Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Do any of ye use symmetric strength the app. It has a little diagram to show you your weakest muscles based on what lifts you've logged. And where you are in relation to other users of your gender and age groups

By use if you mean do I periodically go to the website just to take a look then ye sure... Didn't realise it was an app though.

Yeah i think the app has more than tje website . don't fully remember the site though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I open it every few months, enter my stats and enter another gym depression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The site is very basic. Wouldn't inspire me to pay €4.40 for the app.

Especially if it's just going to tell me I'm weak.

I don't remember paying for it

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't remember paying for it

Just searched in Google store and it was looking for cash moneys.

Thought the icarus film was actually pretty good. Made a very interesting story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Thought the icarus film was actually pretty good. Made a very interesting story.
    Watched half, must return to it, definitely and interesting premise it has to be said

Don Catlin was interviewed on Off The Ball last week and it kinda sounded like he knew Rodchenkov was a bit dodgy, when he was asked why he directed Fogel to him for the purposes of the original premise of the film.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Need new Gym shoes.

Anyone tried the crossfit (Reebok) metcon (Nike), Inov8 training shoes or others like them?

Looking for something I can lift in but are suitable for range of exercises from using the Rowing Machine to floor exercises.

• Advertisement

Sorry not me. I just swap into runners after I'm done lifting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DM_7 wrote: »
    Need new Gym shoes.

Anyone tried the crossfit (Reebok) metcon (Nike), Inov8 training shoes or others like them?

Looking for something I can lift in but are suitable for range of exercises from using the Rowing Machine to floor exercises.

I have a pair of Reebok/Crossfit runners (Nano).

They are just lightweight runners tbh. I wear them for running/cardio, bodyweight training, or general weights/benching etc.
    I wouldn't wear them for squats, deadlifts, cleans,

Need new Gym shoes.

What kind of lifting?

Also, would it not be possible/better to get a pair of shoes for lifting and switch into runners for the non-lifting stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Need new Gym shoes.

I am interested in this too - had been looking at getting metcons, have seen a lot of people doing crossfit wearing them for oly lifting but I imagine they aren't great compared to proper shoes - if they even helped a bit I would consider them though.

Basically trying to avoid carrying 2 bulky pairs of shoes with me (e.g. runners & squat shoes) really (I walk everywhere and already carry a load of stuff so the less the better!)

I think I may just have to bite the bullet and become the bag lady :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Anyone experience side effects taking Zma. I feel groggy, have a slight cough and kind of flu like symptoms but not quite.

Only after spotting this post. The b vitamin levels in my blood are way higher than most people's so there's no way I could justify taking it.
    Maybe you're in the same boat

Basically trying to avoid carrying 2 bulky pairs of shoes with me (e.g. runners & squat shoes) really (I walk everywhere and already carry a load of stuff so the less the better!)

I use Penneys cheapo 'Cons' and they take up FA room.

This is where it begins. Then you'll want a belt because.. core. Then sure why not some knee sleeves. And sure there's a special on wrist straps and those elbow sleeves would look good with the rest.

Before you know it you're instagram blasting out essays in hashtag format looking for a sponsorship so you can buy a new wardrobe to fit all your active wear!

Semi relevent video

I am interested in this too - had been looking at getting metcons, have seen a lot of people doing crossfit wearing them for oly lifting but I imagine they aren't great compared to proper shoes - if they even helped a bit I would consider them though.

I walk everywhere... In my runners :D
    Work shoes stay at work

I use Penneys cheapo 'Cons' and they take up FA room.

Thanks! Yeah I actually currently do use cons for squats atm and find them ok, and I also can wear them for everything else, and for walking to and from the gym too. I really want to get powerlifts but would have to bring them separately as well as something like cons for general walking/other gym stuff which is the one thing putting me off (was just wondering is something like metcons would be better than cons but I doubt it probably)

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This is where it begins. Then you'll want a belt because.. core. Then sure why not some knee sleeves. And sure there's a special on wrist straps and those elbow sleeves would look good with the rest.

Before you know it you're instagram blasting out essays in hashtag format looking for a sponsorship so you can buy a new wardrobe to fit all your active wear!

Semi relevent video

:D Seriously the effort in making sure my shaker colour matches my outfit like, if it had to match my shoes as well.... :eek:

Oh I have seen that video, that is absolutely me. Honestly, I have seriously been wondering if there is any way I can get away with "dressing up" gym leggings for work if I only wear black ones....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

"Converse" Chuck Taylor's from alibaba. 8 years found strong.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Have adidas powerlifts and a pair of incredibly clean chuck taylors. I'm embarrassed by how clean they are as having chalk and sweat stains on your chucks is more important than having correct lifting form, obvs.

Thing is, I use my squat shoes for benching too and until the last few weeks, had only been deadlifting on the same day as squatting. I just deadlifted in my socks instead of changing shoes as I was too lazy to bring my chucks along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lost my wrist wraps. They were free from D8 Fitness when I ordered a few bits, but they did the job.
    Ordered some replacement cheapo
    Jobs from China the other week.
    I opened the pack and it contained a single wrist wrapped of questionable quality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Thanks for the replies on shoes.

Like said above, I was looking for something I could do a bit of everything in, without bringing extra pair for exercises like a deadlift. Also prefer to leave my shoes on as much as possible in the gym for time and ease (you might just say that is lazy)

My gym workouts are varied but I rarely run in the gym. For example Monday was pull ups, weighted pull ups, press ups, deadlifts (light enough for reps), stretches/yoga, core work, bodyweight squats.

I had a shoes from Aldi that suited me great, but they never got them in again. Flat sole with good grip, great for deadlifts, had a nive balance between durable and flexible for a burpee or floor work. Had to bin them when the grip eventually wore away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Mellor wrote: »
    Lost my wrist wraps. They were free from D8 Fitness when I ordered a few bits, but they did the job.
    Ordered some replacement cheapo
    Jobs from China the other week.
    I opened the pack and it contained a single wrist wrapped of questionable quality.

Boxing wraps are the best imo. I cut them in half and they're brilliant.

Like said above, I was looking for something I could do a bit of everything in, without bringing extra pair for exercises like a deadlift. Also prefer to leave my shoes on as much as possible in the gym for time and ease (you might just say that is lazy)

My gym workouts are varied but I rarely run in the gym. For example Monday was pull ups, weighted pull ups, press ups, deadlifts (light enough for reps), stretches/yoga, core work, bodyweight squats.

I had a shoes from Aldi that suited me great, but they never got them in again. Flat sole with good grip, great for deadlifts, had a nive balance between durable and flexible for a burpee or floor work. Had to bin them when the grip eventually wore away.

That workout you gave for Monday you could do in cheapo cons. If you want to squat heavier, you could look at lifting shoes but for pretty much everything else, the cons would do.

Finally got a hold of some Skyr (Icelandic style yoghurt with those weird ads). Pretty damn delicious. Like petit filous except you don't feel like a kid eating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They're expensive now, but the Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit is the best training shoe I've ever owned. It's not a replacement for what a squat / oly shoe does of course (but you buy them once and they last forever), but for everything else I've found it to be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Also, Rich Piana dead at 46. His stuff wouldn't have interested me in the slightest, but I'd say most of us have come across him on the Internet (even if only as a source of ridicule).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Also, Rich Piana dead at 46. His stuff wouldn't have interested me in the slightest, but I'd say most of us have come across him on the Internet (even if only as a source of ridicule).

Dallas McCarver also and he was only 26!

Advertisement