Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't really like protein bars either. If I'm going to have a bar, I'll have one I like.

Protein shakes are nicer, imo. Not that I have them all that often but I do like the vanilla shake. Lovely mixed in with Greek yoghurt too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I was wondering was it just me or do other people find the taste of protein bars pretty bad? I must have tried all the well known brands at this stage. Some upset my stomach and I can't stand the taste and some just taste bad. Can I ask, are protein shakes better taste wise?

Well it's totally different. Ones a drink and ones a bar. It's down to preference. A chocolate or strawberry whey protein shake made with milk and ice in a blender isn't far off a milkshake you'd get in McDonald's. I find the bars pretty bad too. Rarely eat them

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Protein bars are delicious. They're a waste of money though.
    I buy the odd one in spar, but I don't get the lads buying them by the crate load in the supplement shops.

Weider cookies and cream, or the very chewy Nutranimo Caramel are delish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Those who row, what setting do you put the damper on, I have been putting it at 7. I'm not feeling out of breath out of the work out, my stroke rate has been varying between 24- 31 over 5000 m.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Those who row, what setting do you put the damper on, I have been putting it at 7. I'm not feeling out of breath out of the work out, my stroke rate has been varying between 24- 31 over 5000 m.

I'm not sure the damper setting will matter hugely. If you're rowing within yourself, you won't be out of breath and it may be nothing to do with the damper setting or drag factor.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure the damper setting will matter hugely. If you're rowing within yourself, you won't be out of breath and it may be nothing to do with the damper setting or drag factor.

I suppose having just started out I can't gauge how much I have to reserve to reach the required distance so maybe I should keep my eye on the stroke rate instead. I just don't feel like I'm feeling the same burn that I get from running on the treadmill.

I suppose having just started out I can't gauge how much I have to reserve to reach the required distance so maybe I should keep my eye on the stroke rate instead. I just don't feel like I'm feeling the same burn that I get from running on the treadmill.

Largely because you have a better idea of how to pace yourself on the treadmill so you know what pace you need to be at for certain distances.

Now you have a better gauge of what 5000m feels like and the time it took. But it was too easy so you know there is room for a lot more effort.

One thing is to keep the SR more constant than 24 - 31. Keep it in a much smaller range but that too will come with time as you work out what your pace is to cover 5,000m having put in a proper effort.

I tend to use a combination of the SR and the time/500m as well as just making sure the times across 500m, for example, are consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

flyefit swords now charging for parking.
    they say its not them..assume its the landlord
    but way to go to fcuk off your tenants and their clients.
    cant see how flyefit took the building without details like that being ironed out..

small change (1e per hour) you may argue but will add up over the week for regular users and (for me) eliminate the low-cost as a benefit of flyefit.
    bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

arayess wrote: »
    cant see how flyefit took the building without details like that being ironed out..

small change (1e per hour) you may argue but will add up over the week for regular users and (for me) eliminate the low-cost as a benefit of flyefit.
    bastards.

I'm assuming you'll need to pay for 2 hours to stay 1.5. Starts adding up a fair bit even if you're only going 3 times a week, €24 extra a month for 3x2hr sessions a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

bastards.

Could you not just park in the airside car park? In front of Smyths, Harvey Norman, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

DylanJM wrote: »
    Could you not just park in the airside car park? In front of Smyths, Harvey Norman, etc.

you could but they do clamp for people who stay a while, not sure of the time limit yet.
    doesnt suit some peoples needs also

also i can see airside getting the hump.with a large influx of cars.

hopefully it'll be resolved and landlord sees sense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭The Davestator

you could but they do clamp for people who stay a while, not sure of the time limit yet.
    doesnt suit some peoples needs also

also i can see airside getting the hump.with a large influx of cars.

hopefully it'll be resolved and landlord sees sense...

I cant see them clamping as the time spent in the gym would be the same or less as you might if you were doing a lot of shopping/browsing. They have no way of identifying who is shopping and who is in the gym.

I'd be more annoyed at having to Q to get out of that bloody car park!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

What would one need to spend to get a watch to track sleep? Calories and heart rate etc probably come standard but really want a decent sleep tracker

What would one need to spend to get a watch to track sleep? Calories and heart rate etc probably come standard but really want a decent sleep tracker

Ambitious! Usually when you're new to fatherhood, tracking sleep involves either "I got some sleep" or "I haven't slept since Countdown the other day"

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Haha I suppose 'some' is all I can hope for at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

I started a job that involves a lot of cycling and it's making my legs very weak. I have to eat an extra thousand calories a day to be gaining any kind of weight and it's just not happening right now.

It's very frustrating, I just want to be 90kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Have some shakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Have some shakes.

It really is this simple. When my weight gain plateaued out I started having a litre of milk plus whey aldi readybrek honey and peanut butter every day and I got over 90 kg without being fat for the first time ever

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

You could take a weight gainer. Full of crap but will have the calories and protein you desire.
    I can't recommend one as it's years since I took one. Mammoth was the one I took and did the job at that time in my life

Tom Martin tears a bicep tendon:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWPnE8FldnA/

So how to keep training ticking over in the meantime?

Oh....you know, one-handed 180kg deadlift...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWU4iuCFohZ/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Tom Martin tears a bicep tendon:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWPnE8FldnA/

So how to keep training ticking over in the meantime?

Oh....you know, one-handed 180kg deadlift...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWU4iuCFohZ/

Great way to tear the other one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It is deadmill or dreadmill? Author can't seem to make up her mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,633 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Thinking out loud here. Do injuries like this occur often in tested organisations? Reason I'm asking is because steroids aid muscle recovery but don't little/nothing for ligament/tendon recovery, so wondering if there's any kind of correlation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Thinking out loud here. Do injuries like this occur often in tested organisations? Reason I'm asking is because steroids aid muscle recovery but don't little/nothing for ligament/tendon recovery, so wondering if there's any kind of correlation

I'd say similar injuries occur frequently enough across all sports at the elite level in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I assume you mean the bicep tear, yeah? I reckon it's got nothing really to do with steroid-use as the bicep tear is to do with a technique issue on Tom Martin's part.

Look at his video with Clarence in particular. During his warm-up weights, he pulls the bar so high his arms bend, similar to how they do when doing clean pulls for example, except with mixed-grip his bicep is always going to be more at risk than with hook grip or straps.

I've pointed it out to some guys I trained with before, as they unlock their arms when locking out deadlifts, which can be deadly at really heavy weights, especially if their biceps aren't that strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Anyone see the report on the 6 news about Diabetes? They launched a big report and had the head doctor/author on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

I've pointed it out to some guys I trained with before, as they unlock their arms when locking out deadlifts, which can be deadly at really heavy weights, especially if their biceps aren't that strong.

In my last off season training I was doing high volume deadlifts .. sets of 12 and I did notice towards the end of the set I was bending my elbow on the arm that had the under hand grip. While there was only 160 on the bar I got away with it and stopped immediately .. if there was something heavy on the bar i'd probably have ripped something.

When I am doing reps now I use straps (anything over 5 reps) especially at a higher weight

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

pretty sure i strained my bicep yesterday doing chin ups as felt a little pop doing them and my arm is in bits this morning, cant straighten it or rotate my forearm without a good deal of pain. anyone else done this, physio the best option or just resting it?

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Anyone see the report on the 6 news about Diabetes? They launched a big report and had the head doctor/author on.

Nope, what was the gist of it?

Advertisement