Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Interesting. I must check that study out.

You should. It breaks down the science behind it all and makes it easy to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Is there any way to find out how much caffeine is actually in a cup of coffee? Estimates online give a huge range and I can;t see it printed anywhere on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,392 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Is there any way to find out how much caffeine is actually in a cup of coffee? Estimates online give a huge range and I can;t see it printed anywhere on the label.

Would vary massively from cup to cup depending on how it's brewed, amount of coffee used, extraction time etc.
    Could probably find exact numbers for instant coffee

I think instant is 20-40mg

I got chocolate flavour coffee from aldi it's nice

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think instant is 20-40mg

I got chocolate flavour coffee from aldi it's nice

65mg apparently according to Nescafé

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think a 12 oz Americano would be 100-135mg. Probably examples of higher and lower but I think I remember hearing those numbers before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

My caffeine intake is probably above average. I'll have 9-12 cups of tea and 2-3 coffees a day. I definitely feel the effects of supplementing with caffeine. 400mg would have me fairly jittery.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

An hour of your day is just making hot beverages...and the rest is drinking them ?
    :)

An hour of your day is just making hot beverages...and the rest is drinking them ?
    :)

Pretty much. I work 12 hour shifts. Mainly office based now, so 1-2 cups of tea/coffee is the norm. Every time I’m finished one, the caffeine jones begins again.

they/them/theirs

I have one coffee on weekday mornings and the odd tea. I'll have a coffee on a weekend if I'm studying and need a kick, though pepsi max agrees with me better

• Advertisement

I possibly need to try a different brand.

400mg had no discernible impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Mellor wrote: »
    65mg apparently according to Nescafé

That's probably for their recommended serving (1 level teaspoon or sth?) I probably use twice that at least in a big mug :o:o

I think the amount of caffeine in freshly brewed coffee can vary depending on the beans so hard to tell but 50-100mg max per shot is probably a good guide - there would be more in french press or filter as it has more time to extract from the coffee.

I possibly need to try a different brand.

400mg had no discernible impact.

I think so. Or else buy an espresso maker. I recommend an aeropress

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I think so. Or else buy an espresso maker. I recommend an aeropreas.

I don't drink enough coffee at home to justify one. I only have coffee at home at the weekend. At work during the week.

I don't drink enough coffee at home to justify one. I only have coffee at home at the weekend. At work during the week.

An aeropress costs about €20. Great bit of kit. You should look into them.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I could be talking out my arse but I have a feeling caffeine tablets could lose some of their strength over time.
    I keep a bag of them in the car and maybe with that not being an ideal storage location I get the feeling I get more of an effect when I take one from a brand new bag compared to the last few in the old bag

Can get a big bag of caffeine powder from my protein for practically nothing.
    I favour powder over tablets for most things, lots of crap in tablets to keep them together
    ...pure caffeine is quite bitter though

Can get a big bag of caffeine powder from my protein for practically nothing.
    I favour powder over tablets for most things, lots of crap in tablets to keep them together
    ...pure caffeine is quite bitter though

Yeah I used to buy that too... Then one sleepy morning I almost mixed up my caffeine powder with my creatine. One nasty nasty avoided overdose later I decided never again will I buy powder.
    That said if it's the only powder you use its great value

What was a caffeine OD like?

My caffeine intake is probably above average. I'll have 9-12 cups of tea and 2-3 coffees a day. I definitely feel the effects of supplementing with caffeine. 400mg would have me fairly jittery.
    Probably above average? :pac::pac:
    Orobably 400-500mg over the course of a day there

• Advertisement

I had a quick Google there and the symptoms are lots of unpleasant things including death. What I would have accidentally taken would have been the equivalent of 20 cans of monster, definitely a bad start to the day

Death is a troubling symptom indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

An aeropress costs about €20. Great bit of kit. You should look into them.

Nothing to add other than it's probably the best ~€20 I've ever spent. Such a simple piece of kit, and along with my moka pot, I get consistently great coffee at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Extreme anxiety, restlessness and agitation.

Depends on the environment you're in but you could start over analysing everything in your head.

I took two and couldn't see properly for a while, up to half an hour maybe
    Good times
    Not really

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I have diagnosed myself with Hip Bursitis but will be going to the physio for an actual diagnosis. Anyone else ever had an issue with this. With physio work how long would it be expected to take to clear up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    I have diagnosed myself with Hip Bursitis but will be going to the physio for an actual diagnosis. Anyone else ever had an issue with this. With physio work how long would it be expected to take to clear up?

Wait and talk to the physio there is no point in meeting trouble half way. I'm guilty of 'google diagnosing' myself so I know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Wait and talk to the physio there is no point in meeting trouble half way. I'm guilty of 'google diagnosing' myself so I know what I'm talking about.

D'ya mean WebMD wasn't right about me being pregnant?! A man like myself can't be made a fool of!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

So just finishing up my second 6 week cycle of Hanley's strength programme. Really enjoyed it and it definitely worked in making me stronger however feel like a change to keep things fresh.
    Also going to go on a bulk as been stuck at 83kg for ages and would like to add a bit of bulk.
    Any recommendation for a programme that's good with a bulk for adding a bit of size?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

TRS30 wrote: »
    So just finishing up my second 6 week cycle of Hanley's strength programme. Really enjoyed it and it definitely worked in making me stronger however feel like a change to keep things fresh.
    Also going to go on a bulk as been stuck at 83kg for ages and would like to add a bit of bulk.
    Any recommendation for a programme that's good with a bulk for adding a bit of size?

Super Squats!

Advertisement