Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I ran CP a few years back and got nothing from it. Possibly a rep PR? The whole idea of working your %s off a target weight didn't work for me, I guess. Intense program though.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Run Coan's Bench peaking cycle beside it. Should line up nicely with it.

Coan competed in all 3 lifts and cycled them all in a similar fashion. Found this resource that had a full routine for him, haven't tried it

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4853653&d=1346893053

Obvious caveat being that he's probably the most naturally gifted and greatest powerlifter of all time and was on steroids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

The Coan templates you often see online get really unrealistic really quickly towards the end.

The premise of them is true, lift more for less reps each week but (and Im paraphrasing here) the estimated percentages are bastardised amd you should run it off a target number that you believe is doable amd work backwards from there. So if you have a 150kg bench and you plug it in and the spreadsheet says something like 170kg for a double in week 12 then have the sense to backtrack/ammemd accordingly.

I might be wrong too but I dont think he had anything to do with the Coan-Phillipi deadlift programme?

For what its worth I've run most of if not all of the 'Coan' programmes and variants thereof over the years and having spent a good bit of time talking to him about them if I were to go back Id have done them all a bit differently.

• Advertisement

Agree they are unrealistic, but probably not to Ed Coan the freak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Run Coan's Bench peaking cycle beside it. Should line up nicely with it.
    I had looked at that. But don't think I can fit in 3 days per week on top of the rest.
    Might just have to make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Just had a look at that program and by week 8 i should be hitting a double with 7.5kg more than my current max. That doesnt seem very likely to me in 8 training sessions?

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Just had a look at that program and by week 8 i should be hitting a double with 7.5kg more than my current max. That doesnt seem very likely to me in 8 training sessions?
    Loads are based off the desired weight. It doesnt consider current max or possible strength increases. Basically the numbers you need to be hitting in order to reach that goal.
    It's a fine line between picking an maximum potential and an impossible goal I guess.
    I'll probably just run it targeting a token PR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Interview with Bryan Fogel, of Icarus fame, on the documentary and some interesting background:

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/09/doping-documentary-interview-icarus-director-bryan-fogel/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Has anyone ever done online coaching with Sigman nutrition Strength & Conditioning Coaching + Nutrition Coaching. Is it pricey?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Started making my own preworkout, saving a bomb and feels more effective. Creatine, caffine, Beta Alanine, citrulline malate, BCAA's and flavour drops. Working a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

20 minute cardio finisher, I have been running at a pace of 7 and an incline of 2 but someone told me I should be varying the speed and incline throughout?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    20 minute cardio finisher, I have been running at a pace of 7 and an incline of 2 but someone told me I should be varying the speed and incline throughout?

I don't think it's hugely necessary, especially if you're just looking to burn calories.

But if you find it getting easier, then by all means change one of the variables (speed/incline) to make it more challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Up to 50% off some shoes on adidas.ie. You can get these Powerlift 3.1s for 40 squid :)

Up to 50% off some shoes on adidas.ie. You can get these Powerlift 3.1s for 40 squid :)

Why does that seem better than just buying laces for the Powerlifts I have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I keep getting an error when I go to order them - or in fact anything on adidas.ie :(

edit: seems to be fixed now \o/ at that price finally gonna order me some lifting shews. Is it embarrassing to admit I actually quite like the red/orangey colour :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Quick deadlift related question. I find myself failing on my third set, not because my hams can't take the weight, but because I find it too hard to hold onto the bar. Any tips for tackling this? I'm aiming for 15-18 reps, so is it a case of dialling back the reps and upping the weight?

Are you using chalk and mixed grip
    That's a lot of reps

bluewolf wrote: »
    Are you using chalk and mixed grip
    That's a lot of reps

Nope, overhand grip and no chalk. I'm only talking 25-30kg here so I'd feel like a bit of a sap using chalk tbh. :o I'll try mixed grip and see if that helps,

• Advertisement

3 sets of 18 reps, not surprised your hand are sweaty

Sat down yesterday, planned out my next 5 weeks of training, to mini-comp next week, peaking at nationals.
    Complete current strength cycle and up the grappling intensity.

This morning, last minute of training, literally about to leave and "POP"... there goes a ligaments in my knee. FML

Mellor wrote: »
    Sat down yesterday, planned out my next 5 weeks of training, to mini-comp next week, peaking at nationals.
    Complete current strength cycle and up the grappling intensity.

This morning, last minute of training, literally about to leave and "POP"... there goes a ligaments in my knee. FML

Cruciate or medial/lateral?

Or too soon to know?

Nope, overhand grip and no chalk. I'm only talking 25-30kg here so I'd feel like a bit of a sap using chalk tbh. :o I'll try mixed grip and see if that helps,

Mixed grip would help but i wouldn't be worried about what the weight is for using chalk. If it helps, it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You're also training your finger muscles, don't forget. They'll get stronger too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Quick deadlift related question. I find myself failing on my third set, not because my hams can't take the weight, but because I find it too hard to hold onto the bar. Any tips for tackling this? I'm aiming for 15-18 reps, so is it a case of dialling back the reps and upping the weight?

Question, why 15-18 reps? I wouldn't advise that for any reason.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Question, why 15-18 reps? I wouldn't advise that for any reason.

It's what's down in the programme I'm working though at the moment: the Strong Curves beginner programme. Now, to be fair, it does say 10-20 reps, but I aim for 15 and then up the reps until I feel able add weight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's what's down in the programme I'm working though at the moment: the Strong Curves beginner programme. Now, to be fair, it does say 10-20 reps, but I aim for 15 and then up the reps until I feel able add weight.

I may get beaten up over this, but I honestly think deadlifts should be kept under 8 reps. Poor form on the deadlift can absolutely destroy your back and the higher you go in reps, the more your form will drift. Ideally deadlifts should be done in the 3-5 rep range.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Brian? wrote: »
    I may get beaten up over this, but I honestly think deadlifts should be kept under 8 reps. Poor form on the deadlift can absolutely destroy your back and the higher you go in reps, the more your form will drift. Ideally deadlifts should be done in the 3-5 rep range.

8 reps is more deadlifts than I'd ever do even. Totally agree with this post.

• Advertisement

I may be mistaken but I thought it was DB RDLs at those rep ranges in Strong Curves rather than deadlifts.

Actually, I think that's just the early stages. Probably has deadlifts in there at some stage

Advertisement