Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

will56 wrote: »
    Following on from the Adidas sale post I found these on Amazon the other day :-)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M495XQ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Arrived yesterday, hoping to break them in tonight.
    Quick question on sizing - Is it okay if your big toe is touching the front of the shoe ?
    I imagine these will soften a bit with use so didn't want to size up
    I find Adidas trainers narrow so I think that might have something to do with it ?

Yeah, mine does on one foot (because I'm a freak/monster with one foot slightly longer than the other).

They're not going to be as comfortable as trainers or shoes because you want them to be a close fit so your foot doesn't move about in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Yeah, mine does on one foot (because I'm a freak/monster with one foot slightly longer than the other).

They're not going to be as comfortable as trainers or shoes because you want them to be a close fit so your foot doesn't move about in it.

They're def snug on the width just wasn't sure on the length of them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm in the recovery room after my knee op. Off my chops on morphine. Ask me anything.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I'm in the recovery room after my knee op. Off my chops on morphine. Ask me anything.

Why don't you like easi singles you monster

bluewolf wrote: »
    Why don't you like easi singles you monster

Because they have the texture of slightly warm plastic. They taste like salty plastic.

I'm an odd curmudgeon.

I don't buy any pre sliced or grated cheese. I really don't understand why I'd pay someone to grate my cheese for me.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Does looking at a picture of the sun hurt your eyes?

What is the macro breakdown of a booger?

Does burning a Jesus-shaped waffle condemn you to hell?

Does looking at a picture of the sun hurt your eyes?

What is the macro breakdown of a booger?

Does burning a Jesus-shaped waffle condemn you to hell?

Yes.

90% carbs.

No. The loss of a waffle is punishment enough.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Brian? wrote:

U k hun?

Wat ya wearin?

VW 1 wrote: »
    U k hun?

Wat ya wearin?

No

Paper underpants. Tashty.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote:
    No

Inbox me x

• Advertisement

VW 1 wrote: »
    Inbox me x

No thanks. I'm married

they/them/theirs

Would you rather be a Jesus-shaped waffle or a waffle-shaped Jesus?

Watching some of the IPF worlds at the moment. I've noticed a few Irish lifters squat with a really narrow grip and the bar further down their back. I think it might be to do with some Irish coaches (including a certain former poster) and their IPF training, but it looks horribly uncomfortable to me. My wrists and elbows hurt just looking at it.

Has anyone here tried squatting with that form?

Watching some of the IPF worlds at the moment. I've noticed a few Irish lifters squat with a really narrow grip and the bar further down their back. I think it might be to do with some Irish coaches (including a certain former poster) and their IPF training, but it looks horribly uncomfortable to me. My wrists and elbows hurt just looking at it.

Your ban awaits.

I used have a narrow enough grip but I'm not sure if it meant the bar was any further down my back.

He got me to squat with it further up my back. I was too bent over and wobbly with it too low

Would you rather be a Jesus-shaped waffle or a waffle-shaped Jesus?

A waffle shaped Jesus. That's too easy.

they/them/theirs

A waffle shaped Jesus. That's too easy.

But as a Jesus-shaped waffle, you'd be brought on a world tour by the boss of the catlicks as some sort of miracle.

I would have been moved from a high bar squat with wider grip to a low bar squat by said former poster and find it much more comfortable.

There was no instruction on grip, but I find it most comfortable with my ring fingers sitting on the inner rings on the bar. Its all relative I guess.

Watch the M1 66kg deadlifts and in particular, the 3rd lift from Lewis Noppers. 4.1x bodyweight deadlift. Less than 4.1x bodyweight after the deadlift.

But as a Jesus-shaped waffle, you'd be brought on a world tour by the boss of the catlicks as some sort of miracle.

If I was Jesus There'd be less danger of being eaten.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

If I was Jesus There'd be less danger of being eaten.

Yeah because they never eat 'the body of Christ' ever.

Yeah because they never eat 'the body of Christ' ever.

They don't. The just buy into a mass delusion.

they/them/theirs

They don't. The just buy into a mass delusion.

That's the drugs talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

That's the drugs talking.

I knew Jesus was a juicer.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I knew Jesus was a juicer.

Just in the New Chestament.

Eleiko as a business started off making waffle irons and toasters. You learn something new every day.

Eleiko as a business started off making waffle irons and toasters. You learn something new every day.

They still make cheese graters that weigh 20kg and can be used as bars in competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,834 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

They still make cheese graters that weigh 20kg and can be used as bars in competition.

They make shin graters too

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

I squat like that, low bar, narrow thumbless grip. Your shoulders are tight for a few weeks of it but they loosen up. Very comfortable after that.

• Advertisement

H****y is watching you...

The question was;

I feel like this poster had just seen Paul (66kg male) and Helen / Karen (72kg females) lifting. As a lighter male, and because the ladies are well... ladies... you'll tend to see much greater mobility thru the shoulders.

Which, all things being equal, means they can carry the bar lower on their shoudlers when squatting. As a result the length of the lever (fulcrum / hips to the bar) is shorter, which means more force can be applied.

As a result - more weight gets lifted.

(apologies if I butchered any physics there)

It's funny, because at the IPF coaching course we were advised to do the exact opposite of that. There is absolutely no doubt that a low bar position, which is used very commonly in powerlifting, is a much stronger position. BUT as the poster correctly pointed out, it can be very tough on the shoulders and wrists.

Because it's stronger, you get to lift more weight. You also get away with more technique slip ups.

A "high bar" position (like 90% of the gym population use) forces you to stay very upright on squats and will punish you hard if you lean forward too much. That means your legs MUST get stronger and you can't rely on your back to save you.

A lot of your training, if you're a powerlifter, especially during the off season, should be done that way. Then, as competition approaches you move back towards a lower bar / competition position.

Having a higher bar position earlier in your training cycle will also preserve your shoulders and elbows for more bench pressing, and your lower back for more deadlifting.

Advertisement