Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

I used to train at 7:30-8:30 in macken street. It was moderately busy but not packed. People struggle to train early consistently.
    Early or late lunch was ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

That was 2 years ago btw so not up to date info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

In my gym it's usually busy in the early morning, then it dies for a bit, picks up around lunchtime, dies, then it escalates from once the secondary schools until like eight. Then it's quiet until closing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sale on adidas.ie today. Up to 50% off some stuff. Powerlift 3s have 30% off.

Powerlifts arrived today.

Jesus...they are bright. The image online doesn't really convey just how bright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,633 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I resisted the temptation because my PL2s are still in pretty good nick. However, they are boring looking and I'd prefer something woefully bright... but they're still 30% off... and I got paid today... AAAAGH!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Powerlifts arrived today.

Jesus...they are bright. The image online doesn't really convey just how bright.

What'll you be wearing the Powerlifts for? I know they're not strictly a WL shoe special probably not squats, oli lifts etc. Are they are general use gym shoe? They're so pretty...

I resisted the temptation because my PL2s are still in pretty good nick. However, they are boring looking and I'd prefer something woefully bright... but they're still 30% off... and I got paid today... AAAAGH!!!

I have 2 pairs of PL2s that are well looked after.

So I bought a third pair because SHINY THINGS!

What'll you be wearing the Powerlifts for? I know they're not strictly a WL shoe special probably not squats, oli lifts etc. Are they are general use gym shoe? They're so pretty...

Squats.

I think Adidas pitch them as more general use, like circuit training, but they're certainly solid enough for squatting and the heel height works better for me than the 0.75" heels of the PP2s or Adipowers.

They feel less rigid from mid-foot to toe, which you only notice when walking, but they're not so flexible that you'd wear them unless you were squatting during the session.

Squats.

I think Adidas pitch them as more general use, like circuit training, but they're certainly solid enough for squatting and the heel height works better for me than the 0.75" heels of the PP2s or Adipowers.

They feel less rigid from mid-foot to toe, which you only notice when walking, but they're not so flexible that you'd wear them unless you were squatting during the session.

Good to know, thanks!

Good to know, thanks!

I did wonder when I first got them because I got the impression they were more 'all purpose' and for general gym sessions but to be honest, I didn't feel them any less rigid than the PP2s.

The lower heel possibly suits cos I've long femurs and so lean a bit. I didn't expect the drop in heel from 0.75" to 0.6" to make much of a difference but it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

What's people's general experiences with Flyefit? I saw that they're opening one in Drumcondra soon with lifting platforms (and Eleiko bars and bumper plates!) but are their gyms normally decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Can anyone point me in the direction of programs for the rower?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of programs for the rower?

What's the goal? There are different programs for different goals, eg building 500m time, 1000m time etc

What's people's general experiences with Flyefit? I saw that they're opening one in Drumcondra soon with lifting platforms (and Eleiko bars and bumper plates!) but are their gyms normally decent?

For €29/month, they're grand. Awful bars in Macken St but other than that, all good.

What's the goal? There are different programs for different goals, eg building 500m time, 1000m time etc

It's just a finisher for my workout after weights, depending on how much time I have 10-20 minutes.

It's just a finisher for my workout after weights, depending on how much time I have 10-20 minutes.

You could do any number of intervals on it, manipulating time or distance.

For example, one I used to do would be 10 rounds of 30s row, 30s rest. I'd set a minimum distance to cover in the 30s so as I had to push it.

Or 250m intervals with 60s rest between, but each week, you'd drop the rest period by 5s so the next week would be 250m interval with 55s rest.

Pyramids as well...250m - 500m - 750m - 1000m - 750m - 500m - 250m....that would take 20-25 mins

There are loads of different ways of doing it and you can build in a progression by manipulating times for intervals, rest etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4 roreilly123

Are the gym introductions worth it in flyefit, anyone have any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 roreilly123

Are the gym introductions worth it in flyefit, anyone have any experience?

You could do any number of intervals on it, manipulating time or distance.

For example, one I used to do would be 10 rounds of 30s row, 30s rest. I'd set a minimum distance to cover in the 30s so as I had to push it.

Or 250m intervals with 60s rest between, but each week, you'd drop the rest period by 5s so the next week would be 250m interval with 55s rest.

Pyramids as well...250m - 500m - 750m - 1000m - 750m - 500m - 250m....that would take 20-25 mins

There are loads of different ways of doing it and you can build in a progression by manipulating times for intervals, rest etc

Thanks I tried the 30s interval training and found that good. Before I was doing 4 minutes at 24 strokes, 3 minutes at 26, 2 minutes 28 strokes and 1 minute at 30 which can be hard work also.

Thanks I tried the 30s interval training and found that good. Before I was doing 4 minutes at 24 strokes, 3 minutes at 26, 2 minutes 28 strokes and 1 minute at 30 which can be hard work also.

I used set a minimum distance on the 30s intervals to keep it honest and to make sure I couldn't ease off. After a few sessions, I'd start to add intervals

• Advertisement

Are SLDL's meant to be a lot harder than RDL's and if so what sort of ratio is typical?

I've tried googling this but found nothing.

Stiff leg or single leg

That may have been a stupid question

I'd have thought RDLs would have more carryover to weightlifting especially anyway since they erectors work isometrically.

It's a personal thing but I wouldn't fancy loading the SLDL too heavy.

Which is why I need to fix my deadlift...

bluewolf wrote: »
    Stiff leg or single leg

Stiff legged
    I'd have thought RDLs would have more carryover to weightlifting especially anyway since they erectors work isometrically.

It's a personal thing but I wouldn't fancy loading the SLDL too heavy.

Which is why I need to fix my deadlift...

As in just time under tension and good positioning = more gains?

Personally I vary the two, but have been doing more RDL's recently as I find them so much easier, I keep better positioning and I can go heavier/more reps.

I find SLDL's are much harder to maintain a good position off the floor as I have a tendency to lose some tightness at heavy weights. Getting off the floor is always the hard part.

Moreso the positioning because when do you have to bring your erectors from flexion back to neutral. You're always having to work hard to keep it neutral, which is why I would think it has more carryover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Do SLDL's work your muscles much differently?
    Ive only ever done RDL, but I start them from the floor and touch the floor each rep so its more range of motion anyway than most.

RDL's can be loaded so ridiculously heavy that I've never done dumbells because my grip limits me so much(cant hookgrip a dumbell :') )

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Ive only ever done RDL, but I start them from the floor and touch the floor each rep so its more range of motion anyway than most.

RDL's can be loaded so ridiculously heavy that I've never done dumbells because my grip limits me so much(cant hookgrip a dumbell :') )

SLDLs work the erectors dynamically, i.e. the lower back is in flexion at the bottom and RDLs work the erectors isometrically because you maintain a neutral spine throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

EmcD123 wrote: »

I always thought you should not be touching the floor with RDL, so you are keeping tension the whole time/not unloading the weight (if that makes sense). Otherwise it is probably very similar to touch and go normal DLs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I decided to use MyFitnessPal for a cut to make sure I'm hitting my protein goals. Am I crazy or does it look like macro breakdown is premium only? Also, while I have you: I set everything to metric but it's still giving ounces and cups, etc. What's the story there?

Advertisement