Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

50-80 mins is typical for me all right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

bluewolf wrote: »
    50-80 mins is typical for me all right
    I assume it was 80 mins for the earlier weeks and then dropped as the reps decreased?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

TRS30 wrote: »
    I assume it was 80 mins for the earlier weeks and then dropped as the reps decreased?

Reps decrease but rests increase.

Reps decrease but rests increase.
    Interesting. So you are suppose to take longer in between sets as the reps drop?
    Why the 30 mins difference in time to complete the workout then? Obviously directed at wolf and not you Alf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Interesting. So you are suppose to take longer in between sets as the reps drop?
    Why the 30 mins difference in time to complete the workout then? Obviously directed at wolf and not you Alf.

Can't speak for bluewolf but personally I find sessions where I deadlift or squat take longer generally than bench because I usually have to do one or 2 extra warm up sets because of the extra weights.

In relation to the rest periods, For my main strength lifts I generally try to take enough enough time to be recovered to complete the next set; I find heavier weights more taxing than higher reps so just naturally end up taking longer breaks (also a reason why squat and deadlift take longer.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TRS30 wrote:
    So you are suppose to take longer in between sets as the reps drop?
    It's not so much that you are supposed to, but that you have to. Heavy doubles, triples, etc are more taxing that 8-12 reps.

Yeah i need a longer break sometimes especially as it gets heavier. Squats take the longest by far, if I'm going up to like 90kg that means 20/30/40/50/60/70/75/80/85++ whereas deadlift is only a few warmup sets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Interesting, I generally follow the same warm up percentages of working sets roughly for squat/bench/Deadlift.

Usually bar 2 x 10
    50% x 8
    70% x 5
    80% x 3
    90% x 2

Then into working set reps..

Not necessarily but heavier squats and deadlifts are more taxing on your system so you're likely to need longer to recover. No point in rushing them to the point where you're at risk of not completing sets. Like I said, if it means taking 5 minutes between sets on the A-C to do the work properly, then I'd have no issue with having to drop the D/E because of time constraints

Bench workouts tend to be less taxing, for example. Your CNS will be more fried from heavy deadlifts and squats than it will be from bench so you're likely to need less rest. It may not be 30 mins quicker but it will likely be quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Mellor wrote: »
    It's not so much that you are supposed to, but that you have to. Heavy doubles, triples, etc are more taxing that 8-12 reps.

As someone once told me for rest periods, for strength work take however long you think you need to recover and add another 30 seconds. For Bodybuildingy stuff, take however long you think you need less 30 seconds.

• Advertisement

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    As someone once told me for rest periods, for strength work take however long you think you need to recover and add another 30 seconds. For Bodybuildingy stuff, take however long you think you need less 30 seconds.

As good a metric as any. The idea being strength work is all about hitting the reps, where as BB stuff is all about da pump.

Due to other commitments had to do DL workout last night. Was tough and took about 1 hour 20 mins to complete.
    Never done RDL before. If doing 5x8 which is the same as DL for week 1, what kind of weight should I be using compared to DL?

Due to other commitments had to do DL workout last night. Was tough and took about 1 hour 20 mins to complete.
    Never done RDL before. If doing 5x8 which is the same as DL for week 1, what kind of weight should I be using compared to DL?

Depends. You just have to work up to a weight you can do for 5 sets of 8 so first set should be one where you could do 11 reps or so

Depends. You just have to work up to a weight you can do for 5 sets of 8 so first set should be one where you could do 11 reps or so
    Yea, felt like a little bit of trial and error. I went with 100kg in the end and was focusing on form and was hopefully doing it right!

Yea, felt like a little bit of trial and error. I went with 100kg in the end and was focusing on form and was hopefully doing it right!

Yeah it's a bit of trial and error to start with. You should feel it in your hamstrings and glutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I seem to have to eat perfectly 100% of the time to have any meaningful sort of weight loss and it's staring to get me down.

This week I had a blow out meal on Saturday evening (anniversary dinner with pizza, wine and ice cream) but was strict every other day of the week (i.e 1400 cals on average and daily exercise). I weigh myself each Thursday and was only down 0.2lb this week. I think I'm more annoyed than usual this week because I felt slim, if that makes sense!

I'm out for a celebration meal with family this weekend and knowing that it's going to tank any good work I do during the week is taking the joy out of it.

I don't have a lot to lose (6lb to go) but it feels like I'll never get there, especially with Christmas around the corner and all that entails.

Rant over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Tea-a-Maria - my weight can fluctuate a lot over a month due to hormones etc., could that be playing a part I wonder? I always find it more accurate to compare weight month on month before I abandon all hope/give up for that reason! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Tea-a-Maria - my weight can fluctuate a lot over a month due to hormones etc., could that be playing a part I wonder? I always find it more accurate to compare weight month on month before I abandon all hope/give up for that reason! :D:D

Im very similar to this (bar the hormones part!). I can have my diet on point for two or three weeks without losing anything really, then go a couple of weeks of being a little loser and suddenly my weight will have dropped the way i would have expected while being stricter on my food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

I don't have a lot to lose (6lb to go) but it feels like I'll never get there, especially with Christmas around the corner and all that entails.

Maybe try switching around your eating, keep at the 1400 mark but maybe try it in an intermittant fast type routine ie an eating window.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Im very similar to this (bar the hormones part!). I can have my diet on point for two or three weeks without losing anything really, then go a couple of weeks of being a little loser and suddenly my weight will have dropped the way i would have expected while being stricter on my food.

Maybe it's because you get down on yourself for being a little loser and don't have the same appetite...

• Advertisement

So did first squat workout and a couple of initial thoughts.
    Had to split over two sessions (am & pm) due to other commitments so did split squats, lunges and steps up and then did squats & front squats. Took about 1 1/2 hours across both sessions so don't think it will be a runner to do in one session. Not sure why it took so long, don't know if it was because there is a couple of single leg exercises so had to do double, i.e. 24 instead of 12 reps.
    If I have to modify it what is the best approach? Also are front squats suppose to be so sore on your wrists??

Also are front squats suppose to be so sore on your wrists??

No. It means you need to loosen your triceps and lats so that you get your elbows up. Your arms aren't up enough meaning more stress on your wrists

Also are front squats suppose to be so sore on your wrists??

No. It means you need to loosen your triceps and lats so that you get your elbows up. Your arms aren't up enough meaning more stress on your wrists
    Thanks, will try that next week.  There seems to be two different grips you can use. I tried to the cross hand one and wasn't stable at all so mainly used the parallel grip. Is one considered better/ easier than the other?

Thanks, will try that next week.  There seems to be two different grips you can use. I tried to the cross hand one and wasn't stable at all so mainly used the parallel grip. Is one considered better/ easier than the other?

Its a matter of comfort. I used use cross arm because couldnt get into a front rack position where my wrists didn't hurt. Personally i prefer parallel because its more stable for me but to each his own.

Its a matter of comfort. I used use cross arm because couldnt get into a front rack position where my wrists didn't hurt. Personally i prefer parallel because its more stable for me but to each his own.
    Yea, defo think I will stick with the parallel and try to get the arm and back muscles looser so can get arms up more to take the strain off my wrists.

Lots of trail and error and feeling things out on new exercise which I think is what I needed to freshen things up abit.

I assume its better to drop/cut back some of the assistance work and keep the three main lifts at current sets/reps if I have reduce the over all time of the workout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

On front squats with wrist pain, I always found it near impossible to use all of my fingers under the bar. I read somewhere to just put your first 2 fingers of each hand. That looses up the wrist and worked a treat for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    On front squats with wrist pain, I always found it near impossible to use all of my fingers under the bar. I read somewhere to just put your first 2 fingers of each hand. That looses up the wrist and worked a treat for me

This.

And remember, the weight of the bar should be on your shoulders. Your fingers are only holding it in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I had a 4 hour layover in an airport today because of a flight delay. Wouldn't it be great if airports had gyms. Even just a room where you could do bodyweight stuff or mobility work (just as long as you had access to a shower afterwards). I'd pay for it anyway.

• Advertisement

I had a 4 hour layover in an airport today because of a flight delay. Wouldn't it be great if airports had gyms. Even just a room where you could do bodyweight stuff or mobility work (just as long as you had access to a shower afterwards). I'd pay for it anyway.

I'd imagine most connecting airports have showers already.
    Just need to figure out how to do bodyweight stuff without getting arrested

Advertisement