Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,633 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

From beyond the grave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

From beyond the grave!

That's what made the Facebook video so spooky

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I squat like that, low bar, narrow thumbless grip. Your shoulders are tight for a few weeks of it but they loosen up. Very comfortable after that.

Isn't that how everyone should squat. Am I missing something here?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Brian? wrote: »

I would've thought it was pretty much self evident to any intermediate lifter. Much the same way you know a max deficit deadlift is less than a conventional deadlift max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,575 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd imagine everyone who competes in powerlifting does, or should.

But outside of that. I'm not sure if it matters or not. Ive been sticking to high bar for a while now. Might switch back to low bar soon. But not sure if there's a benefit

• Advertisement

Narrow and low bar the closer to the competition but it's sensible to reduce the toll on shoulders and elbows by going high bar etc fot a while further out from comp.

As an aside, I don't see all that many in comp that have a thumbless grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

As an aside, I don't see all that many in comp that have a thumbless grip.

Really? Weird. I never looked out for it but figured it would be the norm. Takes stress away from the wrist AFAIK.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Really? Weird. I never looked out for it but figured it would be the norm. Takes stress away from the wrist AFAIK.

Yeah no doubt it does. I find myself looking at how other people set up, out of curiosity.

I should qualify that: the majority of people whose grips I've looked at have thumbs around the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I go thumbless but mostly cos my wrists are bollocksed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Lidl in Sligo is selling the zero calorie white cans of monster for 1.50
    or 2 for 2 euro.

Not sure if it's a nationwide lidl sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

So a quick etiquette check regarding the TRX...

In the gym there is a wide cable crossover machine with a station on each side, pull up bars in the middle and the very short yellow TRX strap is wrapped around the top of the station, a bit to the left of the pull up bars. It’s left there permanently I think as it can be tricky to put up for shorter people.

The station is wide enough that you can use both cable ends whilst using the TRX or I have even used the TRX for rows at the same time as somebody doing cable crossovers with both sides simultaneously (once they are facing away from you and you are leaning out the other way it’s fine).

I will often just hop in to do a quick set of TRX rows if it is free in between other exercises, totally maybe 8-10 sets over the session e.g. Today I did a couple between sets of DL, a couple of sets between sets of bench, and a couple of guys were using one of the ends of the cable machine at the same time. No problem at all.

So I was then doing seated OHP and a guy who had been using one of the cables came and stood over me and waited for me to finish my set. Then he said to me (“no excuse me”, “do you mind etc.”) “Aren’t you meant to do something with the row?” pointing over to the TRX. I was a bit surprised at this to be honest as the TRX is so popular that it is pretty much left up a lot of the time from what I can see (people can still use the cables, do pull ups etc. with it clipped on and I have even seen some people who do find it gets in the way just throw the handles over the top of the station rather than unclip it). The short yellow strap on the bar is always there, so you just clip the handles on and off exactly like a cable attachment and the handle strap is just left on the ground beside it (there’s no press etc for it). I have never so much as left a single plate on a bar, or not put a DB back in the right place but I don’t see anything wrong with leaving the TRX up? Especially as I was planning to hop in for another couple of sets before the end of my session.

Anyway, I said to him “sure, no problem I will take it down” and walked over to the other side of the gym, literally unclipped the carabiner clip and put the handles on the ground. He then said “ridiculous” under his breath as if my etiquette in leaving it up was shameful. I was a bit embarassed and upset tbh. I mean I would never have an issue with unclipping a cable attachment somebody had left up which to me is pretty similar, and a bit later he went to do sit ups on the lat pull down opposite me and he took down the rope attachment which was hanging on the machine but he didn’t run after the guy who had left it up there to take it down for him!

So tl;dr.
    Should I unclip the TRX between sets if I am going to be hopping in and out at various times (even if it is not getting in anyone’s way)? And is it ok to leave cable attachments clipped on or should you really remove them after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,833 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

He's basically a bully. A kick in the balls wouldn't go astray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I have often had a go at lads for leaving bars loaded and just walking off, it drives me up the wall, but I would always ask first if they were finished with it before giving them any ****.

But tbh I would probably not do the same thing with a female, even if she was in the wrong.

Which you weren't.

A) it's a cable attachment that doesn't require others to remove it in order to use the equipment, and B) you weren't finished with it.

Your man was out of order.

You weren't even finished with it! Tell your man to do one!
    Some people come in in a bad mood and just take it out on whomever. It's like your man roaring at me for daring the use the lat pulldown machine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Most people squat high bar I would say. That's just based on my observations training in commercial gyms, no real evidence.
    As for 'should', I don't think it matters if you're not planning on competing in the squat

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Most people squat high bar I would say. That's just based on my observations training in commercial gyms, no real evidence.
    As for 'should', I don't think it matters if you're not planning on competing in the squat

Hmmm. I see plenty of low bar squatting. Most people I see doing high bar squats are generally making a hames of squatting. It could be my own inherent bias.

I think everyone should squat low bar. You can move more weight. More weight is good.

There's several massive holes in the above opinion. Please don't expose them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Powerlifting facist :)
    I squat low bar and think it's better but depends on your goals. A bodybuilder wanting to focus on his quads will prefer high bar which will avoid more leaning and hence use less hip drive and back

Thanks guys - feel much better now, reassuring to know I probably haven't been p*ssing off half the gym users with my TRX/cable etiquette the past few years!

I haven't low bar squatted in yonks. I started off low bar but after a while "discovered" high bar and never looked back - when I (hopefully) get back squatting again I might try low bar again for a while just to see, but I find my form definitely improved when I went to HB.

I definitely see a lot of people LB squatting in my gym (commercial), probably more than HB at a guess.

I don't know if people are hb or lb in my gym, if i see them at all i look at their feet and depth

• Advertisement

Sale on adidas.ie today. Up to 50% off some stuff. Powerlift 3s have 30% off.

Good call....

Because I'm worth it*

* may not be true

Wtf are they doing selling Power Perfects at €120?! Adipowers are cheaper than that now!

Wtf are they doing selling Power Perfects at €120?! Adipowers are cheaper than that now!

Where can you get adipowers for < €120? Please share :D

Though I do prefer the colour of the powerlifts which is the most important thing obvs.

I prefer Powerlifts over the others for the lower heel.

I prefer Powerlifts over the others for the lower heel.

Oh, that's good to know - thanks, especially as it would be my first foray into shoes so lower would probably be a good place to start anyway

*& prettier colours

Oh, that's good to know - thanks

To add to the giving, yer man was a co*k.

Though I do prefer the colour of the powerlifts which is the most important thing obvs.

Ah ya can't really. Pretty sure D8 were doing them for €130 a while back though. But seriously, I got my PPs 5 years ago for €105. €120 for them now is taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,833 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I read a small article in the paper today about 2 Irish nurses , Norma caples and Emma Cronin they won an award at the Euroheartcare conference Sweden for research on the dangers and damage to the cardiovascular system when using protein supplements. Of course when I went to read more online or look for the actual research study I could find almost zero about it. Has anybody else heard of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Amazon have the black/red adipowers for £90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I feel much tighter and like i can move a lot more weight low bar but for whatever reason i really struggle to hit parallel with low bar. I really have to force myself down the last couple of inches. It also kills my wrists even with wraps so i generally just stick to high bar

Advertisement