Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JJayoo wrote: »
    Karl Henry is the Daniel O' Donnell of lifting

:eek:

Are you saying he loves drinking cups of T?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Is that the steel driving man?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The man who made a career partially by pretending to do triathlons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I think he’s more Eoin Mc love than Daniel

The man who made a career partially by pretending to do triathlons

Seriously? That's gas.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    Seriously? That's gas.

I think it was Ironman events he 'competed in' but which had a big DNF beside his name in the Results section.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Is there a set formula or method for calculating your 1RM based on multiple reps. i.e. if I can do 7 reps at 135kg deadlifts what if my 1RM likely to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

TRS30 wrote: »
    Is there a set formula or method for calculating your 1RM based on multiple reps. i.e. if I can do 7 reps at 135kg deadlifts what if my 1RM likely to be?

best method of calculating is actually doing the 1RM.

There are so many variables that it would be impossible to tell and it will also be unique to you.

Myself and one of my training partners have the exact same 1RM on the deadlift yet I can rep 90% of this while he would struggle with a double.

whippet wrote: »

best method of calculating is actually doing the 1RM.

There are so many variables that it would be impossible to tell and it will also be unique to you.

Myself and one of my training partners have the exact same 1RM on the deadlift yet I can rep 90% of this while he would struggle with a double.
    Thanks.
    Agree; however I work out at home and 135 is the max I get on the bar I have, so I'm not able to actually test my 1RM. I know I need to invest in heavier weights just haven't got the cash at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

Thanks.
    Agree; however I work out at home and 135 is the max I get on the bar I have, so I'm not able to actually test my 1RM. I know I need to invest in heavier weights just haven't got the cash at the minute.

then in the words of my coach .. 135kg is your one rep max as it is the heaviest you've ever pulled.

a tenner will get you a day pass in a fly fit or other gym ... you'll have all the weights you want and can test then.

exrx is a great site. But goddammit does it badly need an overhaul

COH wrote: »

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html
    whippet wrote: »
    Thanks.

then in the words of my coach .. 135kg is your one rep max as it is the heaviest you've ever pulled.

a tenner will get you a day pass in a fly fit or other gym ... you'll have all the weights you want and can test then.
    Thanks COH.

Sounds like a plan, there is a fly fit in Swords which isn't too far so might look into that. Not overly concerned, was more out of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I find http://repmaxcalculator.com/

to be a better rep max calculator. Brzycki has been the most accurate for me.

There is. But don't use them. Just test your 1RM.

they/them/theirs

Thanks.

Ah, sorry. Can I ask why you're calculating it if you can't go any heavier?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Thanks.

Ah, sorry. Can I ask why you're calculating it if you can't go any heavier?
    Curiosity more than anything else. Am also looking at replacing some 10kg plates with 20kg so kinda trying to work out how many I would need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Curiosity more than anything else. Am also looking at replacing some 10kg plates with 20kg so kinda trying to work out how many I would need.

To be honest, if you only have 135kg, then you don't need to be replacing any weights. You need to keep what you have and add weights.
    1rm is prob 160-165kg, so in the short term you'd want to add at least 40kg, with another 20-40g for future goals.

If it was me I'd get 2 x 20kg and 2 x 15kg and just aim to pull 200kg.

Mellor wrote: »

To be honest, if you only have 135kg, then you don't need to be replacing any weights. You need to keep what you have and add weights.
    1rm is prob 160-165kg, so in the short term you'd want to add at least 40kg, with another 20-40g for future goals.

If it was me I'd get 2 x 20kg and 2 x 15kg and just aim to pull 200kg.
    Replace was a bad choice of words. I meant replace on the bar, if that makes sense! The 10kg I have are the plastic York ones so are quite wide and I only have a 6 foot bar.
    Standard size weights seem hard to come by and expensive as well.

Ah I get you. You've to make a decision now then.
    With commit to standard weights and find 50-70kg somewhere. Or sell them and jump to and oly set now

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Ah I get you. You've to make a decision now then.
    With commit to standard weights and find 50-70kg somewhere. Or sell them and jump to and oly set now
    Pretty much. It's something I have been thinking about since I got back into lifting properly a couple of months back. With two small kids and moving house recently I drift in and out of it so difficult to justify the €100s to go oly size or to join a gym. Shed in new house is much smaller so have to bench and deadlift outside so weather a factor as well.

Think will have to trawl adverts and DD to try and find some cheap standard weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

used a hack squat machine for the first time a couple of days ago. Quads are still suffering doms from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Went on holidays for 2 weeks to NY with the wife. Didn't get near a gym for the entire time but didn't overundulge on food and did 100 Press Ups with strict form (in groups of 20)

I've lost 5 kg and feel like I've lost 5 months of 'gains.'

I really dislike holidays at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

brianblaze wrote:

Your life must be so hard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Blacktie. wrote: »
    brianblaze wrote:

Your life must be so hard :D

Self employed so never a real holiday! You come back to more work and less time, but with a slightly better tan

2 questions for anybody who has ran Smolov Jr for bench.

Add 5kg both weeks, or should the second increase be 2.5kg?

Can it be successfully ran back to back or in close succession.

The main website i got it from says don't run it back to back and I'd kinda have to agree
    I think i added 2.5x2 then 5

bluewolf wrote: »
    The main website i got it from says don't run it back to back

Unless you're Barry fcukin Pigott

bluewolf wrote: »
    The main website i got it from says don't run it back to back and I'd kinda have to agree
    I think i added 2.5x2 then 5
    2.5 twice, then 5kg?

There's only two increases. :confused:

Week 2 has been fine so far. I think I can add another 5kg, but would rather make sure I keep the tempo up.
    I might add an extra week?
    Base, +5kg, +7.5kg, +10kg

• Advertisement

I'll have to go back and check my log properly. I did it a few weeks ago. I just remember i did a big jump on week 3 so i could do 10x3 on my 1rm

Advertisement