Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Adidas have a 30% off sale using code BLACKFRIDAY. Picked myself up a pair of shoes for e62 - Nice!!

Hey Alf, did you see this?

Alf?

Alf?

Alf, theres a sale on adidas.ie. Just so you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

In a nutshell, what are the big differences between the Adipower and Powerlift 3.1 shoes? (besides the price!)

Adipowers, as I understand it, are much more a powerlifting shoe. The sole is more rigid and the heel height is higher (0.75").

The powerlift is more an all-rounder with a lower heel height (0.6") so the sole is not as rigid.

That's it really. I haven't used the Adipowers so I can't say if they're better but I had the Power Perfects which would have had the same heel height as the Adipowers and I found the lower heel height of the Powerlifts worked better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Adipowers, as I understand it, are much more a powerlifting show. The sole is more rigid and the heel height is higher (0.75").

The powerlift is more an all-rounder with a lower heel height (0.6") so the sole is not as rigid.

That's it really. I haven't used the Adipowers so I can't say if they're better but I had the Power Perfects which would have had the same heel height as the Adipowers and I found the lower heel height of the Powerlifts worked better for me.

Much appreciated as always Alf

Hey Alf, did you see this?

Alf?

Alf?

Alf, theres a sale on adidas.ie. Just so you know...

I've been all over that for the last 24 hours.

Fighting myself.

"I already have three pairs" vs "But Christmas is coming..."

According to the Adidas size chart, I'm 9.5 for the Powerlift 3.1.
    Should I go with 9.5 or up a size to 10? Thoughts?

• Advertisement

According to the Adidas size chart, I'm 9.5 for the Powerlift 3.1.
    Should I go with 9.5 or up a size to 10? Thoughts?

Some people say they just go with their normal shoe size. I wear an 11 with Adidas Sambas or similar but I have the Powerlifts in 10. They should be a bit tighter than casual runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

In a nutshell, what are the big differences between the Adipower and Powerlift 3.1 shoes? (besides the price!)

Can't say about the adipowers but I got a pair of Leistung II's and used them yesterday.

Compared to my pair of powerlifts the sole feels narrower in the toe box but firmer. Personally I prefer the narrower shoe as it gives better feedback.

I had a 0.3" heel added to my powerlifts and the Leistung's still have a bigger heel so I can stay more upright.

I've had my powerlifts roughly 2 years now and they still look brand new (they don't smell brand new though) so they're durable enough.

Loving the Leistungs though.

Just goes to show the impact of personal differences. I've found the lower heel helps with my torso angle compared with higher heel.

Lately, I've had tempo squats on the same day as deadlifts so just did them in my flats. I liked how they felt and am now considering squatting in flats full time.

But... 30% off!!!

But... 30% off!!!

LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

He made it look very easy! :eek:

What weight class would he be in if he was competing at the moment? 105kg?

Ye Hes definitely 100+ in that video alright

• Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've had my reeboks for maybe 5 years and they're still fine. Kinda wish they fall apart so I can replace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Just goes to show the impact of personal differences. I've found the lower heel helps with my torso angle compared with higher heel.

My ankle mobility is shocking. My knees can barely go past my toes in flat shoes and being 6' this would mean I'd be doing good morning or super low bar squats.

My shoulder mobility is shocking too.

In fact I think I may be a mannequin that's come to life.

Caliden wrote: »
    My ankle mobility is shocking. My knees can barely go past my toes in flat shoes and being 6' this would mean I'd be doing good morning or super low bar squats.

My shoulder mobility is shocking too.

In fact I think I may be a mannequin that's come to life.

:D

You're same height as me so. I've always worked ankle mobility cos I've longish femurs so I'll naturally be a little less upright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

For ankle mobility, get a lacrosse ball or similar and work it around the soles of your feet with as much pressure as you can for as long as you can stand.

VW 1 wrote: »
    For ankle mobility, get a lacrosse ball or similar and work it around the soles of your feet with as much pressure as you can for as long as you can stand.

What about toe elevated squats for ankle mobility?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Dtp1979 wrote:

No idea on this, the rolling was/is something Hanley always recommended for ankle mobility

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Yes. One of the other ways to skin a cat.

VW 1 wrote: »
    No idea on this, the rolling was/is something Hanley always recommended for ankle mobility

Twas through Hanley that I heard about toe squats too

There are two benefits to the toe squats:

1) It's a loaded ankle stretch

2) They stop your knees from going too far forward, meaning they have to go out and that up your groin and adductors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes. One of the other ways to skin a cat.
    Skinning the cat is more for shoulder mobility. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Cake Man

How would you do toe elevated squats? Put a plate under your toes (I.e. Front of your foot)?

Cake Man wrote: »
    How would you do toe elevated squats? Put a plate under your toes (I.e. Front of your foot)?

Yup. Something under front of your foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

You end up leaning more forward during those and your adductors really light up for the first few reps.

Going back to normal squatting feels much looser though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Anyone ever had a problem with their gluteus medius. How did you work on it? What lifts help?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Anyone ever had a problem with their gluteus medius. How did you work on it? What lifts help?

At a checkup early this year, physio told my my medius was underdeveloped and told me to do bodyweight single leg deadlifts every day. Basically touch my left foot with my right hand and vice versa. I have no idea if it did anything or not.

Fast forward to the last 2 months and I switched from conv to sumo for deadlifts and have changed my squat stance to be wider than before. My glutes are in a near constant state of DOMS so something is being put to work that wasn't before.

At a checkup early this year, physio told my my medius was underdeveloped and told me to do bodyweight single leg deadlifts every day. Basically touch my left foot with my right hand and vice versa. I have no idea if it did anything or not.

Fast forward to the last 2 months and I switched from conv to sumo for deadlifts and have changed my squat stance to be wider than before. My glutes are in a near constant state of DOMS so something is being put to work that wasn't before.

I was thinking of putting romanian deadlifts back in my program. I have a dull ache in my left hip, doctor before told me it was muscular and it rears it's head every few years. I may just go an see a physio to check it but they are super expensive.

I was thinking of putting romanian deadlifts back in my program. I have a dull ache in my left hip, doctor before told me it was muscular and it rears it's head every few years. I may just go an see a physio to check it but they are super expensive.

Yes they are, but think of it as an investment in your health and it doesn't seem so expensive after all.

Yes they are, but think of it as an investment in your health and it doesn't seem so expensive after all.

Of course you are right. I will try the adjustments thanks.

• Advertisement

Do you have private health insurance? You may be able to claim back some of the cost of a physio depending on your policy.

Advertisement