Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Turns out I have anterior pelvic tilt so the physio gave me exercises to try and correct it, it's frustrating feels like I've been almost waisting my time for months in the gym building what I thought was a good base, I watched lots of instructional videos have had people watch me squat/ deadlift and I thought I had good form but obviously not. Anyone else have experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Turns out I have anterior pelvic tilt so the physio gave me exercises to try and correct it, it's frustrating feels like I've been almost waisting my time for months in the gym building what I thought was a good base, I watched lots of instructional videos have had people watch me squat/ deadlift and I thought I had good form but obviously not. Anyone else have experience of this?

Yep, I had crippling back cramps. Literally mid football match I'd struggle to walk.
    A shedload of hamstring, psoas stretches later along with consciously holding a better body position, the problem went away.
    It's no big deal so long as you consistently work at it

Yep, I had crippling back cramps. Literally mid football match I'd struggle to walk.
    A shedload of hamstring, psoas stretches later along with consciously holding a better body position, the problem went away.
    It's no big deal so long as you consistently work at it

How long did it take you to get back to normal. I've started doing the exercises and I'm already struggling with the half single leg squats, I have never done any mobility work despite Transform and others on here always saying do more mobility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I have (and still have) anterior pelvic tilt. My hamstring used to cramp by just flexing it until I started regular mobility work. I found working on the piriformis and hip flexors worked even though initially I thought it was just tight hamstrings. My mobility in the hips has improved 10 fold.

I just do the below stretches 2 or 3 times per week:

There's a boat load of information out there, much of which conflicting. I found that the above videos worked best for me. Another one which is fairly popular to correct anterior pelvic tilt is 90/90 breathing but to be honest I didn't notice any effect after several weeks of doing it regularly.

Doing this work regularly is the hard part, it's much easier just reading and watching youtube vids than actually settling in to do this. It's the least sexy work ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I've APT- nothing causing cramp but it's something that I've had from sitting at a desk all day causing poor posture.

The biggest problem for me is being consistent in the exercises required surrounding hip mobility and general posture. I play GAA too so I constantly feel like I'm just treading water - I'm doing good work, play a match and feel bollíxed after it, most likely due to the habits of how I run, solo, taking hits in awkward positions etc.

I was also reading conflicting reports online re: Squats and Deadlifts - namely, stay away from them if you've APT

Personally, I think they're helping me once the weight isn't too large, they're definitely helping my core and deadlifts are definitely helping to strengthen my lower back. That said - if you want to fix APT...I think you 100% have to do pilates. It's core work, it's makes you feel more limber, I can't recommend it enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

D'Agger wrote: »
    I've APT- nothing causing cramp but it's something that I've had from sitting at a desk all day causing poor posture.

The biggest problem for me is being consistent in the exercises required surrounding hip mobility and general posture. I play GAA too so I constantly feel like I'm just treading water - I'm doing good work, play a match and feel bollíxed after it, most likely due to the habits of how I run, solo, taking hits in awkward positions etc.

I was also reading conflicting reports online re: Squats and Deadlifts - namely, stay away from them if you've APT

Personally, I think they're helping me once the weight isn't too large, they're definitely helping my core and deadlifts are definitely helping to strengthen my lower back. That said - if you want to fix APT...I think you 100% have to do pilates. It's core work, it's makes you feel more limber, I can't recommend it enough.

You should definitely squat and dead so long as your APT is not present while performing those exercises

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

How long did it take you to get back to normal. I've started doing the exercises and I'm already struggling with the half single leg squats, I have never done any mobility work despite Transform and others on here always saying do more mobility.

It's years back now so I can't say exactly but it's started to improve after a couple of weeks and was nearish gone within a few months.
    Basically what happened was that I after giving up jiu jitsu my flexibility went and things started tightening and pulling bodyparts in directions it shouldn't go.
    I understand why they'd say not to deadlift but if anything if you deadlift with rock solid body position (no monkey butt and engaged abs) it would help. A bad position could wreck you though.
    Even now I consciously have to correct pelvic position regularly but it's no biggie

It's years back now so I can't say exactly but it's started to improve after a couple of weeks and was nearish gone within a few months.
    Basically what happened was that I after giving up jiu jitsu my flexibility went and things started tightening and pulling bodyparts in directions it shouldn't go.
    I understand why they'd say not to deadlift but if anything if you deadlift with rock solid body position (no monkey butt and engaged abs) it would help. A bad position could wreck you though.
    Even now I consciously have to correct pelvic position regularly but it's no biggie

The physio looked at my positioning for the deadlift and squat, just body weight in the office and advised me not to for the moment. I'm going to the gym later and I'm going to have a look at my form in the mirror but I am erring on the side of caution. My scaps are out of position as well apparently, it's all a bit messed up at the moment pilates classes seems like a great idea if I can find a class mostly yoga around my way.

Physio gave me four exercise:
    Clams.
    Quad stretch.
    Single leg bridges.
    Single leg half squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see Tesco are doing the Fulfil selection boxes for €8 - €4 off in case anyone is looking for a gift for the instahun/guy in their life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Today is Annual Calf DOMS Day.

For me at least. Underestimated them yet again.

• Advertisement

foam rolling and crying

foam rolling and crying

bluewolf wrote: »
    foam rolling and crying

foam rolling and crying

My calves still in ribbons and not a hope I'll be rolling them cos still tender to toucj

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Fage Total (the 5% fat version) and muesli mixed together is flippin' fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

BadBannana wrote: »
    You should definitely squat and dead so long as your APT is not present while performing those exercises

True, I was doing them last year in a group setting with a PT and made sure he thought my form was okay...that said, if you have APT and you're doing some exercises like squats or even in Pilates when they say things like 'engage your core for this movement' - you tend to not have a clue because you're weak in the core or pelvic muscles required.

There are definitely days where I know my form isn't great for Squats or deads so I won't press on. I tend to make sure I'm properly warmed up. Do a few minutes on the elliptical then pilates type stretches, pigeon stretch for glutes, some band work - make sure your core and glutes are firing before lifting, seems to work for me.

Yesterday I decided to go back and give a solid month to the Foundation program - have the book and had done it before but consistency was my problem. Going to try do it 4/5 times per week now as it only takes 15 minutes really.

Anybody here use foundation? Have to say it definitely looks to stretch & strengthen your mid back / shoulders / scap area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057311400#92687179
    So just about to finish up the first 6 week cycle of Hanley's programme above. With the next couple of weeks that's in it, I wouldn't be able to start a second cycle till the new year so what is best to do for the next couple of weeks so as not to lose any strength. Will have less time for each workout as well so was thinking of just doing the three main lifts twice a week and something like 80% 1RM 5x5.
    Sounds ok or any other suggestions?

TRS30 wrote: »
    So just about to finish up the first 6 week cycle of Hanley's programme above. With the next couple of weeks that's in it, I wouldn't be able to start a second cycle till the new year so what is best to do for the next couple of weeks so as not to lose any strength. Will have less time for each workout as well so was thinking of just doing the three main lifts twice a week and something like 80% 1RM 5x5.

Yeah you can just drop back the intensity (%) and do a 5x5 with some different accessory exercises. I would be inclined to do variation of the three main lifts for the couple of weeks, if only just for the novelty value, e.g. front squat for back squat, RDLs for deadlifts, close grip bench or incline bench for bench. If you're doing any of those suggested variations as Bs or Cs already, there are other options, e.g. snatch grip RDLs.

So just about to finish up the first 6 week cycle of Hanley's programme above. With the next couple of weeks that's in it, I wouldn't be able to start a second cycle till the new year so what is best to do for the next couple of weeks so as not to lose any strength. Will have less time for each workout as well so was thinking of just doing the three main lifts twice a week and something like 80% 1RM 5x5.

Yeah you can just drop back the intensity (%) and do a 5x5 with some different accessory exercises. I would be inclined to do variation of the three main lifts for the couple of weeks, if only just for the novelty value, e.g. front squat for back squat, RDLs for deadlifts, close grip bench or incline bench for bench. If you're doing any of those suggested variations as Bs or Cs already, there are other options, e.g. snatch grip RDLs.
    Good idea, can try out some different lifts.
    Also, anyone got a recommendation for a good belt? Have never used one before however really felt it in my lower back when doing heavy (for me) DL's last night.

I like the Strengthshop belt. 10mm would do fine.

This one is a double prong:

https://www.strengthshop.ie/belts/strengthshop-10mm-double-prong-buckle-belt.html

The lever is an option as well but a little more expensive. As a belt, there's no difference.

Edit: just to note, a belt won't necessarily protect your back if the reason your lower back is feeling it is poor form. It will help you brace harder. That may help you keep your form from breaking down but it won't help just by having it on if the problem is something more fundamental.

Thanks Alf, will get on to Santa!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Thanks Alf, will get on to Santa!

I posted a similar question a year ago. I ended up getting a cheap double prong belt off amazon which was fine and still is. I recently upgraded to an inzer lever belt
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/100237641

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I also picked up a cheap one recently just to try it out before investing - I got the bulkpowders one with a 35% off code (these are regular enough so wait for one) and I was getting a few other bits so there was free delivery - so less than €20. I figured even if I decided to upgrade to a proper IPF one I could use it as a spare at that price.
    https://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/weightlifting-belt.html

I find it grand but have never used anything better so can't compare. Feels good quality/firm enough though for the pricepoint.

Whatever is comfortable and is actually supportive. Strengthshop worked for me and I'll get a long time out of it. I just didnt go full leather, like Inzer, cos of the discomfort of breaking it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Whatever is comfortable and is actually supportive. Strengthshop worked for me and I'll get a long time out of it. I just didnt go full leather, like Inzer, cos of the discomfort of breaking it in.

I can’t say I found it uncomfortable at all. It’s a 10mm belt I bought but it measures 12mm. Maybe I have too much natural padding around my mid section that stops the belt hurting

I love watching hook grip oly videos. The slowmo is great and seeing awesome technique

My local supermarket has Avondale protein milk on offer sometimes as it goes out of date it's 50g of protein. I suppose it has the same profile of the avonmore http://www.proteinmilk.ie/protein-milk-information/ Are these milks okay to use they seem better than the standard protein drinks.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I love watching hook grip oly videos. The slowmo is great and seeing awesome technique

Yes, I just watched some of the action from Annaheim there on youtube Rebecca Koha is amazing, and Valentin makes it look like a complete doss.

My local supermarket has Avondale protein milk on offer sometimes as it goes out of date it's 50g of protein. I suppose it has the same profile of the avonmore http://www.proteinmilk.ie/protein-milk-information/ Are these milks okay to use they seem better than the standard protein drinks.

What do you mean by standard protein drinks? Shakes made with whey?

What do you mean by standard protein drinks? Shakes made with whey?

Drinks like: Sci-MX Pro 2 Go Ready To Drink, Chocolate 500ml although there seems to be a lot more fat in the Avonmore milk.

Drinks like: Sci-MX Pro 2 Go Ready To Drink, Chocolate 500ml although there seems to be a lot more fat in the Avonmore milk.

There's more protein and fewer calories in the Sci-MX drink.

But my usual assumption is they're mostly muck so I was a bit surprised that it was less rubbish than I had thought.

• Advertisement

There's more protein and fewer calories in the Sci-MX drink.

But my usual assumption is they're mostly muck so I was a bit surprised that it was less rubbish than I had thought.

A lot more expensive though. I hate whey protein I make smoothies with pea protein now but still takes ages to drink.

Advertisement