Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I read a small article in the paper today about 2 Irish nurses , Norma caples and Emma Cronin they won an award at the Euroheartcare conference Sweden for research on the dangers and damage to the cardiovascular system when using protein supplements. Of course when I went to read more online or look for the actual research study I could find almost zero about it. Has anybody else heard of this?

I couldn't find anything either. It's too early for the proceedings to be out I imagine, but I couldn't even see it on the programme. Perhaps it was an award for funding for a forthcoming/ongoing study or something (just clutching at straws!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,833 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I couldn't find anything either. It's too early for the proceedings to be out I imagine, but I couldn't even see it on the programme. Perhaps it was an award for funding for a forthcoming/ongoing study or something (just clutching at straws!)

Not sure. It said they did a study on a bodybuilder and how it affected him. That's only one test subject but it got me wondering all the same. Maybe they're on to something but it's impossible to tell without reading the study

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Not sure. It said they did a study on a bodybuilder and how it affected him. That's only one test subject but it got me wondering all the same. Maybe they're on to something but it's impossible to tell without reading the study

If their sample was only one then that shows how silly the whole pressure to publish paradigm has gotten in science.

If their sample was only one then that shows how silly the whole pressure to publish paradigm has gotten in science.

See I don't know how many was actually in the study or much more about it. Hopefully it'll be published soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

One study I'd love to see done would be on peak blood pressure levels in powerlifters and any possible effects on resting blood pressure, cardiovascular health etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's an element of that but there's also an element of demonstrating some validity in a theory in order to leverage more funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The new* floors in Flyefit are ageing very poorly. I am completely sick of putting down a dumbbell and watching it roll off on its own little adventure. I actually had one of the tiles dip so much beneath me while carrying a pair of dumbbells that I almost tripped.

A stable floor can't be that much to ask for, can it?

* I say new but they're probably at least a year old now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Speaking of gym flooring

Elverys have a good deal on gym flooring, 1m x 1m x 15 mm for 20 euro.

Free delivery over 50 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Anyone watching IPF...

Colin Eustace moving well there.

Kenneth with the unpronounceable second name also lifting serious numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,633 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Colin Eustace moving well there.

"Ah yeah, sure I'll just pick up 282.5kg and make it easy to piss everyone off, sure"

• Advertisement

"Ah yeah, sure I'll just pick up 282.5kg and make it easy to piss everyone off, sure"

I spoke too soon. What are these lads on. 22-23 years old and making 265kg look like nothing. Openers like :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

I spoke too soon. What are these lads on. 22-23 years old and making 265kg look like nothing. Openers like :eek::eek:

Remember 'drug tested' ain't the same as 'drug free' ... all the same some serious lifting. A 110kg bench from a 52kg subjunior female

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,575 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I got "invited" to try out a new type of protein my supplier has been working on. Normally I just ignore these as marketing bollox. But this one is has grabbed my interest tbh.

• Fat free, Sugar/Carb Free (if you're into that sort of thing)
    • 12% Higher in BCAAs compared to Isolate
    • Dairy, lactose and whey free.
    • It's (supposedly) not creamy/milky like whey or similar proteins. So it'll come in lemonade and cola flavours. Mix with water, or even soda water if you want bubbles.

I'm not gonna lie, it was the last one that got my interest. I love a Coke Zero/Pepsi Max after a intense raining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Mellor wrote:
    I got "invited" to try out a new type of protein my supplier has been working on. Normally I just ignore these as marketing bollox. But this one is has grabbed my interest tbh.

This sounds like it's just water...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Blacktie. wrote: »

Protein water.

I like the protein water bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

That's not an invitation...you're being groomed

Mellor wrote: »

• Fat free, Sugar/Carb Free (if you're into that sort of thing)
    • 12% Higher in BCAAs compared to Isolate
    • Dairy, lactose and whey free.
    • It's (supposedly) not creamy/milky like whey or similar proteins. So it'll come in lemonade and cola flavours. Mix with water, or even soda water if you want bubbles.

I'm not gonna lie, it was the last one that got my interest. I love a Coke Zero/Pepsi Max after a intense raining

I doubt they'll get the flavour anywhere close to coke or the Pepsi formula. And I don't by you're being serious either :)

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Not sure in serious, but in case you are. There's no protein in water. The above is 90% protein. Sounds like a cross between isolate and amimos to me.
    I doubt they'll get the flavour anywhere close to coke or the Pepsi formula. And I don't by you're being serious either :)
    I doubt they will either. But that's fine. If I want perfect Coke flavour, I could buy a Coke.
    Also, why don't you think Im serious? I honestly am. I something's find a milky protein shake a bit meh after training/warm days. The above sounds better for then, or even sipping during training.
    Free sample ordered anyway.

Mellor wrote: »
    Not sure in serious, but in case you are. There's no protein in water. The above is 90% protein. Sounds like a cross between isolate and amimos to me.

I doubt they will either. But that's fine. If I want perfect Coke flavour, I could buy a Coke.
    Also, why don't you think Im serious? I honestly am. I something's find a milky protein shake a bit meh after training/warm days. The above sounds better for then, or even sipping during training.
    Free sample ordered anyway.

My bad. Guess I'm too used to seeing guys drinking standard protein shakes after a workout.

• Advertisement

My bad. Guess I'm too used to seeing guys drinking standard protein shakes after a workout.
    I wouldnt drink many protein shakes in general. I usually just have lunch.
    But lately I've been doing double sessions. Gonna start bring something for inbetween

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I was. I mean I know it's not water but these seem like pretty out there claims. Even breaking the protein into just aminos makes it taste like crap. And no fat, sugar or dairy.... I just dono how they'd do it.

The sugar, fat, etc in regular protein comes from the milk, not the protein themselves. So if you could isolate proteins from other source, they'd be sorted. I think that carnivore beef protein isolate is fat/sugar/dairy free.

The one I mentioned above is 90% protein, maybe the 10% is all flavour to mask the animos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 roreilly123

Anyone know what time flyefit is usually the quietest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

3am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

early morning, late at night I suspect like most gyms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

cloudatlas wrote: »
    early morning, late at night I suspect like most gyms.

Surely early morning would be packed with office workers and stuff no? Unless by early you mean very, very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Surely early morning would be packed with office workers and stuff no? Unless by early you mean very, very early.

My gym is quite quiet at 7.15 but it's a uni and a commerical gym, I suppose the majority of the clientele are students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Google suggests middle of the night

• Advertisement

I was in Macken St last night and by half 9 it was noticeably quieter.

Advertisement