Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

i have decided to finally start tracking macros for a while to see how i get on.

Quick question tho, since i eat a whole lot of boojum, does anyone have a rough estimate of what a bowl with rice, black beans, chicken, guac, salsa and lettuce would work out at in terms of calories and the breakdown. I used the chipotle calculator online and it worked out at about 750 calories with about 50g of protein, 30g of fat and 65 carbs. This seem about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    i have decided to finally start tracking macros for a while to see how i get on.

Quick question tho, since i eat a whole lot of boojum, does anyone have a rough estimate of what a bowl with rice, black beans, chicken, guac, salsa and lettuce would work out at in terms of calories and the breakdown. I used the chipotle calculator online and it worked out at about 750 calories with about 50g of protein, 30g of fat and 65 carbs. This seem about right?

Probably about right.
    The Mexican I go to puts their nutritional info on the menu. Chicken bowls are around 600 with rice. Could always get a boojum take away and weigh it check portion size.

https://www.salsas.com.au/wp-content/uploads/allergern_information_2017.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Cake Man wrote: »
    Jesus how petty and pathetic are some posters on here. They come on looking for advice to achieve their goals, are given said advice and then a few weeks later set up a new thread (usually under a new username) asking the exact same thing. When people cop on to this and call the poster out on it, they delete their thread/account. What an insult to the people who took the time to try help him/her out! No doubt this poster will be back in a week or two asking the same questions, as if there's some fitness secret we're all keeping from him/her. Some people just don't want to help themselves.

Sorry, I had to let that out! :o

He won't be back any time soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Tried gymnastics tonight. I think I did something to my neck :( It was sold as a 'beginners' class but everyone there could do cart wheels, summersaults etc., there wasn't much instruction, we were just given time to 'play'. An old guy who had been going there for years came over and thank god gave me some safety tips because the instructors were just standing around chatting. Well that's that ticked off the list next up Ju Jitsu and then Diving.

He won't be back any time soon ;)

I went looking for this thread and couldn't find it. Deleted?
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    Tried gymnastics tonight. I think I did something to my neck :( It was sold as a 'beginners' class but everyone there could do cart wheels, summersaults etc., there wasn't much instruction, we were just given time to 'play'. An old guy who had been going there for years came over and thank god gave me some safety tips because the instructors were just standing around chatting. Well that's that ticked off the list next up Ju Jitsu and then Diving.

Scuba diving or jumping into water from a height diving? I'm guessing the latter given the context of the other two.

+1 for Jiu Jitsu. Beginners class is much more likely to be full of actually beginners too

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I went looking for this thread and couldn't find it. Deleted?

Scuba diving or jumping into water from a height diving? I'm guessing the latter given the context of the other two.

+1 for Jiu Jitsu. Beginners class is much more likely to be full of actually beginners too

Getting b1tch slapped by a swimming pool yes. Good because I've been to too many 'beginners' classes at this stage where they say to you in an alarmed voice 'So you haven't done this before?!' No, I haven't ****king done this before. This is the beginners class right? I didn't skip merrily into the advanced but pretending to be beginners for some reason class did I?! FFS.

Well, a guy walking into jiu jitsu with zero experience is a routine occurrence. Some be no funny looks there.
    And funnily enough, even though it's the one where incapacitating your partner is the goal, you are much more likely to get hurt compared to water face slapping (diving) or mat face slapping (somersaults)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Bench program suggestions please

You can pause bench 140kg, right? How long have you been around that and have you plateaued?

You can pause bench 140kg, right? How long have you been around that and have you plateaued?

Haven't plateaued but the novelty of having a bench press means that there is a possibility that every day might become bench day so a bit of structure is needed.

My bench numbers at the moment are
    Paused
    100 x 12
    110 x 8
    115 x 6
    120 x 5
    125 x 4
    130 x 3
    135 x 1
    137.5 x 1
    140 x 1

So everytime I bench I will pick one of these targets and try to add a rep, and on days that I am in a rush or feeling meh I will pick an easy target such as 100 x 12 as I know I can get more reps, always nice to keep an easy PB close at hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I had a quick glance at one that has been put out by Omar Isuf and Silent Mike (kizentraining.com) and the 6-week free program seems like a reasonable set up and can be incorporated into your regular training cos it's 2 days per week starting at ~77% and finishing at 90% in week 6 on the heavier day with more volume on the lighter day.

Or Smolov Jr. Regular Smolov seems built more for someone plateauing while Jr can be run in cycles.

FYI, I've never done either and am way off the point of even considering them for myself. Just throwing them out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

IPF team standards are up. MAYBE I can hit regional standard by the end of next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Blacktie. wrote: »
    IPF team standards are up. MAYBE I can hit regional standard by the end of next year!

Fair play.

I am never hitting them :pac:

Too right though I've no business being anywhere near national team standards!

Or Smolov Jr. Regular Smolov seems built more for someone plateauing while Jr can be run in cycles.

FYI, I've never done either and am way off the point of even considering them for myself. Just throwing them out there.

My only thoughts from experience of Smolov Jnr is that it made bench the dominant focus of training for the 4 weeks rather than being able to sit in with it.

That said, I know people have run Smolov Jnr for bench and squat simultaneously so obviously they didn't find the same issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

JJayoo wrote: »
    Haven't plateaued but the novelty of having a bench press means that there is a possibility that every day might become bench day so a bit of structure is needed.

My bench numbers at the moment are
    Paused
    100 x 12
    110 x 8
    115 x 6
    120 x 5
    125 x 4
    130 x 3
    135 x 1
    137.5 x 1
    140 x 1

So everytime I bench I will pick one of these targets and try to add a rep, and on days that I am in a rush or feeling meh I will pick an easy target such as 100 x 12 as I know I can get more reps, always nice to keep an easy PB close at hand.

Yes, something nice and easy like 100x12.

Gonna create my own program, just need a good name.

Wombat Workout
    Badger Bench Block
    Otter Gainsz
    Becoming a supple Badger?

"Jjayoo don't even lift"

"100x12 is easy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

You could try the 'Cowboy' method.

https://documents.tips/documents/the-juggernaut-cowboy-methodpdf.html

It's by Chad Wesley Smith and the bench section starts on page 11.
    It's a 13 week program with 3 deloads in there if you need them. You test your 10/8/5/3/2 RM as the program progresses until the last week where you retest your 1RM.

You can add weight to your training max each week if you feel like your xRM test was easy.
    It doesn't mention anything about accessory movements but you've already got a 140kg bench so I'd say you're good there.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info :) will check these out. Thankfully the paused bench has a big cross over to my paused OHP.

It anyone has an FB account would they mind helping me out with a vote.
    A sub only comp is giving away free entry to their next comp. closes tonight and I'm currently in 2nd place by a few votes. Help a brother out :D

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1419240074963839/permalink/2066343143586859/

And I lost by 2 votes. FFS

Anyone introduced handstand progressions to their training. Any tips?

Anyone introduced handstand progressions to their training. Any tips?

I did but havent got very far. Can hold them against the wall, but freestanding I'm struggling to make progressi might go back and try the GMB progression from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Found out today that the offices my company are moving to have a gym on site. Tried to find out more on the facilities but the guys viewing the office didn't check it out.

Here's hoping it's more than two sad treadmills and a crosstrainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

I enjoyed smolov Jr for bench but I've never experienced soreness like it. Results were ok for me, bench from 107.5 to 112.5 at the time.
    Ed Coan's peaking cycle is good too, but it's 13 weeks straight. Would be good if you time it right before a comp.

Anyone experience side effects taking Zma. I feel groggy, have a slight cough and kind of flu like symptoms but not quite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

cloudatlas wrote:
    Anyone experience side effects taking Zma. I feel groggy, have a slight cough and kind of flu like symptoms but not quite.

It sounds like you're just getting a cold.

The most common side effect from taking ZMA (anecdotally) is mental dreams.

• Advertisement

Do any of ye use symmetric strength the app. It has a little diagram to show you your weakest muscles based on what lifts you've logged. And where you are in relation to other users of your gender and age groups

Advertisement