Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

TRS30 wrote: »
    General question..........Do people find there can lift less inclined compared to flat bench? If so, roughly how much?

Yeah nearly everyone will lift less on incline than on flat. On the fixed incline benches in flyefit working off a 5 rep max my incline is around 85% of my flat bench. For dumbbells its about the same % while using the first notch of the incline. I would guess most people would be in the 75-85% range

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Thanks guys. My incline is about 80% of my flat for same number of reps so seems to be inline.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Percentages will also vary depending on how you train/ how much attention you give to each lift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Just signed up for my first ever powerlifting competition, the day after a profressional exam and a work Christmas party.

I think I must hate myself:pac:

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Just signed up for my first ever powerlifting competition, the day after a profressional exam and a work Christmas party.

Just make sure to have a day off after it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Make sure to join in here :)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057696988/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Definitely, had been following it with interest since it was created. It’s been a goal of mine for a good while to compete at least once but life and work kept on getting in the way. This is just a local one organized by a friend (albeit an Irish team member) so said screw it I’ll do it even if I can just lift the bar once it came up!

Definitely, had been following it with interest since it was created. It’s been a goal of mine for a good while to compete at least once but life and work kept on getting in the way. This is just a local one organized by a friend (albeit an Irish team member) so said screw it I’ll do it even if I can just lift the bar once it came up!

You'll enjoy it. It's addictive. And great to have something to train towards rather than just testing

How to nearly kill yer oul lad

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba9bFJbABur/

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

I have a pair of UK size 10 red/black Adipowers for sale if anyone is interested. Perfect condition - only worn 5 times.

They're these ones:
    https://www.rogueapo.com/adidas-adip...-gray-metallic

• Advertisement

Thinking of changing up the routine. Been doing a 2 day split of legs/check and arm/back for the last few months.
    Was thinking of going to;
    •  1 day bench
    •  1 day squat
    •  1 day DL
    •  1 day dips/BB rows/chin-ups.

Never done only one day a week per body part. So should I just do the one exercise with lots of volume or do an assistance exercise as well? What kind of volume I should be looking at?
    Goal is just to add strength across the three lifts till the end of the year and then decide what I want to try and achieve for next year.
    42yo, M, 6' 1", 80kg, work out at home, 45 mins per session.

Thinking of changing up the routine. Been doing a 2 day split of legs/check and arm/back for the last few months.
    • 1 day bench
    • 1 day squat
    • 1 day DL
    • 1 day dips/BB rows/chin-ups.

Never done only one day a week per body part. So should I just do the one exercise with lots of volume or do an assistance exercise as well? What kind of volume I should be looking at?
    Goal is just to add strength across the three lifts till the end of the year and then decide what I want to try and achieve for next year.

You could look at something like this, which Ha**ey posted once upon a time.

Each session is based around the main lift and everything else complements that. I'd include the dips/rows/chin ups on the appropriate days rather than give them a day

Speaking purely personally if i am in any way dubious about going to the gym, i will definitely never go for an accessory only day.
    Would say include them in small batches with lift days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

•  1 day bench
    •  1 day squat
    •  1 day DL
    •  1 day dips/BB rows/chin-ups.

Never done only one day a week per body part. So should I just do the one exercise with lots of volume or do an assistance exercise as well? What kind of volume I should be looking at?

What you’ve outlined isn’t really a day per body part, which is a good thing.

The above could work, but it’s really dependent on accessory selection and rep ranges.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Thanks gents.
    Brian- you're right, I meant a one lift per week not body part.

Any thoughts on the below? Any suggestions for the ones I'm missing?

A) Main Lift- bench
    B) Something hard like the main lift 5x8- Incline bench
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8- close grip bench
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12- Inclined DB flys
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12 - Dips

A) Main Lift-  DL
    B) Something hard like the main lift 5x8- BB Row
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8- ?
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12- chin ups
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12- ?

A) Main Lift- Squat
    B) Something hard like the main lift 5x8- front squat
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8- ?
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12- ?
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12- ?

Thanks gents.

A) Main Lift- bench
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12- Inclined DB flys
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12 - Dips (I'd be more inclined to have this as a B/C and have something like skullchushers here)

A) Main Lift- DL
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8- RDL
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12- chin ups
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12- Hamstring curls

A) Main Lift- Squat
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8- Split squats
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12- Leg press
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12- Lunges

The suggestions are in red. Different people will pick different accessories based on what they need to address but there's something to think about

Thanks gents.

A) Main Lift- bench
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12 - Dips (I'd be more inclined to have this as a B/C and have something like skullchushers here)

A) Main Lift-  DL
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8- RDL
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12- Hamstring curls

A) Main Lift- Squat
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8- Split squats
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12- Leg press
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12- Lunges

The suggestions are in red. Different people will pick different accessories based on what they need to address but there's something to think about
    Thanks Alf.
    I work out at home so cant do hamstring curls or leg press. Any other suggestions?

Forward lunges AND reverse lunges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Step up?

Thanks Alf.
    I work out at home so cant do hamstring curls or leg press. Any other suggestions?

Ah. Didn't see where you'd said that.

If you have a bench, you can do hamstring curls with a dumbbell.

Otherwise, what bluewolf and Ivory Tower said.

Also, tempo squats if you hate yourself.

• Advertisement

Thanks again lads.

How this look;

Work out A
    Deadlift
    Barbell Rows
    Romian Deadlift
    Chip Ups
    Dumbbell Hamstring curls

Work out B
    Bench
    Inclined Bench
    Weighted Dips
    Inclinded Dumbbell Flys
    Skullcrushers

Work out C
    Squat
    Front Squat
    Split Squats
    Dumbbell step ups
    Lunges

Current 1RM max is;
    100kg- bench
    110kg- Squat (haven't squatted in 6 months)
    160kg- DL (based on calculator as can only fit 135kg on bar)

So for week 1 I'm going to start with 5x8 at;
    Bench- 70kg
    Squat- 80kg
    DL- 115kg

Two questions
    should I do any warm up sets before the first main lift?
    Does the weight on the other lifts increase during the 6 weeks?

ye always warm up sets
    accessory weights are harder to progress. do increase if you can but dont be sad if you cant

Just realised I have to get through 216 reps week 1 not including warm up sets :'(

Just realised I have to get through 216 reps week 1 not including warm up sets :'(

How many days a week are you training?

they/them/theirs

Thanks again lads.

How this look;

Work out A
    Deadlift
    Barbell Rows
    Romian Deadlift
    Chip Ups
    Dumbbell Hamstring curls

Work out B
    Bench
    Inclined Bench
    Weighted Dips
    Inclinded Dumbbell Flys
    Skullcrushers

Work out C
    Squat
    Front Squat
    Split Squats
    Dumbbell step ups
    Lunges

Current 1RM max is;
    100kg- bench

Bench- 70kg
    Squat- 80kg
    DL- 115kg

Two questions

My only critique: you’ve a lot a of bilateral accessories in there. You could reinforce an imbalances, if there are any.

I’d consider swapping out inclined pressing for DB incline and dips for overhead pressing.

The lower body stuff seems more balanced.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »

How many days a week are you training?
    Am doing 4 at the minute so will be dropping to 3 once I start this programme.

Brian? wrote: »
    Thanks again lads.

How this look;

Work out A
    Deadlift
    Barbell Rows
    Romian Deadlift
    Chip Ups
    Dumbbell Hamstring curls

Work out B
    Bench
    Inclined Bench
    Weighted Dips
    Inclinded Dumbbell Flys
    Skullcrushers

Work out C
    Squat
    Front Squat
    Split Squats
    Dumbbell step ups
    Lunges

Current 1RM max is;
    100kg- bench

Bench- 70kg
    Squat- 80kg
    DL- 115kg

Two questions

My only critique: you’ve a lot a of bilateral accessories in there. You could reinforce an imbalances, if there are any.

I’d consider swapping out inclined pressing for DB incline and dips for overhead pressing.

The lower body stuff seems more balanced.
    Thanks. I only have one set of DB at home which are 17.5kg hence doing inclined bench is easier. I had though about the OHP so might swap that for dips and do the dips on a down day with planks and stretching.

Did the bench work out last night and got through the whole workout in just about an hour. That included two warm up sets of 8 reps so 232 reps in total. Did the assistance/bodybuilder ones with little rest between sets.

Did the bench work out last night and got through the whole workout in just about an hour. That included two warm up sets of 8 reps so 232 reps in total. Did the assistance/bodybuilder ones with little rest between sets.

The D/E sometimes lend themselves to being supersets as well.

If you're short on time, just make sure to give yourself enough time to do A-C and if needs be, drop the D/E rather than trying to rush through A-C and get some of D/E done.

• Advertisement

The D/E sometimes lend themselves to being supersets as well.

If you're short on time, just make sure to give yourself enough time to do A-C and if needs be, drop the D/E rather than trying to rush through A-C and get some of D/E done.
    Yep, did all the main lift with suitable rest time so did feel the final two were rushed a bit however as there are more bodybuilder type exercises is probably no bad thing.

Advertisement