Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I always thought you should not be touching the floor with RDL, so you are keeping tension the whole time/not unloading the weight (if that makes sense). Otherwise it is probably very similar to touch and go normal DLs?

Touching the floor is right.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Zillah wrote: »
    I decided to use MyFitnessPal for a cut to make sure I'm hitting my protein goals. Am I crazy or does it look like macro breakdown is premium only? Also, while I have you: I set everything to metric but it's still giving ounces and cups, etc. What's the story there?

If using the app go to the nutrition section to get your macros breakdown. Can also get meal macro breakdowns if you turn your phone to landscape mode I believe.

I assume you mean the units of measurements for ingredients. The units will be whatever the users have entered unfortunately. Most have imperial and metric units though if you click the drop down menu and if it doesn't I go looking for another one that does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Brian? wrote: »

Really? Shows how much I know :D But I imagine a lot of people don't have the mobility to get there (or maybe it's just me :o)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Then what's the difference between SLDL's and RDL's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Blacktie. wrote: »
    If using the app go to the nutrition section to get your macros breakdown. Can also get meal macro breakdowns if you turn your phone to landscape mode I believe.

I assume you mean the units of measurements for ingredients. The units will be whatever the users have entered unfortunately. Most have imperial and metric units though if you click the drop down menu and if it doesn't I go looking for another one that does.

Cool, found it, thanks.

Weird that they would have this section when you tap on "Food":
    XaJYXWY.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not really. It usually means you're bending your knees too much. Hamstring flexibility may also be a factor but if you're maintaining correct back position and not bending your knees too much, the plates will rarely touch the floor.

Then what's the difference between SLDL's and RDL's?

The amount of knee bend:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/RomanianDeadlift.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBStiffLegDeadlift.html

Both should touch the floor. It's a DEAD lift ;).

they/them/theirs

Not really. It usually means you're bending your knees too much. Hamstring flexibility may also be a factor but if you're maintaining correct back position and not bending your knees too much, the plates will rarely touch the floor.

See above. If you haven't the hamstring flexibility to do them without touching the floor with correct form, do them like a rack pull until you get the flexibility.

It's not a deadlift unless it touches the floor. Thems the rules.

they/them/theirs

Quote a fella:
    The Romanian Deadlift allows flexing of the knees during the down phase (descent) and extension of them during the up phase (ascent). In the Straight Back Stiff Legged Deadlift, the knees remain fixed (though not locked) during the exercise

they/them/theirs

See above. If you haven't the hamstring flexibility to do them without touching the floor with correct form, do them like a rack pull until you get the flexibility.

It's not a deadlift unless it touches the floor. Thems the rules.

Strongly disagree. Your knees are straighter throughout an RDL than they are for a deadlift. RDLs can and are performed correctly without the plates touching the floor.

And you don't need it to because an RDL isn't replicating the full deadlift movement pattern.

• Advertisement

Quote a fella:

No one ever said there was no flexing of the knees in an RDL. But there is a point where there's too much knee flexion and it's not really replicating the position you should be in when performing a deadlift correctly, which is ultimately why most people do RDLs.

Nah sorry I disagree. The RDL isn't meant to touch the floor.

RDL's originated from when this romanian weightlitfer was spotted doing them at a training hall and people called them 'Romanian DL's'.

This is an article by Jim Schmitz (pretty famous WL coach from the US) about them.
    Let me tell you how to correctly perform the RDL for those who may not be sure. You grab the bar with your clean grip, pull the bar to the tops of your thighs, but don’t complete the lift: knees are not locked out, chest is out, and back is flat. You then lower the bar to about two inches from the platform, keeping your back perfectly flat or arched and your knees slightly flexed, then you return to the almost erect position—but is very critical here not to fully lock the knees—then repeat.

It's a deadlift variation.

Bret Contreras disagrees.

Bret Contreras > exrx

No one ever said there was no flexing of the knees in an RDL. But there is a point where there's too much knee flexion and it's not really replicating the position you should be in when performing a deadlift correctly, which is ultimately why most people do RDLs.

You seem to be arguing a point I haven't made.

That was an explanation for the difference between an RDL and SLDL someone asked for.

they/them/theirs

It's a deadlift variation.

Bret Contreras disagrees.

Bret Contreras > exrx

Disagree. Feel free to do them however you please.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Both exercises can get fcuked as far as I'm concerned tbcfh.

Both exercises can get fcuked as far as I'm concerned tbcfh.

Why do?

they/them/theirs

Why do?

They're hard.... :(

I swear that RDL's are insane for lower back hypertrophy though. I'm convinced my back has blown up in size since I started doing them regularly.

Even though BB is of little importance to me, they've also helped my positional strength more than regular DL's aswell.

In short, RDL's are ****in class.

They're extremely hard. That's why I do them.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I'm with Nervous Wreck on this one those exercises can fooook off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I quite like RDLs, I just do them a lot lighter than regular deadlifts.

They're extremely hard. That's why I do them.

I do them too, I just hate them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I do them too, I just hate them!

Why though? You get to feel your hamstrings go all weak and wobbly afterwards

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Both of my hamstrings went into a mad spasm doing RDLs one day. The next day I had the worst hamstring DOMs ever. I've never had that with any other muscle. Bizarre carry on.

they/them/theirs

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Yeah I hate doing anything hamstring-related (should definitely be doing more for them tbh) so I'm pretty weak with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

In fairness, hamstring DOMS are up there with core DOMS on the scale of evilness imo.

In fairness, hamstring DOMS are up there with core DOMS on the scale of evilness imo.

Can't beat severe hamstring/glute doms combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Will finally be able to bench press :)
    200 for a solid bench seems pretty decent

Olympic-Bench-3-e1490801573936.jpg

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Will finally be able to bench press :)

Olympic-Bench-3-e1490801573936.jpg

Going on your ohp I'd say you'll do just fine

Advertisement