Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

cloudatlas wrote: »
    A lot more expensive though. I hate whey protein I make smoothies with pea protein now but still takes ages to drink.

Protein powder isn't a necessity though... it could be more satisfying eating more of the protein-rich foods that you actually like the taste of :)

I bought a half a roast chicken from a deli for like 3 euro before. Sorted
    I'd eat one right now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Protein powder isn't a necessity though... it could be more satisfying eating more of the protein-rich foods that you actually like the taste of :)

True but convenience is the staple of modern living.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

bluewolf wrote: »
    I bought a half a roast chicken from a deli for like 3 euro before. Sorted
    I'd eat one right now

Half a chicken? That lacks commitment.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    Half a chicken? That lacks commitment.

Seconded.

Buy a full one and see how you get on. If you only manage half, so be it.

But at least you tried.

Fail to prepare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

A colleague mentioned they were thinking of doing an online PT course, and asked what I thought of it

€1,500 for online and one day of workshops seems steep - personally I think it would be the kind of thing I would need more hands-on/face to face content to have the confidence to be training people myself, but I guess it's all about the brand! Is AOFAQ recognised widely here in Ireland? I am only familiar with REPS but advised my colleague to check it out anyway to make sure it will get them insurance etc.

https://make2017amazing.mykajabi.com/p/oh-fitness-pt-Institute

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Yes, I just watched some of the action from Annaheim there on youtube Rebecca Koha is amazing, and Valentin makes it look like a complete doss.

just saw valentin now!!
    look at that, straight under the bar, no messin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihOebktN5dA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

A colleague mentioned they were thinking of doing an online PT course, and asked what I thought of it

€1,500 for online and one day of workshops seems steep - personally I think it would be the kind of thing I would need more hands-on/face to face content to have the confidence to be training people myself, but I guess it's all about the brand! Is AOFAQ recognised widely here in Ireland? I am only familiar with REPS but advised my colleague to check it out anyway to make sure it will get them insurance etc.

https://make2017amazing.mykajabi.com/p/oh-fitness-pt-Institute

It's the type of yoke where any old clown who's done about 37 bicep curls walks in, passes any 'tests' they have, pays the fee and is now a certified a "Personal Trainer". My views on PT'ing as a whole are controversial around here, but even within that realm there are more legitimate certifications out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Seconded.

Buy a full one and see how you get on. If you only manage half, so be it.

But at least you tried.

Fail to prepare...

That reminds me of when my brother returned from a trip to New York and I asked him what he thought of the place. He complained that restaurants over there relied far to much on quantity over quality..... He said this to me as he started to demolish an entire chicken

This shít is cray cray...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc2QyiKAzZa/

• Advertisement

Holy **** he got back up again. Was it white lighted do we know

I'd have given it flashing lights and a disco ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

He'd never have gotten it if the music had stayed on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I've seen this happen before, and had it happen to me too many times. Even if you stand up it's a no-lift as knees touching the floor is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is there a proper official size for plates from ground to centre?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Is there a proper official size for plates from ground to centre?

Largest plates should be no more than 45cm in diameter in IPF and WPC anyway.

Most of the calibrated plates used by main feds would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Largest plates should be no more than 45cm in diameter in IPF and WPC anyway.

Most of the calibrated plates used by main feds would be the same.

I’m measured my plates today. The biggest is 220mm to the centre. I usually use these first and the the slightly smaller 200 ones next. Makes unracking the bar a lot easier after deadlifts. I was just checking that these weren’t too big and giving myself an advantage I wouldn’t have if I ever used other plates

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m measured my plates today. The biggest is 220mm to the centre. I usually use these first and the the slightly smaller 200 ones next. Makes unracking the bar a lot easier after deadlifts. I was just checking that these weren’t too big and giving myself an advantage I wouldn’t have if I ever used other plates

Sounds like fake plates tbh. 20s are probably 10kg with that diameter.

Psa: check if your barbell is loose and rolly before lifting :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'm certain something like this was asked here recently but what's the story with bringing protein powder (or any supplements that are in powder form) overseas? I got a gift of a 1kg bag of whey isolate from myprotein and I won't have it gone through by the time I fly back overseas in the next week. Would seem wasteful to leave it at home. I was going to pack it in the suitcase but would be worried I'll be pulled on it in the airports.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cake Man wrote: »
    I'm certain something like this was asked here recently but what's the story with bringing protein powder (or any supplements that are in powder form) overseas? I got a gift of a 1kg bag of whey isolate from myprotein and I won't have it gone through by the time I fly back overseas in the next week. Would seem wasteful to leave it at home. I was going to pack it in the suitcase but would be worried I'll be pulled on it in the airports.

It’s nothing to worry about. It’s protein powder, not drugs.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Yeah should be alright unless Neil Francis is on security at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Yeah should be alright unless Neil Francis is on security at the airport.

But if he is there and you also have creatine, you're going down for life

But if he is there and you also have creatine, you're going down for life

But your life will be short because of the catastrophic organ failure.

So, have had a bit more time in the gym the last week or two (plus the gym is quieter) so have been adding in one or two exercises I "should" have been doing but have neglected. Have always stupidly neglected rear delt work, so have been giving rear delt flyes a go with very, very, very light weight - 3 sec pause at the top and 3-4 second eccentric. Jaysus, the back of my shoulders actually start twitching/shaking madly for the last few reps - is this something I should be worried about (e.g. a sign my form is bad) or just a sign that I clearly should have been doing them before now!?? :o

Thanks for any advice guys

So, have had a bit more time in the gym the last week or two (plus the gym is quieter) so have been adding in one or two exercises I "should" have been doing but have neglected. Have always stupidly neglected rear delt work, so have been giving rear delt flyes a go with very, very, very light weight - 3 sec pause at the top and 3-4 second eccentric. Jaysus, the back of my shoulders actually start twitching/shaking madly for the last few reps - is this something I should be worried about (e.g. a sign my form is bad) or just a sign that I clearly should have been doing them before now!?? :o

Thanks for any advice guys

Likely just shaking due to the fact they're not used to it.

If you have a red resistance band, incorporate band pull aparts into your day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've neglected my back and rear delts for the last few months too. I'm going to be doing more lat work but plan on doing some medial/rear delt work a few times a week. Have rear delt flyes, thumbs down lateral raises, front plate raises and BTN presses planned. I look forward to the shaking too.

Likely just shaking due to the fact they're not used to it.

If you have a red resistance band, incorporate band pull aparts into your day as well.

Thanks - oh I actually do heaps of band pull aparts actually as part of my warm up routine, so I guess thinks could have been worse :o But still, my rear delts will be getting lots of attention henceforth!

Thanks - oh I actually do heaps of band pull aparts actually as part of my warm up routine, so I guess thinks could have been worse :o But still, my rear delts will be getting lots of attention henceforth!

Slowing it down probably made it worse. I used get that with lightish Cuban presses (a la Joe DeFranco) before. Face pulls are good to get in as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

https://www.aldi.ie

Aldi fitness sale on at the moment.

Advertisement