Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Anyone ever had a problem with their gluteus medius. How did you work on it? What lifts help?

Clam shell and hip abduction. You can do those at home. Involve resistance bands when needed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Do you have private health insurance? You may be able to claim back some of the cost of a physio depending on your policy.

Or if you don't, you can claim tax relief at 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Do you have private health insurance? You may be able to claim back some of the cost of a physio depending on your policy.

Or if you don't, you can claim tax relief at 20%.
    Yeah and if you do you can still claim 20% of the difference between the cost and what your insurance covered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

At a checkup early this year, physio told my my medius was underdeveloped and told me to do bodyweight single leg deadlifts every day. Basically touch my left foot with my right hand and vice versa. I have no idea if it did anything or not.

Fast forward to the last 2 months and I switched from conv to sumo for deadlifts and have changed my squat stance to be wider than before. My glutes are in a near constant state of DOMS so something is being put to work that wasn't before.

Thanks, last night I did sumos, single leg kettlebell deadlifts, and used the hip machine. It seems to be a bit better. I only go to the gym three times a week so I hope that is enough to sort out the aching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Is it worth paying for a weightlifting membership initially to learn the movements (snatch/c&j) ?

Having a look around Sandyford and there's Crossfit Ireland for 150/month.
    Half considering doing it for a month to get an idea of where to start and get the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Caliden wrote: »
    Is it worth paying for a weightlifting membership initially to learn the movements (snatch/c&j) ?

Having a look around Sandyford and there's Crossfit Ireland for 150/month.
    Half considering doing it for a month to get an idea of where to start and get the basics.

Call them up and make it extremely clear that you only want to learn the classic lifts. Don't do what I did and sign up to one of these things and spend ages doing burpees and box jumps.

Also, does anyone here own a home gym? What were the initial start up costs and do you think it was worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

BadBannana wrote: »
    Also, does anyone here own a home gym? What were the initial start up costs and do you think it was worthwhile?

I don't know if I would call it a home gym however I do work out at home. I have two adjustable dumb bells, a bar and weights, bench and a basic station that I can do bench, squats and dips.

All in probably cost me about €300 and a bit more since for more weights. I got the bar and all the weights second hand.

I like the flexibility of working out at home however it does have its drawbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Cake Man

TRS30 wrote: »
    I like the flexibility of working out at home however it does have its drawbacks.
    I'd say it's a big time saver alright but I'm guessing limited equipment and capacity? Would you say there's much to be said for working out in an environment with other people or prefer alone?

Cake Man wrote: »
    I'd say it's a big time saver alright but I'm guessing limited equipment and capacity? Would you say there's much to be said for working out in an environment with other people or prefer alone?

As I said it has its positives and negatives. Personally, I like working out alone as I get less distracted. Before when I was in a gym I would be looking at what was going on around me. I also like being able to work out whenever suits me which is massive for me with two young kids. I do miss not having a wide variety of equipment however you can do a lot of different things with what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

I don't know if I would call it a home gym however I do work out at home. I have two adjustable dumb bells, a bar and weights, bench and a basic station that I can do bench, squats and dips.

All in probably cost me about €300 and a bit more since for more weights. I got the bar and all the weights second hand.

Same here, started out when I was about 13 (a while back ;)), current list;
    Bench including preacher attachment (no rak yet)
    big selection of free weights
    Straight bar
    Ez Bar
    combi bar (great for french press/skulls)
    adjustable dumbells
    combi cable gym
    treadmill
    exercise bike (cheapo and gathering dust lol)
    various bands
    couple of kettlebells

Covers a wide range for me anyway, the mrs is less enthusiastic though lol.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »

Same here, started out when I was about 13 (a while back ;)), current list;
    Bench including preacher attachment (no rak yet)
    big selection of free weights
    Straight bar
    Ez Bar
    combi bar (great for french press/skulls)
    adjustable dumbells
    combi cable gym
    treadmill
    exercise bike (cheapo and gathering dust lol)
    various bands
    couple of kettlebells

Covers a wide range for me anyway, the mrs is less enthusiastic though lol.
    That is some amount of kit to have at home! Wouldn't have room for a quarter of that stuff. Since moving during the summer the shed can only store what I have, not enough room to actually work out so have to do that outside. Been a bit chilly the last few nights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

For those who have competed, what kind of way would you deload prior to a competition? Would you typically drop volume, intensity or both? And by how much roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Kinda depends on what your current training is like. Last few weeks before the comp and you should reduce the assistance and the number of lift variations and do more of the comp lifts.

An ok rule of thumb is to warm up to do a single for your SBDs on the Friday or Monday* before a comp, then do everything up to your last warmup on the Wednesday before the comp at the weekend. The exact time that you do your openers before the comp would vary from lift to lift. Doing your opener bench as close as the Monday before is fine, but deadlift should be further away. When to do your last squat would probably be up to you.

FYI, I'm the worst at deloading. I deload so much, I show up undertrained. Someone else should have a better answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Take the comp as a Saturday.

I would take my last training day on the Monday and do all three openers on that day ... typically a 2 hour session with no assistance work etc.

Before that I would so a last heavy deadlift 3 weeks out (2nd attempt), last heavy squat 2 weeks out and last heavy bench on same week as the last squat.

Typically the last four weeks to competition will be just the comp lifts with decreasing amount of accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

That is some amount of kit to have at home! Wouldn't have room for a quarter of that stuff. Since moving during the summer the shed can only store what I have, not enough room to actually work out so have to do that outside. Been a bit chilly the last few nights!!

Ah, lots of nooks and crannies to hide it all, mrs gave up giving out about it ages ago. Still been told a load has to be moved for the Christmas ;) but am in the process of converting the box room over to a mini gym, might post a pic when it's done.

How does this look?

Day 1
    Bulgarina split squat
    kettle bell swing
    Hammer Curls & shoulder press
    Back pulls
    Bicep pulls
    3 body weight back strengthening exercises Bird Dog etc.,

Day 2

Bench
    Lateral lunges
    Back pull
    Bicep pull
    Abs

Day3
    Sumo Deadlift
    Back pull
    Shoulder dumbell work out
    Hammer curls
    Abs

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

How does this look?

Day 1
    Bulgarina split squat
    kettle bell swing
    Back pulls
    Bicep pulls

Day 2

Bench
    Lateral lunges
    Back pull
    Bicep pull
    Abs

Day3
    Sumo Deadlift
    Back pull
    Hammer curls
    Abs

What is a bicep pull and a back pull?
    What kind of sets/reps have you planned?
    Why lateral lunges?
    How is "shoulder press & hammer curl" on day 2 different to "shoulder workout followed by hammer curl"
    Why isolation for your biceps but not your triceps?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

How does this look?

Day 1
    Bulgarina split squat
    kettle bell swing
    Back pulls
    Bicep pulls

Day 2

Bench
    Lateral lunges
    Back pull
    Bicep pull
    Abs

Day3
    Sumo Deadlift
    Back pull
    Hammer curls
    Abs

Looks like you really want big biceps.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Brian? wrote: »

How else is anybody supposed to know you lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Brian? wrote: »

How else is anybody supposed to know you lift?
    Invisible Lat Syndrome

• Advertisement

BadBannana wrote: »
    What is a bicep pull and a back pull?
    What kind of sets/reps have you planned?
    Why lateral lunges?
    How is "shoulder press & hammer curl" on day 2 different to "shoulder workout followed by hammer curl"
    Why isolation for your biceps but not your triceps?

Sorry I meant face pull, bicep curl using the weight machine.
    I have inflamed my hip (going to physio to find out what is exactly wrong so avoiding barbell squats.
    Shoulder press or other shoulder exercise.
    I sort of feel that bench covers triceps but that's why I'm here to look for advice it may be a rubbish program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

How does this look?

Day 1
    Bulgarina split squat
    kettle bell swing
    Back pulls
    Bicep pulls

Day 2

Bench
    Lateral lunges
    Back pull
    Bicep pull
    Abs

Day3
    Sumo Deadlift
    Back pull
    Hammer curls
    Abs

Try it for a a few weeks,you will know if it is effective soon enough.Making mistakes is an effective way of learning.

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Try it for a a few weeks,you will know if it is effective soon enough.Making mistakes is an effective way of learning.

Okay well thanks for giving a non snarky reply compared with the above.

How does this look?

Day 1
    Bulgarina split squat
    kettle bell swing
    Back pulls
    Bicep pulls

Day 2

Bench
    Lateral lunges
    Back pull
    Bicep pull
    Abs

Day3
    Sumo Deadlift
    Back pull
    Hammer curls
    Abs

There's not enough pulling or back work. The BW exercises (other than bird dog, what do you include?) are fine but you could stand to do more posterior chain work.

What is the nature of the hip injury that makes you avoid squats but do split squats, KB swings, sumo DL and lateral lunges?

There's not enough pulling or back work. The BW exercises (other than bird dog, what do you include?) are fine but you could stand to do more posterior chain work.

What is the nature of the hip injury that makes you avoid squats but do split squats, KB swings, sumo DL and lateral lunges?

I'm seeing a physio on Wednesday above my hip area feels inflamed, tender, there has always been a marked imbalance in my squat with one leg being very dominant over the other, I've tried to fix this by strengthening the 'weaker' leg, it hasn't worked the advice I got over the years from p.t.'s, physio, doctor ranged from ignoring it to, just put a plate underneath your foot, take up swimming, or it's fine my friend has the same problem and they are grand so now I need to seek proper help. The pain has gone away but I'm still aware of it and I think I need to use lighter weights in a more controlled movement.

I'm seeing a physio on Wednesday above my hip area feels inflamed, tender, there has always been a marked imbalance in my squat with one leg being very dominant over the other, I've tried to fix this by strengthening the 'weaker' leg, it hasn't worked the advice I got over the years from p.t.'s, physio, doctor ranged from ignoring it to, just put a plate underneath your foot, take up swimming, or it's fine my friend has the same problem and they are grand so now I need to seek proper help. The pain has gone away but I'm still aware of it and I think I need to use lighter weights in a more controlled movement.

Im not suggesting its the same but my squat can look lop-sided if i haven't done enough mobility work and it usually happens on the same side. Some proper mobility drills and Im fine. But hopefully the physio gets to the root of it because frankly it sounds like everyone that has addressed it previously has been incompetent to varying degrees if what you've said above is the sum of their advice.

Im not suggesting its the same but my squat can look lop-sided if i haven't done enough mobility work and it usually happens on the same side. Some proper mobility drills and Im fine. But hopefully the physio gets to the root of it because frankly it sounds like everyone that has addressed it previously has been incompetent to varying degrees if what you've said above is the sum of their advice.

I'm pretty sure it's hip bursitis by what I've read so the physio will be able to help. I asked the doc, physio and p.t for advice when my hip was fine and the symptoms were just a memory, as it flares up from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcStX-6lkIR/?taken-by=sonnywebstergb

This is gas. Mr. 'Ban the dopers for life' gets caught and uses the 'ol "dodgy supps" excuse to direct the blame away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Does anybody buy their meat from the butcher using the interweb?

I like the look of these guys: http://www.thepremiumbutcher.ie/
    Has anyone ever ordered from them before?

I'm thinking it might be worth trying out because I inevitably never buy enough meat when I do my weekly shop at the weekend, so ordering online will save me the hassle of going during the week. Plus it should lessen the likelihood of getting a takeaway when I am too lazy to go to the shop to buy said meat.

They also have cuts of meat that I can't find in local butchers/supermarkets here in Galway, e.g. beef brisket and pork shoulder.

^^^
    Jesus I sound like a shill :o
    I have no affiliation whatsoever with the butcher that I linked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Looks like they finally got the Irish lifters on to http://www.openpowerlifting.org/.

Advertisement