Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Is it not called a hex bar because it has six sides (and therefore is not a trapezoid/trapezium which has 4 sides)???:confused:

I didn't think trap meant trapezoid?

But it would need to have 6 sides, all equal length and all angles @ 120 degrees. If the lengths are not equal, it might have to be named after a parallelogram, or a par-bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

AFAIK the trap in trap bar comes from the trapezius muscle rather than the trapezoid shape. Although the original design did only have 4 sides (coincidence maybe).

Some history:

http://www.trapbartraining.com/

gerard_trap_bar.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

But it would need to have 6 sides, all equal length and all angles @ 120 degrees. If the lengths are not equal, it might have to be named after a parallelogram, or a par-bar

I didn't mean a hexagon - just thought hex kinda meant six (e.g hexadecimal etc.)

I didn't mean a hexagon - just thought hex kinda meant six (e.g hexadecimal etc.)

Next time, you should consult wikipedia before you post and then hit 'Submit Reply' with an air of smugness like I did

Interesting Dylan! Thanks :)

I was thinking of this shape:

$_1.JPG

Tune in next week for more Geometry for Bros - putting the Tri into Triangles :D

• Advertisement

In fairness, all this confusion could easily be avoided by using 'proper' straight bars! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

In fairness, all this confusion could easily be avoided by using 'proper' straight bars! :D

Ah yes, the Proper Bar or P. Roper Bar. Invented by Charles Peregrine Roper Barrow III.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ah yes, the Proper Bar or P. Roper Bar. Invented by Charles Peregrine Roper Barrow III.

Ironically, Charles wasn't straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

what trap bars have you seen that have 16 sides?
    confused now....:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

brownej wrote: »
    what trap bars have you seen that have 16 sides?
    confused now....:confused::confused:

Where's 16 coming from?

Rightly or wrongly hex bar has become another common term to describe a trap bar as many trap bar designs employ a six sided shape (albeit not a true hexagon).

I never thought I would see so many posts about a goddamn trap bar :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Interesting Dylan! Thanks :)

I was thinking of this shape:

$_1.JPG

Tune in next week for more Geometry for Bros - putting the Tri into Triangles :D

For triceps?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    For triceps?

Why do you think a triathlon is so called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

DylanJM wrote: »
    Where's 16 coming from?

The previously quoted post mentioned hexadecimal (which is base 16 numbering)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

After exhaustive googling I've come to the conclusion that a T Bar is a drinking establishment where the majority of clintele are men dress as ladies or ladies dressed as men.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    After exhaustive googling I've come to the conclusion that a T Bar is a drinking establishment where the majority of clintele are men dress as ladies or ladies dressed as men.

Not an establishment where the clientele are men dressed as men and the women are dressed...from the waist down?

Yes, hex (6) - a - decimal (10/tenth) - I was referring to the hex part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Not an establishment where the clientele are men dressed as men and the women are dressed...from the waist down?

That's a TT Bar.

That's a normal bar, except the plates that go on are in hexadecimal format. Tomorrow, my deadlift top set will be AFkg while my bench will 61.5kg, 2.5kg short of the big 64kg milestone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sorry to ruin your smugness, but a hexagon doesn't need equal sides or angles.

Sorry to ruin your smugness, but a hexagon doesn't need equal sides or angles. Same way a triangle doesn't need to be all equal

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Sorry to ruin your smugness, but a hexagon doesn't need equal sides or angles. Same way a triangle doesn't need to be all equal

But we need names to differentiate between a trap bar with equal angles and a trap bar with unequal angles.

And don't get me started on the above bars being either 20kg or 45lb and/or calibrated or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

There's some very high level trolling going on right now

But we need names to differentiate between a trap bar with equal angles and a trap bar with unequal angles.

And don't get me started on the above bars being either 20kg or 45lb and/or calibrated or not.
    Sure, my gym told us they were getting a log bar (for log pressing). The thing came a while back, shocking yoke, not a bit of wood in sight.

Forgot how good a good sports massage can feel.

Jesus I feel brand new.

Yeah it's brilliant isn't it
    I'm lighter today or something

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah it's brilliant isn't it
    I'm lighter today or something

I'm possibly lighter from pain sweats :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Forgot how good a good sports massage can feel.

Where'd you get one? And how/why is it different to a normal massage?

VW 1 wrote: »
    Where'd you get one? And how/why is it different to a normal massage?

Dublin Sports Clinic. There by The Gingerman/Alexander Hotel. Came well recommended.

A good physio will be able to identify what's tighter than it should be and work on alleviating that. It can be fairly hard, depending on what needs to be worked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

A good physio will be able to identify what's tighter than it should be and work on alleviating that. It can be fairly hard, depending on what needs to be worked on.

But is it actually any kind of useful solution or just a nice band aid that won't last a whole lot of time?

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    But is it actually any kind of useful solution or just a nice band aid that won't last a whole lot of time?

Depends.

If you get a car serviced and then run it into the ground, was the service any value?

A good physio will be discuss what you do etc and be able to ascertain if there's anything there that poses questions about the cause. If there's an issue that needs to be addressed and you just get the soft tissue work, then it's a band aid because you haven't addressed the root cause.

But if it's just an accumulation of tightness then it's as much of a solution as you'll get, along with guidance on how to maintain the post-massage condition as long as you can

Advertisement