Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This heat is ridiculous. Spent 90 minutes painting and I look like I've been swimming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

This heat is ridiculous. Spent 90 minutes painting and I look like I've been swimming.

Sitting at a desk and I'm the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm convinced there is a base sweating index. Some people seem to get drenched very easily. I'm probably a three, a friend of mine has gotta be a seven at least. One guy at my old gym was a definite ten. I felt bad for the guy. Any exercise and he would - literally - have puddles beneath him. It was revolting.

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm convinced there is a base sweating index. Some people seem to get drenched very easily. I'm probably a three, a friend of mine has gotta be a seven at least. One guy at my old gym was a definite ten. I felt bad for the guy. Any exercise and he would - literally - have puddles beneath him. It was revolting.

I've assumed I sweated a lot. Not sure why...my frame of reference is me. But I dress myself accordingly. I wear an undergarment made out of 'shammys' so no puddles left behind me.

Maybe so sack sweat on the bar from snatch grip RDLs but I'm hardly going to wear incontinence pants!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Yikes, have you tried physio? I've a similar thing with my wrist and I still haven't gotten physio on it...
    yeah, I've been to physio several times. Over many years my stiff ankle has pushed my knee and my hip out of alignment, so my whole right leg is basically doing its own thing, including causing me pain from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Ah ye totally forgot the glycogen loss would benefit you. So would you need to bother manipulating water weight the week before?
    Yeah exactly, no dicking around the night before. I actually ended up having a mug of bouillon in the evening for extra sodium/ to limit water loss.

Next I've to reintroduce creatine and see how my weight goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

j@utis wrote: »
    I injured my ankle when I was a teenager, that was about 20+years ago, it wasn't addressed back then and not much can be done now, so I have to work around it.

To be honest I wouldn't let lack of ankle mobility hold you back. Wear the weightlifting shoes.

I've got an issue with one of my ankles having reduced mobility over the other and the 0.6" powerlifts weren't enough. I brought them to a cobbler in Rathmines who added additional height to the heel so they're about 1" now.

I'm now actually making progress in the squat whereas before I was having issues due to not having enough forward knee travel. I'm still working on mobility but halting/slowing your progress until you have the mobility is a non-runner.

It's like saying using straps is cheating and instead you should pause your progress on other lifts until your grip strength catches up. :rolleyes:

Caliden wrote:
    I've got an issue with one of my ankles having reduced mobility over the other and the 0.6" powerlifts weren't enough. I brought them to a cobbler in Rathmines who added additional height to the heel so they're about 1" now.

1"... Jesus man that sounds like a lot! I mean I'm almost picturing heels girls wear out there.

O the Powerlifts. Really like them. The difference is subtle but definitely there. It'll take a little bit of getting used to.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    O the Powerlifts. Really like them. The difference is subtle but definitely there. It'll take a little bit of getting used to.

It's crazy how 4mm can make a difference like that.

Inb4 that's what she said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Mellor wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I'm using a cyclic keto plan and just replied to that thread.
    The gist being that I think his suggested version of keto awful.

I mean, I think I've been running too big a deficit on training days (unless I train twice and eat extra).
    Weight loss has gone smoothly, made weight at the lower division with ease. But strength has dipped a little.

A few questions!
    *other than strength training(which really doesn't require much glycogen if you are fat adapted) how did you fare with high intensity workouts?
    Dr Louise Bourke has some studies on body down regulating its use/efficency of glycogen when in ketosis.
    *Did you IF? It's just skipping breakfast for me but gotta keep with the lingo 😀
    *How is your concentration? Personally when fasted for 20-30h I sharper than normal. There a certain smugness to watching others lads wilt! I know some memory champions switch to keto for competition. If I was ever to go back to weekend poker tournaments I'd definitely do it fasted.
    *What excuse do you make at your nephews birthday when you say no to the cake?

Calorie restriction/fasted training is great for mitochondrial biogenesis so it might benefit your sport when you finish starving yourself

• Advertisement

To add to my list of 'unpleasant things', alongside clattering a toe off the leg of a chair:

Dropping down off a chair, after finishing the painting, and landing heel first on the handle of he screwdriver used to open the paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

To add to my list of 'unpleasant things', alongside clattering a toe off the leg of a chair:

Dropping down off a chair, after finishing the painting, and landing heel first on the handle of he screwdriver used to open the paint.

Could be worse, you could've landed in the paint

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Could be worse, you could've landed in the paint

No I couldn't. I had that in an alcove I couldn't have landed in.

Also, the paint would have been soft and cool and not caused my heel to go purple.

Witchhazel is a good astringent, can soak some on cotton wool or something against it

bluewolf wrote: »
    Witchhazel is a good astringent, can soak some on cotton wool or something against it

DO I LOOK LIKE SOME SORT OF MEDIEVAL APOTHECARY???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Is it WADA approved?

Is it WADA approved?

I ended up getting the app for that after your man said about lemsip max sinus&cold being not wada approved!!!!

Lemsip is bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Lemsip is bullsh*t.

But the lemony goodness tastes good.

you're bullsh*t

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Lemsip is bullsh*t.

Overly flavoured bull****, at that. It stings the nostrils.

I do agree though. I like the lemsip tablets. With caffeine in them. That's the stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The blackcurrant lemsip is fab tbh.

I ended up getting the app for that after your man said about lemsip max sinus&cold being not wada approved!!!!

Same... though I don't really know why because I pretty much refuse to take medication for anything.

I think life's too short not to :D take all the drugs!
    The medicine ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

those bloody fan bike things are the devil. did 10 rounds of HIIT, started 30 seconds on 30 off but had to move to 30 on 1 minute off because i was about to die! i was actually sweating for about 45 mins after i had finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The blackcurrant lemsip is fab tbh.

Only if you Love, Love, LOVE getting fillings at the dentist

Neurofen cold and flu ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

D'Agger wrote: »
    Only if you Love, Love, LOVE getting fillings at the dentist

Neurofen cold and flu ftw

In fairness, it's not like I am drinking it every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    those bloody fan bike things are the devil. did 10 rounds of HIIT, started 30 seconds on 30 off but had to move to 30 on 1 minute off because i was about to die! i was actually sweating for about 45 mins after i had finished

We have them in our gym and it's when you stop that you really start feeling it! There's nothing harder than the exercise you are doing after doing that bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ford2600 wrote: »
    A few questions!
    *other than strength training(which really doesn't require much glycogen if you are fat adapted) how did you fare with high intensity workouts?
    Dr Louise Bourke has some studies on body down regulating its use/efficency of glycogen when in ketosis.
    *Did you IF? It's just skipping breakfast for me but gotta keep with the lingo ��
    *How is your concentration? Personally when fasted for 20-30h I sharper than normal. There a certain smugness to watching others lads wilt! I know some memory champions switch to keto for competition. If I was ever to go back to weekend poker tournaments I'd definitely do it fasted.
    *What excuse do you make at your nephews birthday when you say no to the cake?

Calorie restriction/fasted training is great for mitochondrial biogenesis so it might benefit your sport when you finish starving yourself

No issues with training intensity. Last week I hit a PR for 5km. Getting under 20mins for the first time. That'd be my hardest session of the week, the rest are more moderate.

I don't do IF/fasting. I understand how it works for some people. But it's not suitable for me. The trying to train twice a day while fasted sounds like hell tbh.

Concentration is fine. But I'm not fasted. I eat or have coffee and a snack constantly throughout the day.

I've no kids parties to go to within 16,000km so I don't usually get bombarded with sweets. But when social events get in the way. I just allow for the in my cyclic refeed days. Tomorrow night its a friends birthday. Instead instead of a refeed this sunday, I'll just have pizza and beer tomorrow and stick to rest day calories and keto on sunday.

Advertisement