Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

Some of them want to use you
    Some of them want to get used by you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Annie Lennox > Cletus

Bluewolf wins. TKO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jive wrote: »
    The general lifting population suffers from extreme narcissism in comparison to the average GAA player tho!
    True.
    But GAA heads aren't juice for vanity reasons. So narcissism isn't the driving factor. There's plenty of club level players gwho take their amateur sport very seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if they were willing to take every edge.

I doubt the testing done by the GAA is usada level. But they do testing none the less, and people have failed those tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Any advice for shoulders being sore from the weight of the squat bar other than not being a lil bítch? I'm not squatting anything heavy at the moment, moreso for future reference - wrap a towel around the bar or is that some sort of sacrilege?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

D'Agger wrote: »
    Any advice for shoulders being sore from the weight of the squat bar other than not being a lil bítch? I'm not squatting anything heavy at the moment, moreso for future reference - wrap a towel around the bar or is that some sort of sacrilege?

Are you new to squatting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Either your bar position is wrong or the weight is hurting. A towel won't fix either of those things. Figure out which it is. If the position is wrong, fix it. If the weight is the problem, sack up. The more you squat, the more used to it you'll get.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are you new to squatting?

New enough, yes.
    Either your bar position is wrong or the weight is hurting. A towel won't fix either of those things. Figure out which it is. If the position is wrong, fix it. If the weight is the problem, sack up. The more you squat, the more used to it you'll get.

I'll get the trainer to check bar position so - it's not like I'm in agony or anything, just a lil sore. Only had 70kg on so doubt it's the weight, however if I'm adding another 10kg to that next time then best to address it now....so prob position like you said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

Your average competitive gaa player is as much a gym bunny as anyone ... and as the availability of helping hands is so great in gyms across the country it would be really naive to think the juice retailers are not looking at all markets ... and gaa players are just like anyone .. some will opt for the help.

I've played relatively high level amateur sport for most of my life and despite the threat of tests I was never tested until I got in to lifting

To many the risk is well worth taking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

New enough, yes.

I'll get the trainer to check bar position so - it's not like I'm in agony or anything, just a lil sore. Only had 70kg on so doubt it's the weight, however if I'm adding another 10kg to that next time then best to address it now....so prob position like you said

It's either position or your simply not used to carrying that kind of weight on the area of your body. I recently tried high bar squatting after I changed to low bar months ago. It hurt cause I wasn't used to it

Just went to the off topic thread to see some responses....realised I put this in the wrong thread apologies folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just went to the off topic thread to see some responses....realised I put this in the wrong thread apologies folks!

6102ba514f5b3c655c3bef51cc69e224ea134479f987ddf67c3c50202a0acb7e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've had two things that have given me sore shoulders from squatting. Firstly, I was trying to look up on the ascent. Kept my neck neutral and or pointed somewhat downwards all the way through. Secondly, not having my shoulders pinned down. I had them pinned back, but not pinned down. Once I fixed that, the pain went away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Got my new Powerlifts yesterday. Looking forward to breaking them in this evening with some 85-90% squats.

I did chest work the other day & with poor posture - I think maybe my shoulders were just a bit forward so took a bit of a bruising from the weight. I'll say it to the trainer this evening but I'm sure he'll say I'm good and politely tell me to not be such a gigantic pussy...cat

Appreciate the posts though folks tyvm

I realised today that I'mess up the calorie numbers on my cut. Whoops.
    Have been a bit low on calories on training days. Cut has went well in terms of weightloss, but strength has fallen off a bit. Oh well.

Mellor wrote: »
    I realised today that I'mess up the calorie numbers on my cut. Whoops.
    Have been a bit low on calories on training days. Cut has went well in terms of weightloss, but strength has fallen off a bit. Oh well.

Just go keto. It'll cure any cancer cells you have by removing the need for white blood cells and turn you into a test fueled HGH beast!

Ah I always had the odd day here and there where I went over by a couple hundred calories. If you're still in a deficit it doesn't really make much of a difference and unless you're going over by thousands then you're grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Got my new Powerlifts yesterday. Looking forward to breaking them in this evening with some 85-90% squats.
    Cool, give us your feedback. I have a pair of those too. After first day squating in them I knew there was no way back to squating in regular training shoes (what a joke, the difference is just wow).

j@utis wrote: »
    Cool, give us your feedback. I have a pair of those too. After first day squating in them I knew there was no way back to squating in regular training shoes (what a joke, the difference is just wow).

Will do though I don't expect them to be much different to my adipowers tbh. Though they look damn slick!

Will do though I don't expect them to be much different to my adipowers tbh. Though they look damn slick!

I preferred them to Power Perfects, which have same heel height as Adipowers, because my femur are a bit longer so I lean more on squats. I did not expect to be much of a difference when I got them but I'd never go back

I preferred then to Power Perfects, which have same heel height as Adipowers, because my femur are a bit longer so I lean more on squats. I did not expect to be much of a difference when I got them but I'd never go back

Ah power perfects are the ones I have woops! O interesting. Probably not the best idea testing out new shoes in the 90% range :D

• Advertisement

Ah power perfects are the ones I have woops! O interesting. Probably not the best idea testing out new shoes in the 90% range :D

I just did the calcs and it is only 4mm in difference of heel height but, for me, it had a much bigger impact. It might not feel any different for you.

Just go keto. It'll cure any cancer cells you have by removing the need for white blood cells and turn you into a test fueled HGH beast!

Funnily enough, I'm using a cyclic keto plan and just replied to that thread.
    The gist being that I think his suggested version of keto awful.
    Ah I always had the odd day here and there where I went over by a couple hundred calories. If you're still in a deficit it doesn't really make much of a difference and unless you're going over by thousands then you're grand!
    I mean, I think I've been running too big a deficit on training days (unless I train twice and eat extra).
    Weight loss has gone smoothly, made weight at the lower division with ease. But strength has dipped a little.

Mellor wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I'm using a cyclic keto plan and just replied to that thread.
    The gist being that I think his suggested version of keto awful.

I mean, I think I've been running too big a deficit on training days (unless I train twice and eat extra).
    Weight loss has gone smoothly, made weight at the lower division with ease. But strength has dipped a little.

Yeah I just saw that. Why did you go for keto instead of a regular calorie deficit diet? Satiety?

I just did the calcs and it is only 4mm in difference of heel height but, for me, it had a much bigger impact. It might not feel any different for you.
    which one has a higher heel? I'm as flexible as wooden kitchen chair, I need all help I can get.

which one has a higher heel? I'm as flexible as wooden kitchen chair, I need all help I can get.

You should address the flexibility issues as a priority. The shoes will help but they shouldn't be used as a substitute for flexibility imo.

Yeah I just saw that. Why did you go for keto instead of a regular calorie deficit diet? Satiety?
    I tend to have lots of fat and protein and low-medium carb in my diet anyway. Meat and veg, thai curry etc. It's easy to go keto by just sticking to non starchy veg and swapping oats for eggs. I've had good results with keto in the past.

The satiety is good, but ketosis isn't significantly different to eating lots of protein and veg in that regard imo. The main reason I went with was that Fat loss might be the same between keto and a regular calorie deficit. But with keto I'd also drop some water/glycogen weight. No odds is somebody is wants lose fat, but the state championships were last weekend, and any weight on the scales benefits me.

Ah ye totally forgot the glycogen loss would benefit you. So would you need to bother manipulating water weight the week before?

You should address the flexibility issues as a priority. The shoes will help but they shouldn't be used as a substitute for flexibility imo.
    I injured my ankle when I was a teenager, that was about 20+years ago, it wasn't addressed back then and not much can be done now, so I have to work around it.

I injured my ankle when I was a teenager, that was about 20+years ago, it wasn't addressed back then and not much can be done now, so I have to work around it.

Yikes, have you tried physio? I've a similar thing with my wrist and I still haven't gotten physio on it...

• Advertisement

The Power Perfects and Adipowers have a 0.75" heel but Powerlifts have a lower 0.6" heel.

I know you have an issue with ankle mobility but I'd try to work on it all the same. If you stay pretty upright on your squats then the bigger heel may not be a negative

Advertisement