Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Pissing rain so attempted a home workout with my new kettlebell and resistance bands. Love those clean and presses for high reps.

Felt good though I'd love if I had room for a squat rack and all the gucci gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057311400#92687179
    So I'm going to start on a second 6 week block of Hanley's programme above.
    He says to add 5kg after 6 weeks and redo. Is that 5kg for bench, dead & squat? Obviously that's a much higher % increase for bench than the other two.
    Would block pulls be a suitable replacement from RDL's or too similar to DL's?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

TRS30 wrote: »
    He says to add 5kg after 6 weeks and redo. Is that 5kg for bench, dead & squat? Obviously that's a much higher % increase for bench than the other two.

Just add the 5kg. It won't make that much of a difference til you hit 90% anyway.

Why do you want to switch out RDLs, out of interest?

Just add the 5kg. It won't make that much of a difference til you hit 90% anyway.

Why do you want to switch out RDLs, out of interest?
    Cheers Alf. Sometimes I over think things!

No specific reason. On your advice I tried a few different variants of lifts over the last couple of weeks and enjoyed the block pulls.

No specific reason. On your advice I tried a few different variants of lifts over the last couple of weeks and enjoyed the block pulls.

Sometimes it's the exercises you don't enjoy that you should be doing...

But you need to think about why you're doing an exercise rather than just doing it because it's a variation. Different exercises will serve different purposes.

• Advertisement

No specific reason. On your advice I tried a few different variants of lifts over the last couple of weeks and enjoyed the block pulls.

Sometimes it's the exercises you don't enjoy that you should be doing...

But you need to think about why you're doing an exercise rather than just doing it because it's a variation. Different exercises will serve different purposes.
    I know what you mean. I have a love/hate (mainly hate) relationship with squats.
    My main goal is to get stronger. So the best exercises to increase my DL. I don't have the knowledge to know if that's RDL's or block pulls.

I know what you mean. I have a love/hate (mainly hate) relationship with squats.
    My main goal is to get stronger. So the best exercises to increase my DL. I don't have the knowledge to know if that's RDL's or block pulls.

I'm not saying don't do them. I'm just saying look into a bit and think about what both work, how they both feel and how they think they will help what you feel limits you.

I'm not trying to be awkward but it helps you understand going forward when you think about how they feel and what you think you need to work on based on where form starts to break down when it breaks down.

I'm not saying don't do them. I'm just saying look into a bit and think about what both work, how they both feel and how they think they will help what you feel limits you.

I'm not trying to be awkward but it helps you understand going forward when you think about how they feel and what you think you need to work on based on where form starts to break down when it breaks down.
    That all makes sense.
    I guess I've really thought about lifting much, I've just done it if that makes sense. I have no idea if my technique is good, bad or indifferent. So I couldn't really tell you where my weaknesses might be. I probably need to do a bit of research on different exercises to see what they all focus on and then try to find out my weaknesses and marry up the two.

That all makes sense.
    I guess I've really thought about lifting much, I've just done it if that makes sense. I have no idea if my technique is good, bad or indifferent. So I couldn't really tell you where my weaknesses might be. I probably need to do a bit of research on different exercises to see what they all focus on and then try to find out my weaknesses and marry up the two.

I know exactly what you mean. And you could do block pulls or RDLs and either may help, to be perfectly honest. But it's just about trying to get a handle on what might be more effective for you.

I'd also record your lifts, particularly squats and deadlifts. You'll get a very objective view of what they look like as opposed to just what they feel like.

It would stand to you. You'll notice things that look good and things that should be better. Or maybe just that your form is flawless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Got that pullup bar from Aldi. It's half the price of the Iron Gym one and it works pretty well in the few I did to test out. I just hope it doesn't tear my door frame apart like the ****ty one I got from Singapore that you had to screw into the door

• Advertisement

That all makes sense.
    I guess I've really thought about lifting much, I've just done it if that makes sense. I have no idea if my technique is good, bad or indifferent. So I couldn't really tell you where my weaknesses might be. I probably need to do a bit of research on different exercises to see what they all focus on and then try to find out my weaknesses and marry up the two.

I know exactly what you mean. And you could do block pulls or RDLs and either may help, to be perfectly honest. But it's just about trying to get a handle on what might be more effective for you.

I'd also record your lifts, particularly squats and deadlifts. You'll get a very objective view of what they look like as opposed to just what they feel like.

It would stand to you. You'll notice things that look good and things that should be better. Or maybe just that your form is flawless :)
    Been thinking about videoing my lifts so will rope the missus into doing it and might even post them up!

What is the best angle to do for DL and squat? Head on, side on, both?

If by flawless you mean like a frog in a blender then yea lets call it flawless :)

Been thinking about videoing my lifts so will rope the missus into doing it and might even post them up!

What is the best angle to do for DL and squat? Head on, side on, both?

If by flawless you mean like a frog in a blender then yea lets call it flawless :)

You can always just prop your phone up against something.

I'd usually record side on to give an idea but maybe up to 30 degrees off side and to the back would be grand.

I prop my phone up against a couple of baby plates and go from the side

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Sets of 5 @ ~70% or sets of 3 @ 80% are the best ways to show up any technical deficiencies IMO. One from the side and one from front/behind also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Baby plates can be at a premium in my gym, so generally stick my phone standing inside my shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I am a big fan of bulk powders but I see they have launched a new WMN line today with the usual marketing gumph :mad: (and higher prices than their standard "non-female" products). I hope people don't get taken in by it at this time of year but, I guess it's just marketing so you can't blame them if it works for their bottom line

https://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/wmn

"*LEAN SHAKE™ contains Glucomannan which, in the context of an energy restricted diet (:rolleyes:), contributes to weight loss."

"Every girl wants to look and feel their best, and I’m no different. I take 1 capsule of RADIANCE CAPSULES™ every morning when I wake up. It’s become a bit of a ritual now and it means I always start the day with a smile."

Oh how I wish popping a vitamin pill could always make you smile....

radiance capsules
    hahaha

Maintenance of normal skin
    Supports normal hair
    Helps with normal nails
    only for normal people! and only to stay normal!!

bluewolf wrote: »
    radiance capsules
    hahaha

only for normal people! and only to stay normal!!

LOL, heaven forbid you don't have normal hair :D They really should have gone for healthy/glowing/alternative fluff term

• Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Decided to open 2018 with Smolov press. Should be fun. Will run it over a 10-14 day week so hopefully arms dont fall off

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    Decided to open 2018 with Smolov press. Should be fun. Will run it over a 10-14 day week so hopefully arms dont fall off

Nice.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

40% off impact whey at myprotein at the moment in case anyone needs to stock up works out at £21.60 for 2.5kg - about €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

I had to shamefully ask a lad for help to open my belt after a set of squats today, couldn't get the buckle to open.

Xmas sickness and hot whiskys have done me no favours I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

VW 1 wrote: »
    I had to shamefully ask a lad for help to open my belt after a set of squats today, couldn't get the buckle to open.

Xmas sickness and hot whiskys have done me no favours I guess.

That's why I moved to a lever belt :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

will56 wrote: »
    That's why I moved to a lever belt :-)

I find being fat helps too, my belt is ready to pop at any minute.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

40% off impact whey at myprotein at the moment in case anyone needs to stock up works out at £21.60 for 2.5kg - about €25.

Nice

5kg of chock protein for 50 euro

Free delivery over 60

Thanks Caviar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

VW 1 wrote:

I've moved to use half the buckle holder. I'll have to get the screw driver out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

He wore gloves.

What a wimp.

Should you be able to lift the same weight/reps for block pulls as conventional DL?

• Advertisement

Should you be able to lift the same weight/reps for block pulls as conventional DL?

Depends. A yes/no won't apply to everyone. I used find block pulls harder.

It can depend on, amongst other things, what your weaknesses are in your DL.

Just work up to a weight where you can do the prescribed sets reps that is shy of technical breakdown. If you're grinding out reps when form has broken down, then you're not getting the benefit you want.

Advertisement