Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    pretty sure i strained my bicep yesterday doing chin ups as felt a little pop doing them and my arm is in bits this morning, cant straighten it or rotate my forearm without a good deal of pain. anyone else done this, physio the best option or just resting it?

Physio and ice.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Walk over to bench at same time as random guy.
    Oh did you want this one, he says.
    Yeah sure, i said, thinking he wants a plate. There were no plates.
    I shouldn't be out in public at this hour

PS i got another bench. The benches here are too high and wide. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bluewolf wrote: »
    PS i got another bench. The benches here are too high and wide. :(

Are they handsome, at least?

I don't get it

I don't get it

You've never heard the phrase 'high, wide and handsome'?

Tis even a moosical

• Advertisement

Wow. I actually haven't! Til

Wow. I actually haven't! Til

You're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

*raises hand*

I also did not get the reference

Alf: educating the masses on the daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Alf: Alien Life Form

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Alf: Alien Life Form

My hair isn't quite as coiffed.

4 weeks since my knee operation. Swelling almost gone. No limp. Slightly tight hams and calf. Couldn't be happier.

Did 15km on the bike today, first time back on the bike in 3 months. No pain at all in the knee. Plenty of pain in the emotions from the lack of fitness. But my come back has commenced.

Plan is 3 sessions a week of unilateral leg work. Checking in with Physio every 2 weeks.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Be interested in your rehab program. I'm not post op or anything but I have bad patellar tendonitis and am planning on rebuilding myself from the ground up

Be interested in your rehab program. I'm not post op or anything but I have bad patellar tendonitis and am planning on rebuilding myself from the ground up

General outline:

Dynamic warm up. Leg swings etc.

Plus hip and ankle mobility work, static stretching and foam rolling of the quads, IT bands, calfs and glutes

Bulgarian split squats, single leg deadlifts, monster walks with resistance bands, body weight squats on a bosu balls, single leg glute bridges.

I won't go any more detailed than that as it's kind of personalised to your own imbalances. Have you been assessed?

they/them/theirs

A 5 minute assessment at the side of the pitch. It's been niggling for a while but last week was the first time it affected my performance and had to come off.
    Going to take a break then rebuild.
    Cheers for the info

Clarence is in Canada taking the piss out of Canadians at the moment. Also interesting to see him doing non-paused squats. He said he was doing them exclusively because a knee injury was aggravated by the bounce so maybe his knee is feeling better these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Let's say Clarence decided to do a powerlifting competition and spent a few months training his squat to competition standard ie just hit parallell, what number would you guess he could put up. I have seen a video of him ATG squat 300kg

300/190/320 would be my prediction. Squats are his baby so he could get 300 with leaving room in the tank for the rest of the day. He has paused benched 202.5, albeit not an IPF pause so I would predict his attempts going 180/190/200F. Deadlifts would be 300/320/340F. You read it here first, folks.

Also have to take into account that he wouldn't use sleeves or a belt cos it's Clarence feckin Kennedy so he'd still have room for more.

But if he took it seriously and used the equipment, along with possibly utilising LB squats, who knows. Maybe add another 50 to his total.

300/190/320 would be my prediction. Squats are his baby so he could get 300 with leaving room in the tank for the rest of the day. He has paused benched 202.5, albeit not an IPF pause so I would predict his attempts going 180/190/200F. Deadlifts would be 300/320/340F. You read it here first, folks.
    I think he goes higher than that. He did a unofficial comp earlier this year and paused ATG 280kg, benched 190kg and deadlifted 320kg, and that was after doing the 160kg snatch and 200kg clean. I don't think that's near his max effort.

I'd say 300kg (ATG)/200kg bench/340kg deadlift. None of which are PRs.
    If he can low bar parallel squat that 300kg goes up a bit too

Game day is different to training so I see where Nico is coming from. It's all well and good saying "if he LB squats to just inside IPF standards" but it doesn't always work that way.

Doing all three in less than 3 hours - as seems to be the case in the IPF comps lately - is a different beast.

• Advertisement

Game day is different to training so I see where Nico is coming from. It's all well and good saying "if he LB squats to just inside IPF standards" but it doesn't always work that way.

Doing all three in less than 3 hours - as seems to be the case in the IPF comps lately - is a different beast.
    The numbers I posted above where from a single day event, not training lifts.
    He did a snatch, clean, squat, bench, deadlift. Not sure what time frames were.
    I'm just saying that I don't the bench and deadlift were his max as suggested above

The numbers I posted above where from a single day event, not training lifts.
    He did a snatch, clean, squat, bench, deadlift. Not sure what time frames were.
    I'm just saying that I don't the bench and deadlift were his max as suggested above

Either way, it's all speculation.

I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Hadn't a clue who this Clarence Kennedy guy was and you got me looking it up. Saw a clip and remember him briefly making headlines for the European Jnr's. Crazy to think he got no funding for Olympics or proper support ( from what I can read online).

One thing that struck a chord with me when I saw some of the training and the injuries he had. Serious over training. Now, who am I to say that given his lifts etc. Well, I have a close mate who ran internationally. Ran himself to the ground doing mileage. Was always miffed the Kenyan's etc did half the work. One day, he had a proper conversation with them and, he learned where he was going wrong. They treated their body like a Ferrari, while he was treating his like a taxi.

It fits for all physical sports. I recall Ronan O'Gara documentary where he opined on similar. Only realising late on how important rest v training was. Paul O'Connell too. Reckoned him trying to match the young lads in the gym goosed him near the end of his career.

ixus wrote: »
    Hadn't a clue who this Clarence Kennedy guy was and you got me looking it up. Saw a clip and remember him briefly making headlines for the European Jnr's. Crazy to think he got no funding for Olympics or proper support ( from what I can read online).

One thing that struck a chord with me when I saw some of the training and the injuries he had. Serious over training. Now, who am I to say that given his lifts etc. Well, I have a close mate who ran internationally. Ran himself to the ground doing mileage. Was always miffed the Kenyan's etc did half the work. One day, he had a proper conversation with them and, he learned where he was going wrong. They treated their body like a Ferrari, while he was treating his like a taxi.

It fits for all physical sports. I recall Ronan O'Gara documentary where he opined on similar. Only realising late on how important rest v training was. Paul O'Connell too. Reckoned him trying to match the young lads in the gym goosed him near the end of his career.
    That level of stuff is actual over training. Very rare, and takes a huge amount of hard work.

Bur most of the time you hear people talk of overtraining. It's nowhere near that level. Puts it in perspective a bit imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

That level of stuff is actual over training. Very rare, and takes a huge amount of hard work.

Bur most of the time you hear people talk of overtraining. It's nowhere near that level. Puts it in perspective a bit imo

Over training is a reletive thing imo. It depends the specific person's recovery capacity. Doesn't always take an insane amount of workload, just has to exceed the specific person's capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

DylanJM wrote:
    Over training is a reletive thing imo. It depends the specific person's recovery capacity. Doesn't always take an insane amount of workload, just has to exceed the specific person's capabilities.

While true most people who say they're over training are just under recovering which isn't the same thing.

DylanJM wrote: »

It's an individual thing. A random person isn't going to have the training tolerance of an elite Kenyan marathon runner. But overtraining is more than just exceeding training capacity. Exceeding capacity is sometimes called overreaching. Or as Blacktie said above underrecovering is much more likely also. Missing sleep, poor nutrition, not enough rest etc will limit recovery.

But you need to be overreaching/underrecovering in relation to your individual capacity for an exceeded period before you are overtrained.
    Once that happens it can takes months to recover.

He's training for elite level strength, injuries happen. Arm chair analysis that he's overtraining is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

He's training for elite level strength, injuries happen. Arm chair analysis that he's overtraining is ridiculous

It's hardly arm chair analysis when he said himself he was overtrained for well over a year before he got surgery and took a year out.

As for his current situation, I have no idea. He says he has no intention of competing and basically lifts just for fun, yet still his knees are in pain which is why he wears that bandage around his tendon non-stop. There's also the small matter that he's likely not on the same supplements as he was back when he competed so obviously his recovering abilities are vastly improved to before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

ixus wrote: »

I think he realises this is where he went wrong, now, according to his interview with ATG before. I wouldn't blame him for what he did though, as he was young, didn't really have a coach and was frustrated as he needed funding, but needed results to get that, and when he did badly at competitions, decided he needed to train extra harder to make sure he'd get the funding he needed.

Advertisement