Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

TRS30 wrote: »
    Should you be able to lift the same weight/reps for block pulls as conventional DL?

The expectation for most people is that they will lift more, however for years mine was weaker. Basically I was using just my quads to generate momentum and blast through the lift.
    Now that I can use my glutes and my hamstrings I can load much more weight onto them and I'm stronger on all variations of partial deads compared to regular deads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Should you be able to lift the same weight/reps for block pulls as conventional DL?
    Probably more tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Confession time.........just realised it wasn't block pulls at all I was doing. It was deficit deadlifts. I was standing on the block not the weights!! Feel like a right numpty. Block is about 2 inches thick so assume this should be harder?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

What is the best oil to put in a protein shake to aid with meeting my calorie intake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What is the best oil to put in a protein shake to aid with meeting my calorie intake?

Jesus you must be hard up if you're using oil to meet calories! Honestly I don't think it matters. Just a tea spoon of whatever in.

• Advertisement

U could make no-bake protein bars with oats and a load of nut butter. Doing it at the mo and they are tasty

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Jesus you must be hard up if you're using oil to meet calories! Honestly I don't think it matters. Just a tea spoon of whatever in.

Well I've only just started tracking and discovered that I'm struggling to hit maintenance so just trying to be more aware. Some days I miss breakfast and then I'm in a bit of a bind trying to get in the extra. Lunch is normally chicken salad and fruit, I bought almond butter and bags of nuts. I was thinking of putting the oil in my protein shake.

Well I've only just started tracking and discovered that I'm struggling to hit maintenance so just trying to be more aware. Some days I miss breakfast and then I'm in a bit of a bind trying to get in the extra. Lunch is normally chicken salad and fruit, I bought almond butter and bags of nuts. I was thinking of putting the oil in my protein shake.

Well it is an easy way to add calories but there are tastier ways. Like dumping the salad for any starch source basically.

Well it is an easy way to add calories but there are tastier ways. Like dumping the salad for any starch source basically.

Yea, a sandwich with the extra chicken would be a better option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I disagree. I used to drink shots of really good quality extra virgin olive oil to hit calorie goals. Really good quality olive oil is unbelievably tashty.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    I disagree. I used to drink shots of really good quality extra virgin olive oil to hit calorie goals. Really good quality olive oil is unbelievably tashty.

uwotm8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,631 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've never tracked my calories. But considering I accidentally lost 1.5kg last year while also getting stronger, I figured I was undereating. Made the following yesterday, which is an old favourite of mine:

Whole jar of coconut oil (about 500g? I dunno)
    Two heaped tablespoons of nutella
    Six scoops of chocolate protein powder
    200g bag of ground almonds/almond flakes from the baking aisle
    Two heaped tablespoons of hot chocolate powder
    Porridge oats (initially a handful, but add more later)

Directions: Heat the coconut oil in a pot until it melts. Add the nutella and stir through to soften it. Add the dry ingredients in a bowl, then mix in the wet. Add additional porridge oats until all the coconut oil looks like it has been absorbed. Line a small baking tray with cling film, pour in and leave in the ridge for a few hours to set. Take out and slice into chunks.

It's not really a protein snack, but more like a calorie snack. I've no idea what the macros are but either way, these are more palatable than straight oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    Really good quality olive oil is unbelievably tashty.

I'll say!

sexy-olive-oyl-costume.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I could easily eat one of those little 170g jars of cashew butter in one sitting - 1000 kcals :eek::eek: #selfimposednutbutterbanforagoodreason

Whole jar of coconut oil (about 500g? I dunno) Two heaped teaspoons of nutella Six scoops of chocolate protein powder 200g bag of ground almonds/almond flakes from the baking aisle Porridge oats (initially a handful, but add more later)

This sounds like a few litres of horribleness. 500g of coconut oil!? Surely you mean coconut water or coconut milk because that part alone is 4500 calories....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I could easily eat one of those little 170g jars of cashew butter in one sitting - 1000 kcals :eek::eek: #selfimposednutbutterbanforagoodreason

Cashew butter is the best. Meridian. Great way to add calories too.

I've never tried cashew butter but i love almond butter in stuff. my favourite brownies use it http://www.irishpaleogirl.ie/2013/10/paleo-avocado-and-chocolate-brownies.html
    the bars i made are - melt some milk and peanut butter and honey, mix in with a cup of porridge oats and 2 heaped scoops/60g of protein powder and some cocoa powder, throw in some mixed nuts, mix the lot, freeze, makes 9 servings

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

bluewolf wrote: »
    uwotm8

You’re buying the wrong olive oil.

Or I’m a complete weirdo. I know where my money is going.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Second on the olive oil, not only tasted good but adds brilliant texture to a protein shake, that said JAYSUS what are you not eating??? Find it so easy to overrun not undercut lol, that said I did go through a phase of adding 3 tbsps of peanutbutter to shakes, try it - gawgess!!!

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

This sounds like a few litres of horribleness. 500g of coconut oil!? Surely you mean coconut water or coconut milk because that part alone is 4500 calories....

Nope. Oil. Aside from the greasy residue on your fingers, you wouldn't know how much oil is in it

• Advertisement

Jesus man that's 4500 calories of just oil though. Wtf is your calorie target? And I hope that's all you eat all day...

Wait a minute...I'm an idiot. This is obviously a bar mix. I was thinking it was a massive horrible shake you drank in one go.

Jesus man that's 4500 calories of just oil though. Wtf is your calorie target? And I hope that's all you eat all day...

Wait a minute...I'm an idiot. This is obviously a bar mix. I was thinking it was a massive horrible shake you drank in one go.

Hahaha was wondering why there was confusion.

To be fair, it was in response to a question regarding shakes.

I was thinking it was a massive horrible shake you drank in one go.

No, silly!

The mix goes into coffee and then you drink it because ketogenic weight loss.

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

. I was thinking it was a massive horrible shake you drank in one go.
    coconut oil is solid at room temp. It melts only on very warm days. This is why lots of cinemas use it for popcorn, it has a really nice mouthfeel to it due to it melting a little below body temp.

I melt it and mix with melted high cocoa chocolate and let it set in the fridge in shallow containers. This can then be broken up so it is nice thin chocolate, like easter eggs. It melts in the mouth very nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Confession time.........just realised it wasn't block pulls at all I was doing. It was deficit deadlifts. I was standing on the block not the weights!! Feel like a right numpty. Block is about 2 inches thick so assume this should be harder?!?

Yes that's definitely harder. It's my movement of choice at the moment for building the deadlift

If it's any consolation, you're right.

You are a numpty.

Yes, deficit deadlifts will be harder, more often than not, because of the bigger range of motion.

I prefer them to actual block pulls though. I think I find myself better at getting myself into a better starting position with deficits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone else wishing it was Feb so you can find parking at the gym once the 'New Year, New Me' newbies have dropped off and sanity returns?.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

You are a numpty.

Yes, deficit deadlifts will be harder, more often than not, because of the bigger range of motion.

I prefer them to actual block pulls though. I think I find myself better at getting myself into a better starting position with deficits.

My back angle goes all wrong if i try deficits so i never do them but they are a great exercise if you can do them with good form.

Re block pulls/ regular deadlifts, in theory you should be able to pull more from blocks due to shorter ROM but i have always found im about the same on both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

You are a numpty.

Always nice to have it confirmed :)
    I enjoy them as I feel they work the back and hamstrings harder so I'm getting more out of them. I also feel my DL grip has got much better and only needed straps on the last set at a weight that I know I would have needed them previously for all sets. No idea if this due to deficits at all.
    As I wasn't sure if deficits or RDL would be better for me I did 3 sets of deficits and 2 sets of RDL as one of my main accessory lifts.

Advertisement