Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure I am. I think, as the other poster said, I have the belt too low

I'm only offering it as a possibility because when I started using a belt, I didn't breathe enough into the lower part of my lungs and so it was mostly upper...chest would rise and shoulders come up and I wouldn't expand out to fill the belt for bracing against.

It's unlikely that it's too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

For the Second year in a row I've noticed a big jump in gym newbies after Jan payday, much bigger than at the start of the month.
    Is this the same everywhere?

For the Second year in a row I've noticed a big jump in gym newbies after Jan payday, much bigger than at the start of the month.
    Is this the same everywhere?

I'd have thought that was the norm.

Everyone is broke after Christmas. January payday is the real start of the month-long new year resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I'd have thought that was the norm.

Everyone is broke after Christmas. January payday is the real start of the month-long new year resolutions.

Yeah makes sense, up to now though I've been in real cheapo gyms that you could pay your months membership with what you found down the back of the couch.
    Talking of which the Mrs got the deal of the year a few weeks back, 3 months membership and 3 pt sessions for 30 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Hooley crap 50 euros to listen to social influencer/wellness/fitness coaches... sure all their info is already splurged all over the internet...

https://www.ticketweb.ie/event/the-creator-agency-summit-part-royal-dublin-society-tickets/8058495

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

CM24 wrote: »
    Speaking of people who are strong AF, Martin Berkhan from Leangains just made a new post, all about Reverse Pyramid Training.

He deadlifts over 315kg with NO equipment at 89kg bodyweight and like, 6% body fat (apparently natural too) and credits RPT with most of his results.

https://leangains.com/reverse-pyramid-training-guide/

Just fell down a rabbit hole of leangains stuff. That reverse pyramid style training is interesting but I'm very doubtful about such low volume being effective for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Flyefit macken st have got in a safety squat bar which is nice. Old gym used to have one and i loved using it. given my general lack of shoulder/ upper back mobility i always felt more comfortable squatting with this and also always found it easier to squat deeper using one vs a barbell

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Flyefit macken st have got in a safety squat bar which is nice. Old gym used to have one and i loved using it. given my general lack of shoulder/ upper back mobility i always felt more comfortable squatting with this and also always found it easier to squat deeper using one vs a barbell

How long before the neck pad comes off with abuse?

I do like them though. Have been using them for some squat assistance the last couple of training blocks and like them. And it's a welcome break for my elbows.

How long before the neck pad comes off with abuse?

I do like them though. Have been using them for some squat assistance the last couple of training blocks and like them. And it's a welcome break for my elbows.

Yeah i have no doubt it will be ruined by gob****es in a few months time so will try and take advantage of it while i can

Yeah i have no doubt it will be ruined by gob****es in a few months time so will try and take advantage of it while i can

Enough time for it to ruin you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

one of those has been in our gym for years now and still holding up well. not so many people are using it, mostly women.

j@utis wrote: »
    one of those has been in our gym for years now and still holding up well. not so many people are using it, mostly women.

A lot of people I've seen have a go with it don't know how to use it and promptly put it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

I use the SSB bar every week when using squats as an accessory ... I find it great for giving the elbows a rest but the dynamic of it is different, depending on the angle of the handles it can work the quads a lot more and allow for proper depth ... at heavy weights it will move quite a bit more and really work your core and stability.

whippet wrote: »
    I use the SSB bar every week when using squats as an accessory ... I find it great for giving the elbows a rest but the dynamic of it is different, depending on the angle of the handles it can work the quads a lot more and allow for proper depth ... at heavy weights it will move quite a bit more and really work your core and stability.

I always used to hear it'd work your core and was a bit sceptical but after it reappeared in my training, I could feel how much my core had worked afterwards.

whippet wrote: »

Yeah i only use about 75% of my back squat weights for my working sets but the relative instability of it definitely works the core more, my spinal erectors in particular get a great workout on them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm only doing them a few weeks now but so far, I've found them useful for hitting the quads and the spinal erectors harder. Haven't noticed it in the core, but then again, I haven't gone too heavy yet (~60-65% back squat).

I don't have an issue with sore elbows in general so can't comment on the usefulness there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Anybody use one of these trigger point devices? Buddy got one and I'm thinking of ordering after using it briefly - would come in handy for getting the back loosened after sitting for most of the day. You can leverage it and get a good bit of pressure on certain areas. Haven't used it for hamstring, quads or anywhere but seems to have a lot of good reviews so yknow what...that's it....you people can't hold me back any longer....I'm getting one and that's final!

Found caffeine tablets in The Gym Press at home that I'd bought a while back. Tried 400 mg doses twice in last couple of weeks and got nada.I don't drink a lot of coffee so I doubt it's cos I have a high tolerance. Thankfully I got them on special but don't bother yer hole if you're considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

If you dont usually take caffeine 400mg would feel like ecstasy

Yeah mine are 200mg and i hardly take them anymore they're very strong

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    If you dont usually take caffeine 400mg would feel like ecstasy

I have 2 coffees a day.

I'm not sure caffeine tablets are a great source of caffeine. I get more of an effect from an actual coffee.

I have 2 coffees a day.

I'm not sure caffeine tablets are a great source of caffeine. I get more of an effect from an actual coffee.

I thought you didn't drink much coffee

bluewolf wrote: »
    I thought you didn't drink much coffee

2 cups isn't much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Found caffeine tablets in The Gym Press at home that I'd bought a while back. Tried 400 mg doses twice in last couple of weeks and got nada.I don't drink a lot of coffee so I doubt it's cos I have a high tolerance. Thankfully I got them on special but don't bother yer hole if you're considering it.
    Were they out of date maybe? 400mg is a lot.

Were they out of date maybe? 400mg is a lot.

Thats what I did think and meant to check. Had a look there now and theyre still good. 400mg is a lot and I only tried it cos 200mg didnt do anything any time I tried before. If I had a double espresso, I'd know about it.

Thats what I did think and meant to check. Had a look there now and theyre still good. 400mg is a lot and I only tried it cos 200mg didnt do anything any time I tried before. If I had a double espresso, I'd know about it.

Could be a bad batch of tablets perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

What brand are they? Can't write off caffeine tablets as a whole based on one brand's product. I started use the myprotein ones a while back and find them pretty useful. I used to not understand the fuss about caffeine at all but now have a different perspective. Probably worth mentioning that I don't drink tea nor coffee (I know, I'm a weirdo) so my caffeine experience comes entirely from the tablet form.

DylanJM wrote: »
    What brand are they? Can't write off caffeine tablets as a whole based on one brand's product. I started use the myprotein ones a while back and find them pretty useful. I used to not understand the fuss about caffeine at all but now have a different perspective. Probably worth mentioning that I don't drink tea nor coffee (I know, I'm a weirdo) so my caffeine experience comes entirely from the tablet form.

Was Bulk Powders and yeah, it could be the batch or brand.

Tbh, i was really only curious to see what if any impact there would be off them. I drink 2 coffees a day so i have sone caffeine but I assumed I would get something from 400mg.

• Advertisement

Interesting. I must check that study out.

Advertisement