Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

TRS30 wrote: »
    As I wasn't sure if deficits or RDL would be better for me I did 3 sets of deficits and 2 sets of RDL as one of my main accessory lifts.

You'd do them for different reasons but I would do either or both and do the full number of sets at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

europeanpowerliftingconference.com being held in Dublin this year - July 21st & 22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

europeanpowerliftingconference.com being held in Dublin this year - July 21st & 22nd

Is that the same crowd as last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Is that the same crowd as last year?

Yep, Gar Benn and Danny Lennon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

• Advertisement

Was anyone at the one last year in Limerick? Was a great line-up iirc. Hopefully the same this time around.

Was anyone at the one last year in Limerick? Was a great line-up iirc. Hopefully the same this time around.

Yep, I was there. Was really good, all 5 speakers really.

Greg Nuckols was Greg Nuckols, really good and detailed. Also demonstrated a reverse grip bench press while wearing flip flops.

LS McClain is possibly the most positive person I have ever witnessed, he spoke mainly on mindset. He was a late replacement for Brett Gibbs.

Bryce Lewis was extremely detailed and knowledgeable, although perhaps not the most natural of public speakers but still able to get his point across. He spoke a lot about psychology and the training process.

Eric Helms spoke about autoregulation and nutrition and weight cutting/bulking, both were really interesting.

Mike Tuscherer spoke on exercise selection and showed off some work for the 1st time there and was very interesting.

There was also a less formal talk the Friday night in Citygym by Screamer Manuel that was really good. He pretty much discussed his entire life to that point and it was very interesting to hear about his mindset.

There was also a BBQ the Saturday night where everyone mingled.

Definitely considering going again this year, currently looking at my budget to see if it will allow it.

OMG people driving me mad lately with saying "you don't need to count calories, you just need to hit your macros"/"I don't agree with counting calories, macro counting works so much better" or my favourite "it doesn't matter how many calories are in it, you need to look at the macros".

Sorry, felt like a rant :o

• Registered Users Posts: 39,392 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

OMG people driving me mad lately with saying "you don't need to count calories, you just need to hit your macros"/"I don't agree with counting calories, macro counting works so much better" or my favourite "it doesn't matter how many calories are in it, you need to look at the macros".

Sorry, felt like a rant :o
    They aren't wrong, you can eat as many calories as you want as long as you don't go over on your macros.

Mellor wrote: »
    They aren't wrong, you can eat as many calories as you want as long as you don't go over on your macros.

You're one of them! :p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Was testing my 1 rm before running Smolov Jr on bench, almost pushed myself off the back of the bench in doing so. On the plus side at least i know im using leg drive, would chalking up the bench be a way to stop myself sliding tho?

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Was testing my 1 rm before running Smolov Jr on bench, almost pushed myself off the back of the bench in doing so. On the plus side at least i know im using leg drive, would chalking up the bench be a way to stop myself sliding tho?

I chalk up my upper back generally before benching and it tends to help; not perfect but there’s definitely a difference. You’d also see some people chalking their ass in competition to try to avoid slipping there also.

The best thing I find is one of my A7 grip T-shirts, although these obviously arent competition legal. Chalk would be a bit less grippy than these. I wouldn’t be going out buying specially or anything though.

Something I’ve seen some people do is put a resistance band on the bench which also seems to help.

I haven't done squats or squat variations in months due to my knee injury.
    Feeling stable enough now, but to avoid stress on the knee I said I'd go low bar instead. (I haven't done low bar is god knows how long).

The results were not pretty. Predictably I felt weak as a kitten, but the low bar position just felt all kinds of wrong. Like uncomfortable, but still without any tension.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Feeling stable enough now, but to avoid stress on the knee I said I'd go low bar instead. (I haven't done low bar is god knows how long).

The results were not pretty. Predictably I felt weak as a kitten, but the low bar position just felt all kinds of wrong. Like uncomfortable, but still without any tension.

It will improve quickly, trust me. How’s the knee?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

That's pretty much how I felt about high bar when I started a block of it after not doing it for a block for a looooong time.

Brian? wrote: »
    [
    It will improve quickly, trust me. How’s the knee?
    Knee feels good. Occasional I can feel it in awkward positions on the ground but never any pain. Back rolling at full intensity now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Knee feels good. Occasional I can feel it in awkward positions on the ground but never any pain. Back rolling at full intensity now.

That’s great. Hope it stays healthy.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Question for anyone with Knowledge of Smolov Jr bench program. How important is it to do day 3 and 4 back to back each week? Anyone reckon it would be an impediment by taking a day in between and stretching the program out by a couple of days?

Also looking ahead to week 3 and im skeptical about my ability to hit all the reps at the guide weights. If im struggling would it make more sense to drop the weight back a touch to hit the sets x reps or lower the number of reps per set (and increase the number of sets to still make up the total number of reps)

Brian? wrote: »

That’s great. Hope it stays healthy.
    Cheers.
    Im hoping I can stay healthy. But I kinda have to accept that there's always an increased injury risk with competition and heavy sparring.

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Question for anyone with Knowledge of Smolov Jr bench program. How important is it to do day 3 and 4 back to back each week? Anyone reckon it would be an impediment by taking a day in between and stretching the program out by a couple of days?

Also looking ahead to week 3 and im skeptical about my ability to hit all the reps at the guide weights. If im struggling would it make more sense to drop the weight back a touch to hit the sets x reps or lower the number of reps per set (and increase the number of sets to still make up the total number of reps)
    I don't think 3 and 4 need to be back to back. Doing it over 8 days, resting every second day is probably ideal.

I did Smolov jr a while back. Slightly modified it to make the last set of every day "+reps"
    So on day 2 for example, you do 90kg 6 x 5, and on the last set you hit 6 or 7 reps.
    It's then mentally easier go for 90kg x 6 on day 1 the following week.

Smolov Jr+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

The layout is intentional as its an overreaching program.

...having said that maybe it won't matter.
    I'd run it as intended unless your schedule doesn't allow.

I think i did sj on tues/thurs/fri/sun
    I tried it on sat/sun for days 3 and 4 last cycle and died on day 4 so i wouldn't do that again. personally

The layout is intentional as its an overreaching program.

...having said that maybe it won't matter.
    I'd run it as intended unless your schedule doesn't allow.

It's intentional, but a weeks also just a convent microcycle to use.
    I honestly think 8 days would be better. But harder to schedule around.

Mon, Weds, Fri, Sun
    Tues, Thurs, Sat, Mon
    Weds, Fri, Sun, Tues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thud

Romaleo 3's in yellow for €120 or Metcon 3's for €70 on Nike.com/ie with "25OFF" code

Thud wrote: »
    Romaleo 3's in yellow for €120 or Metcon 3's for €70 on Nike.com/ie with "25OFF" code

I got a pair of Metcons recently (because never enough shoes obv) and actually really like them for squats as well as all round stuff. Picked them up for €55 in a lifestyle sale so definitely worth a try at that price. Would recommend if you are looking for a good all-rounder. They don't have the heel of the powerlifts, but tbh I find the flat sole works ok for me too.

Given the talk of Smolov and overreaching, there's a really good The Strength Athlete podcast with Mike Zourdos as a guest. Think it's the most recent one.

He didn't talk about Smolov Jr directly but applying what he did say to Smolov Jr, doing each 'week' across 8 days might wouldn't be a bad thing.

Interesting thoughts on how you would use it for meet prep. Gist was 4 weeks of overreaching, short taper and then ~2 weeks of building to heavy singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Can anyone recommend a removable pull up bar? My flatmate says they would use it also so I thought I'd invest in one, we don't own the place though so can't drill holes in the wall unfortunately.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a removable pull up bar? My flatmate says they would use it also so I thought I'd invest in one, we don't own the place though so can't drill holes in the wall unfortunately.

I got one off amazon that just wedges into the door frame, no damage or anything. I'll try look it up

cloudatlas wrote: »

I got one in lidl a while back in the special buys - looks identical to this though
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Sculpture-Total-Upper-Workout/dp/B003H9LK14/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516478992&sr=8-2&keywords=door+frame+pull+up+bar

Just hangs over the door, no screws - hasn't fallen down.... yet anyway :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

I got one in lidl a while back in the special buys - looks identical to this though

Me too, gets constant use for the past couple of years, the pads gave up but the frame is sound.

Advertisement