There's two gyms up this way that I know of that he would be friendly with the owners of.
    The info might feel a bit second hand when you see it like that but after a few years you see that it's largely all the same stuff that's out there anyway.

ford2600 wrote: »
    How was the brisket? What wood did you use for smoke?

One of the best ways to have beef. Cheap as fcuk to.

€9/kg or so?

Tasty as bejaysus. I used hickory.

Cost me €7 a kg. Dirt cheap.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Cost me €7 a kg. Dirt cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyjrUAimzZg

That you at 3.20...

Looks pretty similar. Used Applewood.

That is cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cost me ?7 a kg. Dirt cheap.

I thought you meant the hickory at first!, I got hickory in dealz 2years ago 400g for 1.50, not sure if it is there now.

woodies are charing ?9.99 for 700g :eek:

http://www.woodies.ie/weber-wood-chips-hickory-842644

Advertisement