Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Just seeing the numbers. 832.5 total at 102.6 in his first comp in 105s after moving up. As a reference, that would have been 3rd in last year's Europeans and 6th in IPF Worlds.

Bronagh McPeake totalled 460.5 at a 65.6 in the 72s. Would have been 3rd at Euros and 7th at worlds.

Calibre.

Absolute beasts the two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

shakedown wrote: »
    Dtp1979 - What gains did you make from running 531 for a year?

I started mid March last year so then it’ll be officially a year.
    But from mid March 17 to Xmas 17 when i tested last here’s where I was
    Squat went from 120 up to 150
    Deadlift went from 170 up to 190
    Bench is hard to know cause I switched from tng to paused around October so that’s still up in the air
    OHP is an odd one too. Only the last few weeks am I starting to feel strong on it again. The first 4 months I prob got 5kg increase. Then hit a wall, and started going backwards. Only since Xmas has it started to get good again. Looking back now it was all down to technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

Just seeing the numbers. 832.5 total at 102.6 in his first comp in 105s after moving up. As a reference, that would have been 3rd in last year's Europeans and 6th in IPF Worlds.

Bronagh McPeake totalled 460.5 at a 65.6 in the 72s. Would have been 3rd at Euros and 7th at worlds.

Calibre.

serious lifters ... the bar just keeps getting higher !

there is only a handful of 500 wilks lifters in the country across all the feds.

looking at the IPO rankings you only have two lifters over 500 wilks .. in the Raw classic section (with wraps) and the 3rd place is a 499.9615 wilks (how close is that!!) .. i'm not sure about the IDPFA or IDPFF and GPC rankings

Lina O'Sullivan from ABS has a 525 wilks (raw classic as well)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Doing box squats for the first time ever. It’s a strange one.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Doing box squats for the first time ever. It’s a strange one.

I find them great. Just make sure you come to a dead stop on the box and then explode off the box

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    I find them great. Just make sure you come to a dead stop on the box and then explode off the box

Sound. Exactly what I did. At least the explosions was attempted.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,631 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've considered box squats recently but haven't tried them.

What bar position is best, or does it depend?

I've considered box squats recently but haven't tried them.

What bar position is best, or does it depend?

I didn't really consider any other option but low bar. It's the only way I back squat. I'd be interested to hear opinions on this too.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I did box squats low bar. The rationale for me doing them was to work the glutes/hips harder because you're loading the posterior chain more.

Wider stance and sat back more...so glute meds working on keeping knees pushed out and hips working on driving up and forward.

In that context, i dont see why you would do it high bar unless you're typically a high bar squatter.

a wide stance box squat can be really beneficial for Sumo deadlifters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

D'Agger wrote: »
    Anybody use one of these trigger point devices? Buddy got one and I'm thinking of ordering after using it briefly - would come in handy for getting the back loosened after sitting for most of the day. You can leverage it and get a good bit of pressure on certain areas. Haven't used it for hamstring, quads or anywhere but seems to have a lot of good reviews so yknow what...that's it....you people can't hold me back any longer....I'm getting one and that's final!

Just to update on this - got the cane and it's pretty handy - been training a bit harder lately so it's good for release - particularly pecs, shoulders, traps, upper body basically. Foam roller then for lower.

Also got a resistance band while I was ordering and have to say it's the business. Will be taking it travelling from now on, so handy for Shoulder press, seated press, Bicep curl and stretching too. Really enjoying small 10-15 min workouts with it in the morning or after work.

Box squat post mortem:

It'll take a while to really burn in the motor pattern, so I won't be going heavy for a few weeks. That being said, I can definitely feel the pressure shifted off the knees which was my primary motivation for doing them.

My posterior chain is fried today without changing anything else or going near a max effort on box squats.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

So after looking at both 5/3/1 and Super Squat programs I have decided to go with the Super Squat. The 5/3/1 seems similar'ish to the Hanley program I have been running so fancy something a bit different. It does look like a good program though so might try it after Super Squat.
    The Super Squat program is:
    Press behind neck – 3 x 12
    Squat – 1 x 20 supersetted with Pullover – 1 x 20
    Bench press – 3 x 12
    Rowing – 3 x 15
    Stiff legged deadlift – 1 x 15
    Pullover – 1 x 20

Couple of things, can I replace 'press behind neck' with OHP and 'stiff legged deadlift' with traditional deadlift?
    I plan on running this three times a week and doing some assistance work, dip, chin up etc on 2/3 other days.

TRS30 wrote: »
    So after looking at both 5/3/1 and Super Squat programs I have decided to go with the Super Squat. The 5/3/1 seems similar'ish to the Hanley program I have been running so fancy something a bit different. It does look like a good program though so might try it after Super Squat.
    Bench press – 3 x 12
    Rowing – 3 x 15
    Pullover – 1 x 20
    Couple of things, can I replace 'press behind neck' with OHP and 'stiff legged deadlift' with traditional deadlift?
    I plan on running this three times a week and doing some assistance work, dip, chin up etc on 2/3 other days.

You can make both of those changes. The SLDL's are a hamstring exercise without the same fatigue level as DLs so just be conscious of that fatigue levels in terms of recovery.

Bench press – 3 x 12            
    Rowing – 3 x 15                
    Pullover – 1 x 20                

You can make both of those changes. The SLDL's are a hamstring exercise without the same fatigue level as DLs so just be conscious of that fatigue levels in terms of recovery.
    Thanks Alf. Yes moving to doing the 'big three' three times a week rather than once will be something to watch however with a lower weight more reps type program I'm hoping this will not be an issue.

Thanks Alf. Yes moving to doing the 'big three' three times a week rather than once will be something to watch however with a lower weight more reps type program I'm hoping this will not be an issue.

Just because the intensity is lower, doesn't mean that you won't be fatigued.

The deadlift will induce more systemic fatigue and will be heavier than SLDL so just keep an eye on fatigue levels.

Just because the intensity is lower, doesn't mean that you won't be fatigued.

The deadlift will induce more systemic fatigue and will be heavier than SLDL so just keep an eye on fatigue levels.
    Will do, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Are you drinking milk with this? Wasn't that part of the program?
    I ran this years ago with half GOMAD and got quite far on it just falling short of 100 x 20 on my last day.
    I still do the odd 20 rep squat set now as I like the feeling of drowning outside of water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Is this the same programme?
    https://www.strength-oldschool.com/blogs/news/super-squats-how-to-gain-30-pounds-of-muscle-in-6-weeks

30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks? Count me in please :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

https://www.strength-oldschool.com/blogs/news/super-squats-how-to-gain-30-pounds-of-muscle-in-6-weeks

30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks? Hope you've got some syringes at the ready lol

Seriously though, I dunno why tf Randall Strossen actually put something out like this. Surely someone knows a ton about strength sports in general would know better than put some bs out like this.

• Advertisement

Bench press – 3 x 12
    Rowing – 3 x 15
    Pullover – 1 x 20

What are your 1RM squat, deadlift, bench and overhead press ?

The program looks like pants to me. No unilateral work at all.

they/them/theirs

It's not pants, its just not very balanced so you wouldn't want to run it long term.
    The way I remember it is you take a weight you can squat for 10 reps...now squat that 20 times, taking a breath or 2 between each rep as needed so you hit the 20.
    That is very very demanding and interesting. You feel like you're drowning as your body gasps for oxygen.
    I enjoyed it but 6 weeks is enough

It's not pants, its just not very balanced so you wouldn't want to run it long term.

Maybe “pants” isn’t the right word. But I would go near it.
    The way I remember it is you take a weight you can squat for 10 reps...now squat that 20 times, taking a breath or 2 between each rep as needed so you hit the 20.
    That is very very demanding and interesting. You feel like you're drowning as your body gasps for oxygen.

That was my understanding. I still think a nicely balanced linear progression program is the best choice for nearly everyone.

they/them/theirs

Are you drinking milk with this? Wasn't that part of the program?
    I ran this years ago with half GOMAD and got quite far on it just falling short of 100 x 20 on my last day.
    I still do the odd 20 rep squat set now as I like the feeling of drowning outside of water

I wasn't planning on drinking anymore milk then normal. I already get enough protein and might add a shake on workout days.

30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks? Hope you've got some syringes at the ready lol

Seriously though, I dunno why tf Randall Strossen actually put something out like this. Surely someone knows a ton about strength sports in general would know better than put some bs out like this.
             I don't believe for one minute i'll add 30 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks. I don't believe everything I read :)
    What are your 1RM squat, deadlift, bench and overhead press ?

The program looks like pants to me. No unilateral work at all.

130, 180, 95, 50? (haven't done heavy OHP in about a year)
              I plan to run this for 4 weeks initially and see how it is going.

I still think a nicely balanced linear progression program is the best choice for nearly everyone.
    Balanced definitely but LP depends on your training history. And to be honest most people need to vary their progression per movement and cookie cutter programs don't account for that.
    No way I can LP my bench or OHP, I need a wave or double progression approach. I currently have a back injury so when that is resolved I will start light and run a nice long LP on my squat but run a 531 style bench and OHP alongside that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Balanced definitely but LP depends on your training history.
    The shorter the history the better LP works.

Personally, whenever I focus on something else for a while, and then come back to it. I find LP works great to regain previous PRs. When it comes to hitting new PRs, then I find something a bit more complex.

Balanced definitely but LP depends on your training history. And to be honest most people need to vary their progression per movement and cookie cutter programs don't account for that.
    No way I can LP my bench or OHP, I need a wave or double progression approach. I currently have a back injury so when that is resolved I will start light and run a nice long LP on my squat but run a 531 style bench and OHP alongside that.

You're right of course. I didn't explain myself very well. LP is optimal for novice to early intermediate lifters. IMO it's abandoned far too early by a lot of lifters in search of a magic fix or boredom. I did a L.P. program all the way up to a 2xbw deadlift and 1.9xbw squat. I still feel I could have gained on it. But my training stalled due to kids and work.

they/them/theirs

You're right of course. I didn't explain myself very well. LP is optimal for novice to early intermediate lifters. IMO it's abandoned far too early by a lot of lifters in search of a magic fix or boredom. I did a L.P. program all the way up to a 2xbw deadlift  and 1.9xbw squat. I still feel I could have gained on it. But my training stalled due to kids and work.
    I would consider myself a novice lifter. Maybe I have misunderstood LP, however on this program you add 5kg to the squat every workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,631 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I would consider myself a novice lifter. Maybe I have misunderstood LP, however on this program you add 5kg to the squat every workout.

That sounds a bit much. 5lb maybe? 2.5kg sounds reasonable, but 5kg would burn you out after a few sessions

• Advertisement

That sounds a bit much. 5lb maybe? 2.5kg sounds reasonable, but 5kg would burn you out after a few sessions
    Correct, I misread it. You add 10 lbs/ 5kg a week.

Advertisement